INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Idea.... have a choice of what MC User is used for a playlist.  (Read 2173 times)

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe

... unless it's already possible and I don't know it....

I'd like to be able to specify an MC User to be used when displaying a playlist/smartlist.

If no User was specified, the playlist would use the current User.   It would only change MC User for that playlist.

I generally use an MC User set up to not show any tracks with Rating 1.  These are tracks I've rated 1 to later review and if I still hate the track, delete it.

I'd like to be able to just click on the smartlist to show me all tracks with Rating 1 without having to switch to the Administrator User first, then remember to switch back to my normal MC User.

Arindelle

Re: Playlist Idea.... have a choice of what MC User is used for a playlist.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:18:34 pm »

Changing users seems a very complicated way of doing this. ;)

First, I'd suggest using views not smartlists

You can have a "admin" View for when you want to see the 1 ratings ? Set your 1 ratings to be hidden on all normal views, then yu would never have to change. They are basically just powerful smartlists. You set the filters and send to a new or existing playlist. You can also import the smartlist criteria directly into a new view, so no time is wasted there.

Setting up an Admin Group separate from the default tree groups is very handy. Easy to mix media types in the same view and keep unusual views out of the way.

If you still want to work off smartlists then create copies -  ones that include the one star and ones that don't. Create a playlist group and file away the 1 star lists to keep them separate

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:37:01 pm »

Thank you for the reply. 

I think using Views may work, except for PlayingNow...  I can't find any way to add filters to PlayingNow.

One advantage I like for using Users (or at least an effect of using them) is that once I rate a track 1 using my NoRating1 user, then that track cannot be played by that user.  So if for example I set a track to rating 1 and then move on to the next track, then try to to back, it skips the Rating1 track and goes to the prior track.

So I see how to use Views to limit me from seeing any Rating1 tracks for all views/lists, except for PlayingNow.

Is there a way to set filters for PlayingNow?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

Is there a way to set filters for PlayingNow?
no, it just a list of what is/was playing and cued ... not sure you would want to .. sort of defeats the purpose

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

no, it just a list of what is/was playing and cued ... not sure you would want to .. sort of defeats the purpose

Actually I do want PlayingNow filtered, which is why I use a "user" for this.  Once I set a track to Rating1 I don't want it played ever again.  Even if I still see it in PlayingNow, MC just skips over it as I would expect.

So for example, I'm listening to a new album.. .along the way I may rate one or more tracks to Rating1 using a remote control around my house.  Then using that same remote control, I restart that new album over again, I do not want to hear those tracks I set to Rating1.  And using a "user" with Rating1 filtered does that.  In this example, I have not even seen my PC MC screen.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:29:30 am »

ok ... your pseudo is JUSTIFIED  ;D

just remember if you use Views and or filtered-smartlists, this will never happen as you will no longer be cueing the one-star files at all. So you will not be seeing them! Not sure you understand how this works.

The only application I can see is that if you are in the process of rating songs that have yet to be played, they will not be immediately removed. 

Regardless, currently, the only way to visually filter the playing now window is by typing or using the wizard from the search box when playing now is in focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up