INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update suggestion: re: JRiver's multi-lingual capability  (Read 1631 times)

tbng

• World Citizen
Update suggestion: re: JRiver's multi-lingual capability
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:11 pm »

I was going a little daffy as to why "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" is not appearing the proper sequence when every other title does.  Then if finally hit me.  I have JRiver sort option set to ignore articles, and it recognizes "Eine" as an article even though it is German.

Can we have an option to ignore articles only in the language that we are using?  Perhaps also allow individual file exceptions?  For example, I would want the musical "A Little Night Music" to sort on "A" because it is one of those rare cases where the article is an integral part of the title.  On the other hand, I would want "The Flying Dutchman" to ignore "The."  That means turning on ignore articles but making individual exceptions.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Update suggestion: re: JRiver's multi-lingual capability
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:06 pm »

You can choose which articles are ignored already in options (so you could remove "Eine" from the list).  The selective sorting for the same article in different ways can't be done currently.

tbng

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:24:25 pm »

I hadn't seen that feature before, obvious as it was  when I went there.  Thanks.   That resolves the "eine" problem but not the "A Little Night Music" sorting issue.  I would still like to have the abilty to make invidual selections exempt from the ignore article rule.

Think about it JRiver for v.21.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:24:22 pm »

Actually there IS a way to selectively ignore or include the leading articles. To use your case, you need to replace the regular space character between Eine and Kleine by a non breaking space character. If you do that, the text looks the same, but Eine Kleine is then treated as one single word which is therefore not subject to the leading article exclusion rules.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

Actually there IS a way to selectively ignore or include the leading articles. To use your case, you need to replace the regular space character between Eine and Kleine by a non breaking space character. If you do that, the text looks the same, but Eine Kleine is then treated as one single word which is therefore not subject to the leading article exclusion rules.

Very clever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up