INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: importing files into main library  (Read 2335 times)

deanoliver

Problem: importing files into main library
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:08:13 am »

First post so Hello to all!

I've switched from foobar to MC20.
Now I have a problem. I use MC on an HTPC, Windows7 on SSD and my music is stored on an internal HDD.
If I want to import a new album from another drive (USB stick for example), I have following problem:
Import works fine and I can see the new album in my library. But even after import the new album roots still back to the drive were the album comes from.
So no problem to play the album until the source is connected to the HTPC. When I disconnect the USB stick MC sends error because of wrong root.

What I'am doing wrong? I've tried all but can't find a setting that avoid this.
I have to rename the album by hand and can tell MC that right root now is drive M:\ ....  and not E:\but I'm sure that this isn't the solution.

Even if I copy a new album via explorer into the music folder (HDD), MC reports an error...

Maybe someone can help me.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Oliver

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem: importing files into main library
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:19:43 am »

Welcome Dean.  I'll try to address your questions below.

If I want to import a new album from another drive (USB stick for example), I have following problem:
Import works fine and I can see the new album in my library. But even after import the new album roots still back to the drive were the album comes from.

This makes sense.  MC's "import" function is different than some other programs you may have used.  "Import" in MC just adds files to it's internal database.  It leaves the files where they are.  It doesn't move or copy them anywhere.  Your process for adding new files to MC is probably going to be slightly different than what you are used to.

There are several things in MC that can help you with this:

1.  Auto Import.  MC can monitor a folder for you, and any time you add files to this folder, anywhere in the folder, or in any subdirectories below this folder, MC will import the music into it's library.  It still doesn't move the files, but it will automatically import them when you drop them into the folder structure.  Note that Auto Import can monitor more than one folder if you want it to.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

I use Auto Import on a couple of top level directories.  I drop downloaded files into a structure in one of those folders.  For songs I rip from disc, I have my disc ripping application set to put the files into a directory structure that is *also* monitored by auto import.  In both cases, I see new music pop up in MC within around 20 seconds of it being put there.  Which is awesome!  :)

2.  Rename, Move, and Copy tool.  As the name implies, this tool can manipulate files on disk for you.  For the files you have already imported, you might use RM&C to move them to the folders you want them to be in.  If you have already moved the files "by hand", outside of MC, then MC will have lost track of those files, because it thinks they are on the original drive.  In that case, you can use RM&C to update where MC is looking for them.  Use the "update" mode to change where MC is looking for those files to be.

But RM&C is more powerful than just moving a few files.  It's really designed to work with templates to organize all of your music into a folder structure that makes sense to you.  You can easily give it rules like this:

M:\Music\RIPS\[Artist]\[Album\[Track #] - [Name]

For all the files you select, and apply this template to, it will move them to according to the rule.  So you can have a very organized structure based on the metadata about the music files, naming them based on their properties, in a way that makes sense to YOU.

There's a fairly long, but excellent article about RM&C that you should read over if you're interested:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Feel free to ask questions; it's an intricate topic.

I hope this makes sense to you.  Good luck!

Brian.

deanoliver

Re: Problem: importing files into main library
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:01 am »

Hello Brian,

Thank you very much for your detailed information!

I will try - and the RM&C tool seems to be the best choice for me to proceed. I didn't realize the power of this tool as it sounds to me like an "repair"-tool.
But writing a template will sort things in the way I like :D

So I will report when I have done it.

Thanks again!
Oliver
Pages: [1]   Go Up