INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPC zoneswitch  (Read 4290 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
IPC zoneswitch
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:36:09 pm »

I have a zoneswitch set up for any external content through the wdm driver that is named "IPC". Only it isn't switching to that zone. When I play netflix or something it plays through the IPC zone but doesn't switch to it. The audio plays but my volume control is controlling the current zone, I.e. music zone. I have to manually switch to the ipc zone to gain control. Has anyone else experienced this?

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: IPC zoneswitch
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:35:31 am »

I have the same experience.  It renders ZoneSwitch useless for me.  I have seen this issue brought up several times and it seems to be largely ignored.  I can't imagine a technical or logical reason for not autoselecting the active zone upon switching zones.  

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:41 am »

I have the same experience.  It renders ZoneSwitch useless for me.  I have seen this issue brought up several times and it seems to be largely ignored.  I can't imagine a technical or logical reason for not autoselecting the active zone upon switching zones. 

There's a very good technical reason: if you're using the internal browser in MC, switching the active zone stops the video playback!  By starting playback in the IPC zone without switching to it folks can use the internal browser in MC to watch netflix with the WDM driver.  Anytime you navigate away from a zone in the internal browser whatever was happening in the browser stops.  Additionally the lack of auto-switching prevents the IPC zone from stealing focus when something tries to engage the WDM while something else is playing back in the regular zone (which would be very frustrating). 

I agree that the volume control issue makes it much less convenient when using an external browser, but there are volume control workarounds (like using Gizmo to control IPC zone volume, for example, which is what I do).

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:03:14 am »

All I'm truly interested in is getting Netflix and Amazon Prime to integrate well with Theater View (I specifically say Theater View, as I never want to leave Theater View and want MC to operate as much as possible like an appliance).

Currently, I have Theater View links for Netflix and Amazon configured to launch an external program (Chrome) in full screen mode.  And it works decently.  I mean, my 5-year-old can easily turn on the TV and navigate in Theater View to "Netflix" and watch his shows and have control over the volume...that is if I don't have ZoneSwitch enabled.  If enabled, he tries to adjust the volume but it is controlling the default main zone "Player" (which is not active).  I can't exactly tell him to "exit Theater View, go to Standard View, use the mouse and go over to Playing Now and click on WDM zone" (in fact, in my mind, if I ever have to tell someone to "exit Theater View and go to Standard View" to fix something, that is a huge fail and a literal showstopper for me).

So, I leave ZoneSwitch disabled and configure my default main zone ("Player") to have buffers set to 10 ms (both "Buffer" and "Live Latency") in order not to have lip sync issues with WDM audio from Netflix.  This works well 99% of the time.  But, on occasion, I get audio hiccups (manifested as pops, clicks, stutters) while watching Live TV with my HDHomeRun Prime.  This leads me to searching the forums every few months to see if anyone has figured out a fix.

I love the WDM feature.  I think it's brilliant.  I think the ZoneSwitch is pretty cool too.  I just wish there was an option to autoselect the active zone upon switching zones.

PS
There are other minor issues with WDM in terms of seamless integration with Theater View that I am omitting

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

All I'm truly interested in is getting Netflix and Amazon Prime to integrate well with Theater View (I specifically say Theater View, as I never want to leave Theater View and want MC to operate as much as possible like an appliance).

I understand the issue, I wish it were more seamles too, I'm just pointing out that there's a good technical reason that it works the way it does.

Currently, I have Theater View links for Netflix and Amazon configured to launch an external program (Chrome) in full screen mode.  And it works decently.  I mean, my 5-year-old can easily turn on the TV and navigate in Theater View to "Netflix" and watch his shows and have control over the volume...that is if I don't have ZoneSwitch enabled.  If enabled, he tries to adjust the volume but it is controlling the default main zone "Player" (which is not active).  I can't exactly tell him to "exit Theater View, go to Standard View, use the mouse and go over to Playing Now and click on WDM zone" (in fact, in my mind, if I ever have to tell someone to "exit Theater View and go to Standard View" to fix something, that is a huge fail and a literal showstopper for me).

A few tips for you:

1) Netflix has an onscreen volume control that works well as long as the IPC zone is set to a sane default volume (which is easy to do when it's a separate zone). So by the time you've picked up the mouse, there's no reason to leave theater view.  Just change Netflix's volume right on the screen without navigating anywhere, change it on the fly while watching something. That's what I've advised my family to do, and after one or two false starts, they remember that "you have to use the on-screen volume for netflix."  Additionally, Netflix's integrated volume can even be made to work with a conventional WMC IR remote control using a plug-in: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100725.0, so you never have to touch the mouse. I'd suggest you take a good look at the plugin in the linked thread, I think it will solve a number of the issues you identified.

2) Even if you do actaully need to change zones for some reason, you don't actually have to leave theater view to change zones.  There's a zone chooser in one of the rollers in Theater view (I think it's the top roller, but am not sure, I'm not in front of my HTPC right now).  So you can change zones from theater view.  That's a bit of faff, but I thought I'd mention it for your reference.

If those won't cover your use case, explain what you're bumping up against, it's likely there's a fix or workaround.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 01:02:16 pm »

First, I really appreciate your thoughtful responses and help (not only in this thread, but across the forum).

Additionally, Netflix's integrated volume can even be made to work with a conventional WMC IR remote control using a plug-in: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100725.0, so you never have to touch the mouse. I'd suggest you take a good look at the plugin in the linked thread, I think it will solve a number of the issues you identified.

I have seen that and think it sounds great.  Unfortunately, I am pretty much tied to Windows 7, as I still require WMC to play back copy-once channels (my hopes dashed by the failed kickstarter campaign).

Pages: [1]   Go Up