INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 bit DACs  (Read 3517 times)

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
24 bit DACs
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:13 pm »

I have a lynx Hilo (24 bit DAC) and while using MC on my Windows machine I can locate within Tools/Options the ability to set the device driver to dither the output to 24 bits by checking a box that says: "Device uses only most significant 24-bits".
This option is not available within the settings for the device driver on my mac machines. I am assuming this is because there is no specific Hilo driver needed for the Macs. If this is true, does the Mac's Core Audio automatically dither the audio from 32 bit to whatever has been set within the Audio/Midi utility or is there some way to have this occur within MC prior to output to Core Audio?

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: 24 bit DACs
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »

Just by way of follow-up, I see that I may not have been clear that I was only stating my hypotheses as to what may be happening here with the dithering on the mac, in hope that someone can comment. I would welcome any information on these issues as I think I understand how it works on the windows side but here am merely guessing. Thank you.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »

The windows option exists because many windows ASIO devices request a 32-bit input, but then only use 24-bits at the output.  These devices may or may not dither down to 24 bits internally, so the option is there to ensure that such devices at least get some dither at the appropriate bitdepth.  Most non-ASIO devices on the windows side only request a bitdepth that they can actually use (a 24-bit DAC would only request 24-bits) so JRiver does the dithering correctly already.

I have no idea what the situation is on the Mac side, but I thought I'd offer confirmation of what's happening on the Windows side if that's any help.  The audio path may be able to tell you what's happening on the Mac side in terms of Bitdepth.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:56:07 pm »

To get more information, you should also open the OS X utility called "Audio MIDI Setup".  It's in Applications > Utilities (on the system drive).

This will let you see what bit depths and sampling rates your device accepts.  Click on the device on the left.  Then on the rigth you'll have an area to see/set the BD/SR .

I think you probably have absolutely nothing to worry about.  24 bit dither is essentially inaudible. ...and anything 32 bit being sent to a DAC is just a dream anyway.  The 8 bits between 24 and 32 mean nothing in terms of audio.  Really.  :)

Brian.

carbas

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »

Recently I bought a Cambridge Audio DAC 100. I have a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.10.5), and the DAC is not working with th JRiver MC. Sound is corrupted, like faltering.
With ITunes it runs very well.
JRiver recognizes the DAC, but probably there is some configuration that I am missing. I already tried this:
Set Output Encoding to None.
In the Sample rate list set all frequencies from 44.1kHz to 384kHz to No change.
Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »

I should put this in the wiki...

Try my standard "safe" audio settings for MC:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > (select your device here.  Don't use Default Device)

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings:

Open with exclusive access: Unchecked
Integer Mode: Unchecked
Channel Offset:  0

Buffering:
Software:  250 mS
Hardware:  Hardware Default

Let us know how that works for you.  ...and good luck! 

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up