INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 won't start  (Read 2126 times)

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 21 won't start
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:37:05 pm »

I've been having this issue for a couple weeks since I upgraded from MC20 to MC21.  When I restart the computer, MC21 will not launch.  I have to manually launch MC21. I have made sure that under options/Startup that the Media Center and the Media Server are to startup with the start of windows.   I have checked the registry keys as talked about in another article, and found that it wasn't there, so I uninstalled and reinstalled MC21.  The key is there now, but it won't launch.  I've checked the task manager and in services I found "J River Media Center 21 Service" started, but under processes nothing is started for MC21 until I manually launch MC21.  I think MC21 is trying to launch at startup, but windows is stopping it.  I've also gone into the services and made sure that MC21 is automatic startup, and it is also on the startup menu with the registry key identified.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 21 won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:02 pm »

I've also gone into the services and made sure that MC21 is automatic startup

You altered this yourself, and this will break MC.  It should be set to Manual.

MC starts as a user-space application, not a service, and then the application itself launches the service as is needed. If you have the JRiver Media Center 21 Service set to load automatically at startup, it loads before any user is logged in as the system user, and then MC itself (when it tries to launch) it is unable to load its own service (and probably crashes the whole thing).

Set the Service back to Manual in Services.msc and then simply set the startup option normally through the MC Options dialog. It sounds like you have it messed up so you might need to:

1. Toggle MC's Startup option back off
2. Close MC fully (including the notification area Library Server icon if running)
3. Re-open MC and toggle the option back on

That should get you sorted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC 21 won't start
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:12:36 am »

Did as you stated.  MC21 still doesn't launch at start up.  I have reset the MC service back to manual.  Even made sure everything was off.  Restarted the computer and behavior as before, no MC21 launch at startup.  I then uninstalled and reinstalled MC21 with no change in behavior.  I then went over your steps a couple more times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  MC21 still won't launch.  I am getting the impression that MC21 is trying to start at startup because one of those swirling circles start, but then abruptly stops.  Could Microsoft's User Account Center be running interference?  How does MC21 get around this on other computers?

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC 21 won't start (solved)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

I figured out what was wrong.  Evidently, I had checked the box in MC21 properties/compatibility that required administrative privileges to run MC21.  Unchecked the box, and MC21 would launch at startup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up