INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Library on Qnap Nas  (Read 11082 times)

mattia kilo

• Recent member
JRiver Library on Qnap Nas
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:05:57 pm »

Hi every one, i need any help from the community for resolve one my doubt.

I have JRiver Media Center 20 on my laptop, all the music and the JRiver library it's located on a Qnap nas.

I Don't know if it's possible to access to my library from an other pc that it's not in the same network (it's the office pc).  ?

I've tried to make port forwarding, enable dlna and other things but i'm a bit confused and i don't know the right solution for my answer.  :'(

Thanks a lot for any kind of contribute!

Mattia

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Library on Qnap Nas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »

Can you map to the NAS, e.g. assign a drive letter?

That's one simple way to access media over a local network. Within MC, navigate to the folder and import the media (maybe even set up an auto-import). For audio, wireless shouldn't be a problem. Video is manageable depending on the bit rate and the connection speed.

If the NAS is DLNA capable, then that's another way of accessing your media.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Are you trying to access media externally?

That's a bit more involved:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:36 pm »

I think the OP has a laptop and a QNAS at his house.  In a separate building, his office, he has another PC.  I think he wants to access his JRiver music over the Internet, from his office to his QNAP and/or JRiver server(s) at home.

That's how I read it, but I could be wrong.  I also have NO idea how to make this work.  :)

Maybe someone else does?

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:09:46 pm »

The way to do this with JRiver is fairly straightforward.  You can access a JRiver library server remotely the same way you access a jriver server on your network, you just need to setup port forwarding as described here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#Access_from_another_PC_over_Internet

The only hitch is that you need a computer running JRiver on to be the server.  That means you'd need a second box besides your QNAP running in order to get remote access using JRiver's server/client protocol.  This can be ameliorated by allowing the computer to sleep and configuring wake-on-LAN, but some folks have trouble getting wake-on-LAN requests to work correctly when being forwarded from the outside WAN.

It's possible that your QNAP may support sharing it's DLNA server over the internet through your router, but that's a question for QNAP or your router manufacturer.  

The way I solved this family of problems was by setting up a home VPN. With a home VPN I can log in on my phone or laptop when I'm away from home and it's exactly like I was on my home LAN.  It's very convenient and can also be very secure depending on your setup.  I used a Raspberry Pi for mine, but many routers have built in VPN function as well.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »

The way to do this with JRiver is fairly straightforward.  You can access a JRiver library server remotely the same way you access a jriver server on your network, you just need to setup port forwarding as described here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#Access_from_another_PC_over_Internet

The only hitch is that you need a computer running JRiver on to be the server.

Do you also require a static IP address for this to work reliably? Dynamic addressing is mentioned in the Wiki post but it doesn't elaborate on the intricacies.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:19:07 am »

Do you also require a static IP address for this to work reliably? Dynamic addressing is mentioned in the Wiki post but it doesn't elaborate on the intricacies.

If you use the jriver access key system it should work even if you don't have a static IP (the access key is paired to your internal and external IP, and it updates them when they change, kind of like a dynamic DNS client).  If you use a direct IP connection you either need a static IP or a dynamic DNS service.

mattia kilo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:31:36 am »

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for the reply!

I will explain better my configuration and my problem:

At home: laptop win7  with JRiver Media Center 20

At home: qnap nas with JRiver library and music files (i use JRiver only for music). Qnap support dlna (for example with Twonky)

At home: Router Netear dgn2200 v4 (i think VPN capable)

At office: pc station win 7 with JRiver Media Center 20

What i need is to run jriver at office and use the library and the music that is on qnap, all with the home laptop turned off. It's possibile!?  ?

@astromo: i don't know if i can assign a driver letter to the NAS, probably it would be a solution... do you know how i can do this?

@mwillems: if i have understood about your opinion the best way it's to use VPN (and not dlna) to resolve my problem. What i have to do for make this solution?

Thanks a lot for any kind of contribute!  :)

Mattia

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:40:50 pm »

@astromo: i don't know if i can assign a driver letter to the NAS, probably it would be a solution... do you know how i can do this?

I didn't realise you were wanting to access your library remotely over the internet. That's where the advice from mwillems is relevant:
The way to do this with JRiver is fairly straightforward.  You can access a JRiver library server remotely the same way you access a jriver server on your network, you just need to setup port forwarding as described here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#Access_from_another_PC_over_Internet

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for the reply!

I will explain better my configuration and my problem:

At home: qnap nas with JRiver library and music files (i use JRiver only for music). Qnap support dlna (for example with Twonky)

At home: Router Netear dgn2200 v4 (i think VPN capable)

What i need is to run jriver at office and use the library and the music that is on qnap, all with the home laptop turned off. It's possibile!?  ?

This I think is where you are confused. your NAS is just being used as an external drive, the "media" server is located on your home laptop along with the library. You don't have to use a VPN, its an option (check your netgear manual). You can use your phone, another pc like your office laptop or a tablet to control and playback the pc at home remotely.... BUT both the media server (your home PC running JRiver) and your NAS have to be on or are set to to wake up when you want to access them remotely. The links the mwillems gave you should get you started. You will need to learn how to configure your particular router though if you don't know how already.

mattia kilo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:12:09 am »

So in office i can't use JRiver with library and music files located on the home nas? I only need to play music in my office without having music files and library located in the office, it's possible? I'm confused...  :-\

Thanks to everybody for support,

Mattia

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:23:59 am »

So in office i can't use JRiver with library and music files located on the home nas? I only need to play music in my office without having music files and library located in the office, it's possible? I'm confused...  :-\

Thanks to everybody for support,

Mattia

It's absolutely possible.  Your NAS is just a drive (or array of drives) with files on them.  Getting remote access to those files requires setting up a file-sharing or remote access solution.  There are two paths you can take for remote access:

1) If you want JRiver Media Center to handle the remote sharing of your files for you, you need to have JRiver running on a computer at home so that your office computer has a JRiver server to "talk to."  The wiki has instructions on this (linked above).  This is pretty easy to setup as JRiver handles a lot of the "hard stuff" automatically.  But you have to have a computer running at home with JRiver on it for this way to work.  If you don't want to have JRiver running on a computer at home you'll have to use path 2), which is harder.  

2) If you want to handle your own remote sharing of files to access the files on your NAS directly while at work, you will need to work out your own file-sharing or access solution (whether DLNA, SMB, FTP, or VPN-based).  This is more complicated and will require you to figure out how to do one of those other methods with your router and your NAS.  I don't have a QNAP NAS, and I'm not familiar with your router, so I can't offer specific suggestions.  You'll probably need to do some research into the file-sharing and remote access options offered by your router and NAS.  Some routers have integrated DLNA, SMB, or VPN modules; if your router offers one of those, maybe try that (but I'd advise doing some research into how to use those methods safely).

The point is that JRiver offers an easy way to do what you want to do, but it requires a computer running at home.  If you want to access your NAS remotely without using the JRiver solution, you'll need to work out a way to make it so that your office JRiver can see the files on your NAS.

mattia kilo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:48:17 am »

Thank you mwillems, now i have understood the situation. I need the second solution that you have mentioned. I think that i have to make this steps:

- enable vpn, dlna or something similar for my NAS
- enable the port forwarding at home and in office (jriver tell me the number of port to open)
-and so i can give to jriver the address where the library is

It's right?

in JRiver i have to go in "file/library/connect to remote library".

And then what kind of address i have to input? my home WAN address with the number of the port? Or what?  ?

Thanks a lot!

Mattia

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:54:55 am »

Thank you mwillems, now i have understood the situation. I need the second solution that you have mentioned. I think that i have to make this steps:

- enable the port forwarding at home and in office (jriver tell me the number of port to open)
-and so i can give to jriver the address where the library is

It's right?

in JRiver i have to go in "file/library/connect to remote library".

And then what kind of address i have to input? my home WAN address with the number of the port? Or what?  ?

Thanks a lot!

Mattia

You're half way there.  The issue is that you won't be able to use the "connect to remote library option" because you aren't using the JRiver method.  You'll probably need to just import the files at work and set up a second library. 

The best way to share a synced library is to use the JRiver server system.

mattia kilo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:42 am »

Hi! Ok, so i have to:

-  create a new library on the office pc, the library should be empty or i have to import a clone of my home library?

- at office "file/library/ sync library", what i have to put in the "library server" space?

Thanks a lot!

Mattia

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 11:43:51 am »

1) enable vpn, dlna or something similar for my NAS
2) enable the port forwarding at home and in office (jriver tell me the number of port to open) based on what ports the solution you use in 1) need to work (VPN uses different ports than DLNA, etc.)
3)  create a new library on the office pc, the library should be empty or i have to import a clone of my home library?
4) at office "file/library/ sync library", what i have to put in the "library server" space? import the files into the new blank library or import the DLNA library if that's the the solution you chose in 1)

I've edited your steps to make it clearer what needs to happen.

mattia kilo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:13:25 pm »

Thank you mwillems! Now i will work to enable VPN!

I will let know!  ;)

Mattia
Pages: [1]   Go Up