INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convolution issues with an active speaker system  (Read 1942 times)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Convolution issues with an active speaker system
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:38:59 am »

A little background.......I have l and r 2.5 way speakers plus 2 subs so that's 8 channels. Dac is a firewire 12 channel Echo AudioFire12 using ASIO. MC version 20.0.131. Active crossovers are all done in MC's PEQ. The first PEQ block does the channel routing, and the second block takes care of the eq/xo filters.

What I'd like to do is fix the phase wrap at the crossovers with a single convolution filter which is located before both PEQ blocks, and play with some stereo effect filters. I have done this in the past and it works. The problem is......convolution doesn't work anymore. I created a simple 24dB/octave phase linearization filter at 1.1khz in rePhase. MC is showing 2 paths processing at about 20.0x real time, but the audio stutters. The filter was created at 44.1khz as are my audio files. I tried changing the filters settings by altering the fft length and taps with no change. Switching from 12 channels in the output mode to two channels (so only the tweeters are playing) seems to work just fine. I've tried 7.1 channels, 12  channels, and 2 channels (in a 7.1 container) but nothing works. I tried using Wasapi or Kernel but my device only works with ASIO. Anybody else have this problem?

I should add that when I did have it working before it was on the same hardware. I'm on Win10 now but it "broke" when I was on Win8.1 but I also had it working on 8.1 so.....IDK. One thing I haven't tried is setting the output format to 2 channels, and then using a config file to do the channel routing. Since it works with 2 channels only maybe I'm onto something there?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Convolution issues with an active speaker system
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »

Have you fiddled with buffer sizes?
has there been a change in the firewire driver perhaps? the driver readme says it has a firewire analyser that gives you stats on what the driver sees so that might be a good place to look - http://files.echoaudio.com/drivers/windows/Echo_FireWire_%205.8_PC_readme.pdf

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1015007-echo-audio-windows-10-a.html suggests they might never provide a formal w10 update so you might want to consider rolling back to w8.1

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »

I do convolution the way you do (2 channel filter ahead of all the channel routing).

I'm seeing normal behavior with the 2 channel in a 7.1 container output option (which is what I've been using for some time).  This is on Win 10 (but with a Steinberg output device, obviously).

Any tips on getting it to break?

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »

Fixed it! I forgot that there was an adjustable ASIO buffer in the driver control panel. It was set at 512 so I bumped it up to 1024 and that did it. We'll see if that fixes my WDM pops and clicks.

Matt - thanks for reminding me of the Firewire analyzer. That has been useful in the past....I just forgot it was there. Unfortunately Echo discontinued their entire product line for a new network based system so I'm not surprised they aren't updating drivers. I don't think my driver has been updated in some time. Fortunately it works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up