INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best workflow for DVDs and Blu-rays  (Read 11521 times)

RC23

• World Citizen
best workflow for DVDs and Blu-rays
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »

I am looking for the best workflow with DVDs and Blu-rays. Ripping will be done by DFDfab PassKey and JRiver to ISO format. Then the ISO will be converted to mkv by MakeMKV.

If I scan the JR MC20 forum by the term "mkv" there are several postings with reading problems with these mkvs. Does come with MC21 an improvement?

Hint:  DFDfab PassKey is until 31th August for free if you buy a lifetime license of DVDfab products.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: best workflow for DVDs and Blu-rays
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

You will need the makeMKV product (free) http://www.makemkv.com/. However, MakeMKV will also remove the copy protection so you don't need DVDfab.

The problem with ripping the full disk to ISO is that JRiver can't work with BD menus. Plus all those ads, trailers, multiple languages, and extras waste a lot of disk space.

It's my preference to just rip the "main movie" and lossless sound track and leave out the rest. MakeMKV will do it either way. If you rip just the movie, JRiver will start to play it without any fuss. JRiver has no problems with MKVs, you might be reading about trying to get 3D movies to work in JRiver.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:21:42 pm »

You will need the makeMKV product (free) http://www.makemkv.com/. However, MakeMKV will also remove the copy protection so you don't need DVDfab.

MakeMKV is only able to read DVDs and Blu-rays without "Cinavia" protection... DVDfab can ...

.... If you rip just the movie, JRiver will start to play it without any fuss. JRiver has no problems with MKVs.

Thatīs fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

MakeMKV is only able to read DVDs and Blu-rays without "Cinavia" protection... DVDfab can ...

Cinavia is of no importance if you plan to only play it in MC, and not anything else.

Note that removing cinavia will usually degrade the audio quality quite a bit. Its not like other copy protections.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »

Cinavia is only required for licensed Blu-ray players. Any unlicensed player such as JRiver or MPC-HC won't have a problem. Any Blu-ray ripped to MKV by MakeMKV will playback just fine in JRiver.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 02:30:22 pm »

Cinavia is of no importance if you plan to only play it in MC, and not anything else.

o.k.

Note that removing cinavia will usually degrade the audio quality quite a bit. Its not like other copy protections.

An interesting info. Well done.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:51 am »

The problem with ripping the full disk to ISO is that JRiver can't work with BD menus. Plus all those ads, trailers, multiple languages, and extras waste a lot of disk space.

It's my preference to just rip the "main movie" and lossless sound track and leave out the rest. MakeMKV will do it either way. If you rip just the movie, JRiver will start to play it without any fuss. JRiver has no problems with MKVs, you might be reading about trying to get 3D movies to work in JRiver.

Agreed. All you really need is MakeMKV. In addition to dealing with DRM it also can handle region codes (in my experience in 99+% of cases), depending on the drive your using. I deal with problem discs via the external ODDs that I've picked up and/or changing PC until I get a working rip. The only hassle with MakeMKV is that it saves files as (by default) title00.mkv, title01.mkv, title02.mkv &&&

The software can't pick up on the track name, so some manual intervention is required.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:19:42 am »

Oh darn. I didn't know that, and as I use DVDfab Passkey to play Blurays on MC, Passkey is always running in the background, so it always strips Cinavia.

I'll have to change to using MakeMKV on my workstation instead, then copying the result over. Grumble grumble.

Or, I could just change the options not to remove Cinavia. I think that is in the settings.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »

... I deal with problem discs via the external ODDs that I've picked up and/or changing PC until I get a working rip.

What do you mean with external ODDs?

The only hassle with MakeMKV is that it saves files as (by default) title00.mkv, title01.mkv, title02.mkv &&&
The software can't pick up on the track name, so some manual intervention is required.

A little handwork is negligible for the actual freeware MakeMKV.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »

What do you mean with external ODDs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_drive
- an ODD that you plug in via USB.

Learnt something - look here for info on changing the output filename logic in MakeMKV.

Note: to make the above work within MakeMKV, you need to enable Expert Mode via:
   View>Preferences>General>Expert mode = check
Once you've done that you'll see Advanced show in Preferences and the Properties options appear on the main dialogue.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

... Note: to make the above work within MakeMKV, you need to enable Expert Mode via:
   View>Preferences>General>Expert mode = check
Once you've done that you'll see Advanced show in Preferences and the Properties options appear on the main dialogue.

Thanks for your hint. :)

I will take it for my workflow.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:30:45 am »

I tried the makeMKV option but the video quality degrades somewhat during format conversion. I use AnyDVDHD to remove the copy protection and just rip the entire BD to iso. JR plays the disc fine (Clone CD to automount the iso) without issues and I like the option of playing back additional content whenever JR incorporates the ability to do that. HD space can be added easily when needed. Are you really saving that much by ripping the main movie while preserving the audio+video quality as best as possible? I learnt this the hard way about 10 years ago when I ripped the DVDs only to realize I had to redo them for better quality when HD storage came easy and I was also getting picky about video and audio quality.

--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 11:42:26 am »

MakeMKV does not, and cannot, degrade video quality.  It rips the video in the original format directly and wraps it in a MKV file.

It isn't a transcoder.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 11:43:04 am »

*All meta information is preserved in MKV and compressed media data (video, audio, subtitles) is not changed in any way it is always possible to transcode MKV files into original format - so if your getting some sort of degradation, then you are doing something wrong.

* from http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:40:32 pm »

I tried the makeMKV option but the video quality degrades somewhat during format conversion. I use AnyDVDHD to remove the copy protection and just rip the entire BD to iso. ...

You have done comparisons between iso and mkv version. Which differences do you notice in the picture quality?

Interesting for me was the posting of Hendrik that removing cinavia will usually degrade the audio quality quite a bit.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 02:30:25 pm »

Based on what CountryBumpkin and glynor say, I am not certain what happened when I tested this couple of years ago. The video quality wasn't perfect comparable to BD playback.

I have two toddlers and usually scrambling for time. The quickest and easiest way for me is to pop the BD and rip to iso using AnyDVDHD- takes about 40 mins to rip to a NAS directly from my old LG BD/HD-DVD drive. I may save about 30% space out of a 40GB BD converting to MKV but I get the satisfaction of having the entire BD in the my library so that it is future proofed. If JRiver ever gets the ability to play extras or I chose another capable media player down the road, I do not have to worry.

You have done comparisons between iso and mkv version. Which differences do you notice in the picture quality?

Interesting for me was the posting of Hendrik that removing cinavia will usually degrade the audio quality quite a bit.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 03:36:46 pm »

I tried to reply earlier, but after typing a twenty minute response, I bumped the mouse and all was lost (why does moving the mouse delete my reply window?).
Anyways...

Cinavia is a "watermark" encoded* into the audio track, so the current method to circumvent this annoyance is to delete the lossless audio track (leaving AC3) which AnyDVD+CloneBD does, or to replace the audio track (which DVDfab does from its database of movie audio tracks).

AnyDVD also has a feature that fools the BD player into not triggering Cinivia if you play a BD on a computer (with a Cinivia enabled player like PowerDVD) while AnyDVD HD is running in the background. But if you want to remove Cinivia completely from the disk, there isn't a good way (yet) to do it without messing with the audio track.

* "encoded" may be the wrong term (someone will correct this if I'm wrong).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 05:15:18 pm »

* "encoded" may be the wrong term (someone will correct this if I'm wrong).

Nope. That's right.

I may save about 30% space out of a 40GB BD converting to MKV

Converting to MKV using MakeMKV does not save any space over ripping to ISO (nothing substantial anyway), except if you don't rip the extras.  Assuming you rip everything available on the disc, they should be roughly the same size (save the size required for the menu system, I suppose, and maybe slightly more efficient storage).  Certainly not 30%.

I suspect you were ripping using a different application that re-compresses the video to H.264 MKVs and shrinks them to save space, and remembering wrong.  This can be done well, but is "lossy".

MakeMKV cannot do that.  It only rips the original files and decrypts them, and then "wraps them" into a MKV. It does not re-encode them, and is also quite quick (for this same reason). It usually rips BluRay movies on my system in 20 minutes or so (though this depends on the film in question, and the size of the rip).

The main benefit to ripping to ISO is that it preserves the menu system. This is certainly a benefit, I suppose, if you like that sort of thing. To me, it is a "good thing" to get rid of those horrible things. But using ISO rips does also have substantial file management and ease-of-use limitations.

It is a trade-off, but not a quality trade off, was the point I was making.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

I just use MC to Rip to Folder Structure (ANYDVD HD running in the background).
- Easiest Method of all, no remuxing, transocding, and you get all the content on the disk
- MC Autotags as part of the ripping
- No need to mount an ISO for play back
- MC just plays the Main Movie but gives you access to all the playlists from it's OSD
- Can create Particles for Alt Endings, Episodes etc
- Can access the BD Menu using 3rd party SW (eg PDVD) when needed
- Can burn back to a physical disk if needed

...and HDD space is cheap these days, with 8TB hdd around $300 or about $1.5 to store a full BD
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 06:55:06 pm »

I just use MC to Rip to Folder Structure
I don't rip BDs that often, but when I do, I also rip the whole folder structure, for much the same reasons. But I use the DVDfab Passkey functionality to do that, since it is then one application doing all the work. I might look at using MC as the front end to that, but is there any advantage?

. . . replace the audio track (which DVDfab does from its database of movie audio tracks).
Do you have a reference for that. I must admit, I am being lazy as I haven't searched, but that surprises me. Does that mean I need an internet connection to rip a BD with DVDfab, and it downloads the Cinavia free audio track?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:25 am »

I don't rip BDs that often, but when I do, I also rip the whole folder structure, for much the same reasons. But I use the DVDfab Passkey functionality to do that, since it is then one application doing all the work. I might look at using MC as the front end to that, but is there any advantage?
As I have AnyDVD HD running in the background, MC just sees the BD as an unencrypted disk and hence can rip/copy, tag etc all in one go.
JRiver CEO Elect

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:38:05 am »

As I have AnyDVD HD running in the background, MC just sees the BD as an unencrypted disk and hence can rip/copy, tag etc all in one go.

This should also work with DVDfab Passkey and MC.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 07:30:48 am »

Off topic - is there an advantage to a usb 3 blu-ray player for ripping? Is usb 2 a bottle neck?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:02 am »

Do you have a reference for that. I must admit, I am being lazy as I haven't searched, but that surprises me. Does that mean I need an internet connection to rip a BD with DVDfab, and it downloads the Cinavia free audio track?

I did a search to provide backup of my statement, and it looks like I was wrong. I was thinking of DVD-Ranger (which has the database where you download a fix for each movie).

From the article:

DVD Ranger
DVD-Ranger has released their CinEx HD module. For a long time this software was the only application that made it possible to end up with a Cinavia free copy of your movie. You can use this software to make copies of your movies that playback on any device and any Blu-ray playback software but need to download a database that's specific to the movie first.

DVDFab

DVDFab is able to copy a whole lot of movies that are protected by Cinavia using a proprietary BDMVREC format Their software doesn't actually remove Cinavia but it creates an AACS protected "backup" that will play on selected Blu-ray playback software.

AnyDVD (** Recommended **)
Slysoft has added support for removing Cinavia from Blu-ray movies since April 2015. Previously the company only tricked the Cinavia detection routing of a select few software Blu-ray players. Because the new version actually removes the Cinavia signal from the audio track when used with CloneBD, the copy will work on all Blu-ray players, both hardware and software based.
from

source: http://www.myce.com/article/cinavia-the-copy-protection-that-doesnt-want-to-be-silenced-68001/
Pages: [1]   Go Up