INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag Format Question for Release Date Field  (Read 1892 times)

Sosha

• Recent member
Tag Format Question for Release Date Field
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:25:35 am »

I am still learning a lot about MC and need some help here.  I am wondering if I can change the way my tag field "Date (release)" is used.  I want to be able to type in the 8 digit date 08292015 and have it come out like this 08/29/2015 by automatically putting in the forward slashes.

I know MC has a lot of expression options and ways to customize your information, so pardon me if there is an obvious method to do this and I am just not seeing it, but like I said, I am still learning.  Thanks for your help.  ;)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tag Format Question for Release Date Field
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:18 am »

I am still learning a lot about MC and need some help here.  I am wondering if I can change the way my tag field "Date (release)" is used.  I want to be able to type in the 8 digit date 08292015 and have it come out like this 08/29/2015 by automatically putting in the forward slashes.

I know MC has a lot of expression options and ways to customize your information, so pardon me if there is an obvious method to do this and I am just not seeing it, but like I said, I am still learning.  Thanks for your help.  ;)

Interested to know when this field became available and what role it plays.

FWIW: I have been jamming the actual release date into the standard Date field all this time....

Any long range implications on this?

VP

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:37:51 am »

[date]=TDRC
[date (release)]=TDRL

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90199.0

There are ways to formate the date, but not on the fly as you type them

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:55:43 am »

Is this just to keep you from typing in the slash ( / ) characters?  Or are you doing some sort of mass tagging from an external file? Or something else?

If it's just a matter of ease of entry, I'm not sure how to do that.  But I've tested entering it like this:

12 11 1999

MC recognizes that correctly as 12/11/1999.

I know how to convert from 11121999 to 11/21/1999 with an expression.  So for example, you could type or paste your 8 digit date into another field like Comment.  Then run the expression to convert it to the right date format.  In my example with putting the 8 digit date in the comment field, you'd past this expression into the Date (released) field to convert it:

Code: [Select]
=regex([comment],/#(..)(..)(....)#/,-1,0)[R1]//[R2]//[R3]
I just chose comment because it's a free form field and I have very, very few comments in my library, so it was a safe field for me to use as a test.  You could create a special field for this express purpose if you wanted and populate that field.  Then convert with the expression.  You may or may not be aware, you can run an expression on MANY files at once.  Just highlight them and paste in the expression into the field and it will run for all at the same time.

I'm not sure of your exact requirements, but I hope this helps.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up