INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing folders not working right  (Read 1554 times)

elpeefan

• Recent member
Importing folders not working right
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:59 pm »

I have an external HDD with 600 or so LP's digitized @ 192/24 on a MAC mini, using the "Pure Vinyl" program. The MAC file structure shows the individual disks by catalogue number, and clicking each one opens up the adjacent column showing the individual track titles. The top folder is "D:/MyBook/LP RIPS. When I try to import these, and select the "D" folder "LP RIPS" shown, and then "finish", it goes through the procedure, finishing with "27,876 new files imported". BUT, it has put all the "track 1's" in alphabetical order, then all the "track 2's", followed by "track 3's"... How can I import these so each LP record has only the numbered tracks that are on it?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing folders not working right
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 05:37:05 pm »

It sounds like maybe your tracks aren't tagged with metadata.  The information about the Album, Artist, song Name, etc.  Do those columns (Album, Artist, etc) have values?  Or are they blank?

You might try some different views in the Left Navigation Pane like Audio > Albums to see how they look there.

If your tracks don't have any metadata, you'll need to add it somehow.  Do the file names and/or directory names have some or all of that data?  If so, you can probably use the Fill Properties From Filename tool to populate some or all of the metadata.

A screen shot or two of what you see might make it easier to diagnose and remedy your issue.

Brian.

elpeefan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:02:23 pm »

Thanks for the reply - I realized after posting that it was to the Windows thread instead of the MAC, but the problem is happening with both versions. The AIFF files were done with the MAC, but using a cable called j5Create JUC400 "wormhole switch" USB, I can drag the folders with the track files one folder at a time, from the MAC HDD to the Windows computer HDD. If I "import" that folder to the MC20 WINDOWS, and use the "tag" option, when I drag a second folder the same way, it adds without mixing it with the first file. I was hoping for a fix action that would allow to import the whole library, as 600+ discs one-at-a-time is laborious. I have done an MD5 CRC check on several files before and after dragging from the MAC to the PC, and the compare is always the same, and I can't hear any difference. A basic problem is I don't understand the MAC file system very well. I have no idea how the "metadata" is embedded; the CD rips and the LP rips both look the same re track numbers and titles in a sub folder - seems to me the subfolder with the individual tracks should stay with the higher folder they're a subset of. I have found previously that if I import a lot of these and then, after having put the titles and artist in the "tag" window, if I delete the library and re-import it, they all come out right. I have updated both versions to MC21, no change to the way the import is handled.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »

I'm kind of flying blind here because you haven't really told me, or shown me what it is that you see, specifically.

Let me see if I can point you in the right direction about metadata.  The filename and the directory names have no relation to the metadata. The metadata is stored inside the file in tags.  Tags like Album, Artist, Track #, etc.  This is important.  Because JRiver displays Metadata Tags pretty much everywhere and doesn't really show you the file names or directory names unless you go looking for them.

Which is a good thing if you think about it.  Do you want to memorize your file structure on disk?  Or would you rather just go looking for the Album titles you want, or the Artist names you are interested in?  Metadata drives JRiver's views.

I'm not sure what tags you do or do not have in your files.  I also don't know which view or views you are using.  A screenshot or two would help.  Or an exact description of what view you are using, and what the columns look like for a particular album.  Is there an artist column filled out?  Or is it blank.  How about the Album column?  Filled out or blank?

Your description of importing is a little confusing, but there's an important point here.  Importing one song at a time, one album at a time, or 600 albums at a time won't make any difference in how JRiver displays the songs once they are imported.  Which is a good thing.  You can easily import everything at once.

I'm betting that you are looking at some view like Recently Imported or something like that, and it's sorted funny.  Please try a regular Audio view and see how it looks.  Go to the Left Navigation Pane.  Find Audio.  Then try Albums.  Try Artists.  Try Panes.  These should all show your songs grouped together as albums if your metadata is correct.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up