INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 and MPD  (Read 3988 times)

danhardison

• Recent member
MC21 and MPD
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »

Hello,

I have Debian Jessie and mpd working, but I can't get MC21 to play.

My computer lists two sound devices, 0 is HDMI and 1 is my USB DAC. In my mpd.conf file I have "device "hw:1,0" and like I said, mpd works.

In MC21, under Playback Options, I don't know what card to select. There is a long list, and I haven't found any that work. (I can't remember the exact error message).

I have a hunch MPD might be locking the sound card exclusively, but that may not be true.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Any advice to debug this?

Dan

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 and MPD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:02 am »

Hello,

I have Debian Jessie and mpd working, but I can't get MC21 to play.

My computer lists two sound devices, 0 is HDMI and 1 is my USB DAC. In my mpd.conf file I have "device "hw:1,0" and like I said, mpd works.

In MC21, under Playback Options, I don't know what card to select. There is a long list, and I haven't found any that work. (I can't remember the exact error message).

I have a hunch MPD might be locking the sound card exclusively, but that may not be true.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Any advice to debug this?

Dan

Look for a hardware device that starts with
front:
That should work unless as you say mpd has it locked.

The other non-hardware devices are usually all locked to 48k sample rate. You could try playing something at 48k or setting dsp studio to 48k to see if that gets around your issue.

run /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 21/alsacap from a terminal line to see a list of your devices.

Check Awesome Donkey's tutorials if you want to find out how to share the audio device between MC and other stuff on your system if you don't want MC to control the hardware device directly.

danhardison

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:26:02 pm »

Thanks Bob. Will try that.

Where are those tutorials? I don't think I've seen them.

Dan

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:48:10 pm »

They're stickied at the top of the linux forum: see e.g. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99333.0

danhardison

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »

See attached alsacap output. I notice my card 0, HDMI, has a long list of high sampling rates. I only use the HDMI output for video. I hadn't thought about using it for sound, as I want to use my external USB DAC.

Does anyone do it this way?

Dan

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:56 am »

See attached alsacap output. I notice my card 0, HDMI, has a long list of high sampling rates. I only use the HDMI output for video. I hadn't thought about using it for sound, as I want to use my external USB DAC.

Does anyone do it this way?

Dan

Plenty of people do use HDMI and I'm not an expert but I'd expect that your DAC would have higher quality output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up