INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 doesn't seem to play my DSD files (i.e. won't convert to PCM on the fly)  (Read 1395 times)

madfloyd

• Recent member

This is supposed to work by default and I've searched through the options for any related settings and can't find any.

I have a PCM only DAC (Berkeley Alpha Ref) and want to be able to play my DSD files but MC20 either just doesn't play anything or hangs.

Any advice?

(thanks in advance)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You need to tell MC to convert files with a sample rate greater than 384K to a lower sample rate. That converts DSD (>384k) to the PCM sample rate you want. Do that in Tools - Options - Audio - Settings - DSP & Output Setting.  check Output Format and see the sample rate conversion you want.  When the file is playing, you can check the output format in Audio Path - the 3 vertical squiggly lines at the top right of the display, next to shuffle and  repeat.

When converting DSD to PCM you need to filter out high frequency noise. By default MC uses a filter of 24 KHz@48dB/octave. If you want to change that you can set the input plug-in to not convert (Tools - Options - Audio - Advanced - Configure  Input Plug-ins - DSD )and set your own filter in DSP Studio (same place you set the DSD to PCM conversion) under Parametric Equalizer. I use 60 KHz@48dB/octave. If none of that makes sense, just use the default.

madfloyd

• Recent member

Thank you VERY much for the reply.  I'm all set now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up