INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Option to keep WDM/IPC stream constantly active wanted  (Read 1887 times)

Spacebug

Option to keep WDM/IPC stream constantly active wanted
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:48:11 pm »

I would very much like an option to keep the WDM input stream constantly active, even during silence.

The reason being I use jriver as audio processing in the background and never play media files from jriver.
I route all sounds played on the PC through jriver for processing as I like it's competent DSP engine.

As the WDM driver acts now there is some delay before it kicks in, quick sounds may go unnoticed.
I'm also getting about 10s of silence if I seek or restart audio from youtube inside webbrowser.
It would seem like WDM driver loses the stream, stops playback and then waits some 10s before playback starts again.
The same 10s stopped playback occurs when starting audio with wasapi exclusive acess to the WDM driver,
causes 10s silence at the start of all of my videos.

I previously used wasapi loopback which worked great, with the downside of not being able to use exclusive access to the loopback soundcard.
So windows audio mixer resamples all audio being played before it reaches jriver via wasapi loopback.
Wasapi loopback stream stopped as well if no audio was playing, I solved it then by setting my line-input to feed audio to the loopback soundcard constantly.
That worked well as I sometimes plug in my phone and play music to the line input, so keeping it constantly active suits me well, and it gave the loopback soundcard some noise (though I can't hear it) to keep the playback in jriver active.

Not being able to use matched samplerates through the playback chain with wasapi loopback is not an ideal solution so I'm trying out the WDM driver now.
But the WDM driver way of getting audio constantly to jriver does not seem to be quite so easy as I thought it would be.

I would very much like an option to make the WDM driver and stream being active constantly.
Or if someone might know a way to fool the driver to be constantly active.

The trick I used before when I kept the line-in feeding the default soundcard (wasapi loopback card) did _kinda_ work with the WDM.
It kept the IPC stream active, but playing something that uses wasapi exclusive access to the WDM driver hijacks the driver (as it should).
However, the "listening" to the line-in stream does not begin again after the WDM driver is released from exclusive mode, so the stream dies after some seconds due to silence.

The alternative to use wasapi loopback instead has been foolproof for some years now but it causes resampling of all sounds, something I would like to avoid if possible.

Any suggestions?

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Option to keep WDM/IPC stream constantly active wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:43 pm »

I notice this issue too when playing from PowerDVD with JRiver WDM handling audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up