INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver on a laptop to play audio files on a PC thru my stereo  (Read 2829 times)

jocar37

• Recent member

I'm new to JRiver and am still trying to figure a lot out. I bought MC 21 and want to use it to play music through my stereo.

I have a PC in my basement that has a ton of high res audio files.  A usb cable connects the PC to a DAC in my living room stereo. While the PC does have internet connection through my home wifi network, for some reason, I can't join this particular PC to my home group. It seems like things would be easy with a homegroup connection.  Maybe not.

I can access the PC's audio files and play them through my stereo via Remote Desktop Connection. But this is a really cludgy way to do it.  Is there a way I can set up JRiver on my laptop to play the basement audio files through my stereo without using Remote Desktop Connnection?

Sorry if this has been addressed before.  I tried finding some help on my own, but nothing I saw was really on point.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

blgentry

Re: Using JRiver on a laptop to play audio files on a PC thru my stereo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

Which computer has JRiver installed? Basement PC or Laptop? Both?

If you have a direct connection from basement PC to DAC and DAC to stereo, I think you have the *classic* use case of remote control via one of the JRiver apps.  Gizmo (for android for free) or JRemote (For iOS or Android for about $10).  JRemote gets rave reviews, but I haven't personally seen it in action.  I've used Gizmo on an Android phone and it was pretty good. 

I think a tablet (like an ipad) would be ideal for this kind of thing myself.  A touch screen interface to all of your music, right in your lap.

Otherwise, if you want the full JRiver interface, the links that BryanC provided can help you to get JRiver set up as a server on the basement PC and as a TRemote (different than JRemote) client on the laptop.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Using JRiver on a laptop to play audio files on a PC thru my stereo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:47:14 am »

Tremote on the laptop is your answer. It is just an installation of MC running in Client mode, on the JRiver Media Network.

What versions of Windows are you using on the Deskop/Basement PC and laptop?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/set-up-a-private-network-home-in-win7/3a7ed5e0-8d57-478e-8644-9633291cc8d5?auth=1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-other-computers
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up