INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Incomplete Albums  (Read 5216 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Question on Incomplete Albums
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »

I know this has been talked about before here, but I'm stumped. I have some incomplete albums that are not incomplete ... but they are.

AlbumArtist and Album Artist(auto), Artist, Album are the same for all tracks

All tracks are sequential, most are multiple CDs (for multiple CD albums I rip to ALBUMARTIST\ALBUM\CD1\.... ALBUMARTIST\ALBUM\CD2\ not ALBUMARTIST\Album disk1\...  ALBUMARTIST\Album disk2\)

I have even filled in new fields like number of disk number of total tracks etc.

I have one CD of a multiple set wich is marked complete, one is marked incomplete.

I also have a couple of single disk albums that are not complete when they are

Can someone confirm what constitutes an incomplete album? Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Question on Incomplete Albums
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:01:49 pm »

They have to be in the same directory as well, by putting different disc numbers in different directories that's probably what's breaking it.

The logic is here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums#Complete_Albums

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »

They have to be in the same directory as well, by putting different disc numbers in different directories that's probably what's breaking it.

The logic is here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums#Complete_Albums

thanks for the quick reply mwillems, but read that one already  ;) but they are not just multiple cds for one, there are ALSO single albums that have this problem.  And if that were the case why wouldn't all my multiple cds have this issue? .. makes me think there was a change in the past year or so and is affecting only imports after that .. and filepath changes maybe not sure

I have have 3000+ multiple set cds imported that way (which IMO is a hell of a lot more logical .. I have a box set of everything mozart composed -- 170 cds sure its an exception but I have a lot of >5 cds per set ... for classical music this is pretty important actually. OK its  only my opinion of course). Only a small percentage is coming up "incomplete": 188 albums out of 7143 .... 6445 tracks are affected out of 102,701.

I admit I don't check this often, but I know there are a lot more than there were. Most of these have been imported in the last 6 months or re-organized on my hard drives during that period.

I suppose it doesn't matter too much as I know these are complete :) but I do have 50 or so albums that are actually missing tracks or are misnumbered so it is sort of nice as an admin tool. These "new fields" that maybe are not so new : complete albums; total tracks; total disks etc; the latter two are basically empty ... I'm wondering if there has been a change that I have not been aware of. Regardless there are albums that are now incomplete that were not a year ago ...

Also this is not only for multiple cds as I said ... one thing I noticed is that I think these cds might have been re-organized after import .. I'll try removing one and see if it sorts itself out.

PS-

Come to think of it why should the pathname have anything to do with it? Its a database.

Total number of CDs ok; total number of tracks ok; sequential numbering ok, same album artist (or not for multiple artist albums) ok;  same album name sure I get it logical -- but these total fields are empty other than those I have manually entered to see if I can fix this, so there is no actual counting of tracks going on here. I'm thinking that the wiki logic was maybe based on eventually auto-filling these "total fields" by the criteria in the article? Unless this [Complete Album] field which for some reason I never noticed before is being marked with a "1" on import and is not adjusting afterwards?? This could be complicated for classical buffs that are not as OCD as I am.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:45:14 pm »

I just ran into one exactly as you describe...tagged properly, in a single folder, yet still incomplete.  I too was wondering, it's likely I have more but I'm just in the middle of a big re-organize so I'll find them if there are more

The total tracks and total discs DO NOT have to be filled to gain completeness that much I know...

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:13:33 am »

I just ran into one exactly as you describe...tagged properly, in a single folder, yet still incomplete.  I too was wondering, it's likely I have more but I'm just in the middle of a big re-organize so I'll find them if there are more

The total tracks and total discs DO NOT have to be filled to gain completeness that much I know...
yep, thats why I was wondering if there is some transition thing going on where these fields are going to be used. As I said even if you fill them out it doesn't change the complete status.

In looking briefly again today .... most of the "multiple" cd albums are even more curious than I thought.  What it seems to be doing on import is marking the 1st CD as complete and then the subsequent ones as incomplete.  I was worrying that this pathname thing might be by design, but if it is marking the first cd as complete there is probably something a bit quirky as ALL the discs should then be marked incomplete.  Using the stock smartlist "Audio -- Task -- Incomplete albums" - this is based on [Complete Album] being false.

That field (relatively new?) is non-editable.

for info: Also for Singles (flac singles are purchasable btw) seems like the web standard that I have seen is putting the track number at 99. These are of course are coming up incomplete too. Changing the track to 1, does not seem to change it to complete.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »

When I've had this happen, it's usually because there's one or more duplicate tracks hiding somewhere in my collection. Maybe an old partial album or a track in a compilation, etc. Changing the offending files name just a bit may solve the problem. A close look at the Artists & Albums detail view might find the culprit.

The other thing I try is selecting all the tracks and doing a rename of the artist, album, albumartist... sometimes there's some minute difference in one of the fields (but you've likely already tried that).

That can sure get me pulling my hair out!   >:(
William

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:29:54 pm »

If you browse to CD2 or CD3 inside MC, and select all files, and look in the tag window...

Neither Album nor Filename (path) should show [Varies] and all track #'s should be sequential. I know you know that, but have you had a look at what MC is working with from within the library?

As William has said, sometimes, it looks the same, but is not, and looking at the tag window with all relevant files selected is a good way to see if MC agrees with you about them all being the same...

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

ok checked this out and Marko is right except that, as mentioned correctly in the Wiki all track # have to be sequential BUT they also have to start with "1".

Going backwards, all the multi-cds I have that "passed" these test were not ripped or tagged correctly (along my system at least). There are a few single disk CDs that are still a mystery, but probably I just missed something.

Long story short, it doesn't matter how many sub-directory levels you have or if you have one root Album Folder or one per CD..... CD1 passes because it is sequential AND it starts with 1 (as long as all tracks have the same albumartist(auto)/same album name. CD2 does not pass because although they are sequential AND the first track starts with one in the folder, the track sequence shown in MC is (1+last-track#ofCD1).

If the must start with 1 rule is not in place, all would "pass the test" for a complete album. I guess I get the logic of this as it has found a few album were the first track is missing, this is more of a rarity for me at least. If a track is missed its not necessariliy track #1 ... some albums have hidden tracks that are purposely out of sequence too.

Wish it wasn't a criterion. I was wondering if these fields (total tracks and total disks) if filled in could be in a way to override this rule (like an either/or rule. I'm not willing to give up the luxury of consolidating the numbers in one large sequence (or using multiple sequences for classical works) just for an admin tool, (for me, the original track numbers are written to the file on rip, not the re-sequenced library ones and I have the track number as part of the file name if I need them - so the metadata is not lost)

so if this isn't possible ... anybody want to give me the expression behind this (leaving out the must start with track#1? I suppose I could add a custom tag and make my own complete rules too, sor of PITA , but not the end of the world

thanks for the input in any case guys

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:23 am »

ok checked this out and Marko is right except that, as mentioned correctly in the Wiki all track # have to be sequential BUT they also have to start with "1".

Going backwards, all the multi-cds I have that "passed" these test were not ripped or tagged correctly (along my system at least). There are a few single disk CDs that are still a mystery, but probably I just missed something.

Long story short, it doesn't matter how many sub-directory levels you have or if you have one root Album Folder or one per CD..... CD1 passes because it is sequential AND it starts with 1 (as long as all tracks have the same albumartist(auto)/same album name. CD2 does not pass because although they are sequential AND the first track starts with one in the folder, the track sequence shown in MC is (1+last-track#ofCD1).

If the must start with 1 rule is not in place, all would "pass the test" for a complete album. I guess I get the logic of this as it has found a few album were the first track is missing, this is more of a rarity for me at least. If a track is missed its not necessariliy track #1 ... some albums have hidden tracks that are purposely out of sequence too.

Wish it wasn't a criterion. I was wondering if these fields (total tracks and total disks) if filled in could be in a way to override this rule (like an either/or rule. I'm not willing to give up the luxury of consolidating the numbers in one large sequence (or using multiple sequences for classical works) just for an admin tool, (for me, the original track numbers are written to the file on rip, not the re-sequenced library ones and I have the track number as part of the file name if I need them - so the metadata is not lost)

so if this isn't possible ... anybody want to give me the expression behind this (leaving out the must start with track#1? I suppose I could add a custom tag and make my own complete rules too, sor of PITA , but not the end of the world

thanks for the input in any case guys

Is there a reason why you don't want each CD in a box set or multi-CD album to start with track #1? That's generally how the songs are numbered on the discs themselves. I don't see the benefit of doing it any other way.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 10:56:19 am »

Is there a reason why you don't want each CD in a box set or multi-CD album to start with track #1? That's generally how the songs are numbered on the discs themselves. I don't see the benefit of doing it any other way.
Well good question .... I started doing this for classical music ... as I subdivide the album into works for a number of reasons ... an Opera is nice to have in one sequence for instance as these are often on multiple cds but the Acts don't necessarily start at the begining of a CD. You might be on the fourth track of act 2 on CD3. Or the 3rd movement of a Symphony with track #1 sort of blows too. The info you see in JRemote or Theater view is limited in playing now, too

For pop and jazz this is less important I suppose but if I'm listening to the white album by the beatles I tend to listen to it in order, so I just started sequentially tagging them from 1 to the end, and just got used to it. If I rip everything into one subfolder these would pass too. I do not write the changed track numbers to the files, nor do I mess with the actual file names .. so I can always cross reference to Discogs or Allmusic if I want to after the fact.

Then I started to have a bunch of albums that were really two or more albums re-issued. I wanted to use the original artwork and separate the album via the tags.  Stax has re-released a lot of great soul albums that way, most wer only available on vinyl before ... Then I bought some box set that had all the e.ps and albums (like a Joy Division and My Bloody Valentine set - and I wanted to separate those out too :) Of course when you start splitting albums out like that it is normal that those appear incomplete.

At least the filepath can be sub-divided like I do otherwise that would be a real drag for me (for one Opera I have 4 versions -- 18 different cds -- long filename problems guaranteed, not to mention the mess on the hard drive. I was really reacting prematurely to that.

I guess I was surprised because it was awhile that I checked this and was surprised at how many albums were marked incomplete, is all! I'll just set-up a different view and tag my complete albums "complete" in some way and use that as a filter. Or use those fields total tracks total disc, simpler than regex.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:02:27 pm »

I would suggest that you simply create a new field for the 'fake' track #'s if that is an easier way for you to manage the songs. I think the best practice is to keep everything consistent in the default tags (track # and disc #) and use custom tags to go off the beaten path, so to say. You can alter the display rules in Theater View to sort by your custom numbering field. I don't use JRemote so I don't know if it can use custom fields.

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »

I would suggest that you simply create a new field for the 'fake' track #'s if that is an easier way for you to manage the songs. I think the best practice is to keep everything consistent in the default tags (track # and disc #) and use custom tags to go off the beaten path, so to say. You can alter the display rules in Theater View to sort by your custom numbering field. I don't use JRemote so I don't know if it can use custom fields.
I'd agree with you but until Theater View and JRemote have the ability to modify what you see in the player (playing now) frame, like in standard view, that won't work for me. Custom Tags (or even standard ones that aren't shown by default) can't be seen. (excpet on an info screen in Theater View or burrowing into the tag information via JRemote.

Hopefully when they make this possible, I'll just update the library form the file tags (or filename) nothing's lost, like you suggest Bryan. It would be a quick fix.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:17 pm »

Good points, Arindelle. While my collection is more Rock/R&B oriented, it wouldn't bother me if the 'Disc#'  allowed multi-disc albums with continuous numbering (i.e. (disc 1 = 1-12), (disc 2 = 13-26), etc.) to be considered complete.

Most of my "browsing" views are limited to 'complete' albums (to keep singles from compilation albums from cluttering up the view), and I've run into this sequential numbering issue a few times. I've tried condensing them into one 'disc', but then the titles get too small to read, even on the big screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up