INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) Redundant? RESOLVED! (My bad..I think..)  (Read 2718 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) Redundant? RESOLVED! (My bad..I think..)
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:04:28 pm »

Hi,
I notice that in the latest version of MC20 you went back to writing the standard replaygain tag while analysing Volume thanks for that.  Not a big deal but any particular reason why you still have a Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) duplicate?

And from what I understand on how volume levelling is done for audio I don't really see the point to have R128 as a separate entity...

My point is it would be great for JRiver to stick with the "Standard" way of tagging.  Makes it easier for compatibility with handhelds and other softwares.

Unless there is something I'M missing?

One more thing I believe the Unit should be present in the replaygain tag (dB)
thx

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) Redundant?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:02 pm »

Hi,
I notice that in the latest version of MC20 you went back to writing the standard replaygain tag while analysing Volume thanks for that.  Not a big deal but any particular reason why you still have a Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) duplicate?

And from what I understand on how volume levelling is done for audio I don't really see the point to have R128 as a separate entity...

My point is it would be great for JRiver to stick with the "Standard" way of tagging.  Makes it easier for compatibility with handhelds and other softwares.

Unless there is something I'M missing?

One more thing I believe the Unit should be present in the replaygain tag (dB)
thx

The two systems of analysis are different and typically produce different results.  R128 is the international standard and is probably a more accurate measure of volume level.  The replaygain tags are still written for compatibility with other players, but JRiver doesn't use them anymore. 

As far as I know both tags have been written by the analyzer since R128 was introduced.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:38 am »

I understand the analysis is different or rather outdated and R128 is better.

So pretty much everyone uses R128 now but have implemented it in the standard replaygain tags.  I guess an analogy could be a codec and its container, two different things.

So unless there's something I don't understand it would be great if MC use the standard replaygain tags for compatibility.

Thx

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:40:55 am »

I think it does, my iphone thinks so at least ... here's a tag dump

Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
  44,1 kHz Sample Rate
  16 Bits Per Sample
  2 Channels

Min Block Size = 4608
  Max Block Size = 4608
  Min Frame Size = 14
  Max Frame Size = 15682
  Padding Block = 2918 bytes

REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN = -9.06 dB
  PEAK LEVEL (SAMPLE) = -0,1 dB; -0,1 Left; -0,1 Right
  DISCNUMBER = 1
  VOLUME LEVEL (R128) = -14,0630598068237305
  COUNTRY = U.S.A.
  STYLE = Indie Rock
  REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK = 0.989000
  DYNAMIC RANGE (DR) = 7

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) Redundant?; RESOLVED (My bad...)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:23:17 am »

INDEED IT DOES I stand corrected!! I really don't understand why I didn't see them before maybe I was running an older version on my work PC.  I'll play a little more with this and report back..

Looks OK to me now and it's doing exactly what I want.  Not sure why volume level tags get created still but it doesn't really matter as the standard ones get created. good stuff.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Volume Level (REPLAYGAIN) Redundant? RESOLVED! (My bad..I think..)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:49:15 am »

I think I found the bad version for my tags: 20.0.87. Everything after that seems OK.
thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up