INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: driver needed to use usb out to usb in on Mcintosh MX-121 preamp  (Read 3593 times)

nickphoenix

driver needed to use usb out to usb in on Mcintosh MX-121 preamp
« on: September 20, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »

Anybody know what driver is needed to use usb out of Mac powerbook, to usb in on Mcintosh MX-121 preamp. Want to output sound from Media Center 21 to my stereo. THANKS!!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: driver needed to use usb out to usb in on Mcintosh MX-121 preamp
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:42 am »

I read through the manual for the MX121 a bit.  It can do a lot of different stuff with the network port and the USB input.  Frankly, most of it seems like things I wouldn't want to do.  For example, you can navigate Pandora radio directly from the MX121.  It seems kind of difficult to use for that type of thing.

As far as I can tell, the USB input can be used to directly connect a (compatible) ipod.  Or it can be used with a USB thumb drive.  I do not think you can connect a computer via USB and use the MX121 as an external DAC for the computer.

Depending on how you plan to use your computer with the MX, you could connect it in several ways.  I think the way I would choose would be to buy an external DAC, and connect that DAC from computer to DAC with USB, and then from DAC to MX121 with RCA cables, going in to an unused RCA input.  The MX121 has LOTS of RCA inputs, so you'll certainly have at least one pair free.  Decent DACs start at about $99 and go up to about as much as you could possibly want to spend.  There are a WORLD of choices when it comes to DACs.

The MX121 also supports AirPlay, but that wouldn't be my choice personally.  It might work fantastically for you.  <shrug>

Good luck on your project.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up