INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USA TV Setup  (Read 34142 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
USA TV Setup
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:39:32 am »

I have captured some screen shots of the various steps to setup Television for United States. My examples are for a single TV Tuner card using Over-the-Air (OTA) signal. It is similar for Cable Cards and multiple Tuner installations. I hope this will help some new Users with the setup.

Please feel free to add information/tips or make corrections if needed. These screen shots are from MC Version 23.0.80 (Nov 2017). If future MC versions change these screens, I'll update them here. If you find an error  let me know.

Install the Tuner Card and driver. You do not need to install any other software that may come with the TV Card (such as Hauppauge's WinTV). You should go to Windows Device Manager and see the TV Card is installed with no errors.

TV Tuner shown in Windows Device Manager

Note - under the "Setup" button, is the "Manage Devices" button. If you click this you will see the TV Tuners and Devices that JRiver recognizes are installed on your system. However the name shown in Windows Device Manager (top screen shot) is usually not the same name JRiver uses for the device.  In my case the TV Tuner card is a "KWorld" brand, model "UB445-U2" installed in my Dell laptop.

You should not have any reason to go this setting - for a normal TV Tuner install.

CountryBumkin

Re: USA TV Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:44:36 am »

Step 1: 

In JRiver Media Center "Standard View" there is a button for "Television" on the left side menu. If you don't see this button, go to Tools>Options>General>Features and make sure there is a check mark next to "TV", to enable the feature.

Click the "Television" button then at the bottom of Television window click the "TV Options" button. Then click
Setup"

Step 1 _Television Setup

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:47:08 am »

Step 2:

This "clean up" pop-up screen comes up next.

Step 2 - after clicking on Setup

You do not need to Clean Up or Clear anything here. If you are doing a re-install or something didn't go right, you can clear the existing settings here. Otherwise just click "Ok"

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:49:04 am »

Step 3:

Enter your Postal Code and choice the location where the TV recordings will be saved. JRvier will automatically selected the largest drive in your system. You can select any location/drive you want.

Step 3 - enter Zipcode and Recording folder

Decide which recording format to use (JTV or Native). More about those formats here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93920.0

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:51:28 am »

Step 4:

Select the type of Service. OTA (Over-the Air) shown below (Cable/Satellite at bottom of page).

Step 4 - type of TV service

Step 5:

For Antenna (OTA)
Step 5 - Select TV device to use for channel scanning
_______________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Step 5b: For Digital Cable or Satellite :

NOTE: Currently JRiver MC can not display cable programing that is encrypted as "Copy-Once". "Copy-Freely" is not a problem.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:03 am »

Step 6:

Select the method for loading the Electronic Program Guide (EPG). mc2xml is the newest method using mc2xml ver 1.4. Note that this version is only available in MC21 and higher versions (If you are using MC20 (which does not have the built-in mc2xml) you can download mc2xml from the developer at http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/, or use another third-party EPG source like "zap2xml" or EPGCollector to run as a "stand-alone" program where you would then use the XMLTV method to import the EPG data as a xmltv.xml file).

Step 6 - select TV guide source

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:57:04 am »

Step 7: Data Source.

There is nothing to setup on this page when using the built-in TV Guide source (mc2xml ver1.4). If you are re-doing a previous setup you should check the box to clear any previous mc2xml settings.

Step 7 - TV guide data

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:59:57 am »

Step 8: Summary page. Nothing to do here - just press "Scan" for channels button to continue setup.

Step 8 - scan for channels

Step 9:
Scan (in my example I am scanning OTA channels).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:04:34 am »

Step 10:

After Scan is complete, the "mc2xml" setup window will come up. Your Postal code and Country should already be populated in the setup (this information was added in Step 3).

Part A
Select "Microsoft" don't select "Microsoft Legacy".

Hit "Okay"

Step 11:
Part B: Now enter the "lineup selection". Click on the selection to highlight it, then hit "OK".

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:42:37 am »

Step 12:  
MC program will auto-match your Channels to the EPG guide data. You usually don't need to do anything here. However there may be some Channels that do not match up with EPG data. Usually because a Channel was found during the scan but no EPG data exists.

Lastly, you have an option to mark channels as Favorites and/or Hide channels.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:46:52 am »

To finish up - remember to set up the MC StartUp to run "Media Server" on startup. This will put a JRiver MC icon on your taskbar. If you don't have Media Server running (or Media Center) when a recording is due, it will not record.

END OF SETUP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional or Alternative settings below:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 11:50:21 am »

Hurray!  Thanks!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »

HOW and WHY to use a third-party EPG data source.

After you have the TV service setup and running using the built-in "mc2xml (ver 1.4)" EPG source, you may find that the Electronic Program Guide data does not provide the best data available (data quality varies by country/location).

In this case, it may be desirable to use a third-party EPG souce such as Zap2xml http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/  
or XMLTVDB https://code.google.com/p/xmltvdb/downloads/detail?name=XMLTVDB%20v1.0.1.zip

Zap2xml is a stand-alone program that produces an outputs the file "xmltv.xml"
and XMLTVDB is a program that takes an existing "xmltv.xml" file and enhances it by adding additional data (when there is additional data) such as the Season Number and Episode Number then returns a new file named "xmltv.enhanced.xml".

To use these, you would choose XMLTV for the EPG data source in Step 6 instead of mc2xml.

Then you tell MC21 where to find the "xmltv" file:

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »

I find the easiest way to use a third-party EPG data source is to create a new folder, such as "Zap2xml", "XMLTVDB", or "mc2xml" where it is easy to get to - such as in the root directory of C: drive. But it can be almost anywhere you want (but don't put this in the Program Files folder or elsewhere where Windows won't let you write to it).

Then download the third party program to that new folder and use Windows task Scheduler to run it every day.

To run Zap2xml follow steps below:  Also see screen shot here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100319.msg712839#msg712839

1) Create folder (i.e. C:\Zap2xml) and download the Zap2xml program to it.
2) You have to go to Zap2it webpage http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCUserAccountLoad.do?aid=tvschedule and setup a free account. When you register for the account you will provide an e-mail address and password. When you Register you tell the program what location you are in, and what kind of EPG data you use (i.e. OTA-Broadcast, cable, etc.).
3) Then in the MC setup, type this into the "Run this Executable" (in box "#1" in screenshot above): "{path to program}Zap2xml"
4) In the box below, "Pass these command arguments to the executable", enter the "-u {your e-mail}" and "-p {your password}", and any other parameters you want (i.e. the "-D" "-r5" "-s1").
5) The program will output the file "xmltv.xml" to the directory where you installed Zap2xml.
6) You then tell MC21 or MC20 use this "xmltv.xml" file created by the Zap2xml program when it loads its EPG data (in box #2 from screenshot above).

Note: The Zap2xml data is about the same as mc2xml data that is built-into MC21. So why use it? One, if your not using MC21 (your still on MC20) this is a good option to get EPG data, and two, if you add the optional "-D" switch, the program will then get/add Season Number and Episode Number to the EPG data (which then provides more detail than the built-in mc2xml in MC21 provides).

Note that the -D option adds Season and Episode Numbers to the EPG data, according to Zap2xml when you add the "-D" option the program uses "1 extra http request per program!" which puts additional loading on the data source.

Tip from Roderick:
You should use the -e commands, "-e = encode entities (html special characters like accents)" so that characters are displayed correctly.
You could use the -D command, "-D = include extra program details (S##E##) = 1 extra http request per program!", but I have found recently found that zap2it doesn't have Season and Episode numbers for all programs, so that may be of less use than I originally thought. If you do use it, and you get the time out message mentioned above, you could use the -r command, "-r <# of connection retries before failure> (default = 3, max 20)" to increase the number of retries. But that loads the server a lot more, and if it is busy and not responding, then it probably won't respond better if you retry more often. But, the command is there to try.
If you do use the -r command, you may want to also add the -S command, "-S <#seconds> sleep between requests to prevent flooding of server", so that the server gets a little break from your downloads to catch up and serve other users. That may considerably slow your EPG data collection though. If you use it, try no more than 2 seconds of sleep. In fact I would start at 0.1 seconds if zap2xml will take fractions, and see how long the collection took before increasing it.

So the basic command line looks like this "zap2xml -u youremail@email.com -p password -D -e -r 5 -s 1" (where -r is for 5 retries and -S is for 1 second of sleep)___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To run "XMLTVDB":

I find this data to be very good, but the setup is a little more difficult.

First you need a xmltv.xml file for the program to utilize. So you will need to run the stand-alone program "mc2xml" or "zap2xml" program first. Note that the mc2xml we are talking about here is not the same "built-in" program MC21 uses. MC21 uses ver 1.4 and deletes the xmltv.xml file in the process (unfortunately, so it's not available to us).

Since we need the "xmltv.xml" file we will download and run the "stand-alone" mc2xml version 1.5

1) Create a folder where the mc2xml (ver 1.5) program will reside. I use "C:\mc2xml". The output file will be in this folder too.

2)Then download the mc2xml.exe file from http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/

3) When you run the program the first time it will ask for your Zip Code and Lineup (just like shown in Step 10 and 11 above). Then it will create a file called mc2xml.dat to save this info.

3) It is easier to run this from inside the JRiver program (see the screen shot in the post above this one). This creates the "xmltv.xml" file in the folder (C:\mc2xml).

Now the program instructions for setting up XMLTVDB.

5) Create another folder for this program. It can be a subfolder to mc2xml (such as C:\mc2xml\XMLTVDB).

6) Install the program to the folder. The XMLTVDB program comes as a "zip" file, so you will need to extract it to the folder you just created.

7) Now you need to edit the "XMLTVDB.properties file.

The location where the "xmltv.xml" file from above is stored needs to be identified (in this example it's at C:\mc2xml). And the location of where the new output file (xmltv.enhanced.xml) is to go needs to be identified.

Note that the entire file is not shown - as only the lines at the top need to be modified. Save the changes as "UTF-8" ecoding and ".txt" file type.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 01:49:26 pm »

XMLTVDB setup continued...

The XMLTVDB program requires that Java Version 7 or higher is installed on your computer to work. If you have this installed it would be located at C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.80.0_60\bin\java.exe (I have java version 8.60).  Or "Program Files (x86)" if you have a 64 bit operating system.

In Windows Task Scheduler you need to point to the location of Java, and to the location of the XMLTVDB files (specifically the xmltvdb.jar file).
It would look like this:

END

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:58:52 pm »

HOW to change your EPG data source after TV Services are setup

If you want to switch to another EPG data source after the MC Television service is setup, you can do this by going to
"Television>TV Options>Load Program Guide".

In this example, I have already setup MC to use the built-in "MC2XML" data source. Now I want to add Zap2xml as a method.

When you click the "Add" button, this screen comes up:

Finally, after entering the location of your new EPG data file, this screen (back to Step 1) comes back up. Now you have the new data source listed. Check the box next to the one you want to use:

To complete the process, the "matching Channels to EPG data" screen will come up (where MC (or you) will "Auto Match" the channels to the EPG data) as shown in Step 12 above.

rec head

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 06:28:17 pm »

Thanks. You deserve a raise!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:31 pm »

Good write-up. Well done. Your edits have improved it as well.

You might shame me into doing the same for Australia . . . but I'm pretty shameless.  :D

PS: My only other feedback is that in post 14, where you show the path to XMLTVDB in the Task Scheduler, the full path isn't displayed because the Details column isn't wide enough. It would probably be good if people could see the full path. Minor detail though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 12:28:31 pm »

TV Options >Manage Devices

When would you need to use this setting..................[ text to be inserted ]

Mostly, you would use this to enable or disable a tuner, or to switch a tuner to a different type.  For ATSC users, your device may also be capable of QAM.  In such case, you may decide to switch the tuner from ATSC to QAM or vice versa.  Similarly, DVB users may need to switch between DVB-T and DVB-C if the hardware supports it.

There are situations in which you may want to simply disable a device.  For example, I recently found out that my AverMedia PCIe device did not work any more.  Any time I tried to tune to an ATSC channel with it, it just did not get any signal.  So I just used this interface to disable this device.  MC will not attempt to use it after doing so.

If your tuner is a DVB tuner, an additional item shows up on the window - "The tuner is capable of tuning to DVB-T2 (or DVB-S2, or DVB-C2)".  You should check or uncheck this checkbox depending on your tuner's capability.  If you are not sure, it is a good idea to assume it is capable and check the checkbox.  If you later find out that it gives you problems, you can come back to uncheck it.

Since this thread is about USA TV Setup, you can ignore the bits about DVB tuners.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 11:36:25 am »

"Check the box for a more accurate scan" is shown in the post above which is http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100319.msg695286#msg695286

This should be moved to the previous dialog, perhaps right next to the "Scan" button, because otherwise the user has to quickly check it before the scan gets started.

Thanks!

inputusernamehere

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 05:02:13 pm »

Dear MC Community,

Quick question re: TV setup.  Since my C:Drive (where MC resides) is a SSD, I don't want to record live TV (or any TV) to the C: because doing so will burn through it's wright cycles in a hurry.  So I bought a (external) HDD for this purpose.  The problem is: I cannot find a way to "point" MC to record TV onto this drive.  Will someone kindly tell me how I can change the drive to which MC writes TV shows?  THANKS!

Also, since the TV kickstarter failed to fund, what (if any) are the plans to get access to all the encrypted cable content through CableCARD?  I have a Windows 10 machine, so WMC is a non-starter for me but, currently, I am paying for a bunch of TV channels I can't even watch... which is a bummer.  (I actually got WMC installed on my machine, but it wouldn't load any of the channel data or find the tuners, so it was as good as worthless.)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »

inputusernamehere

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »

Thank you kind sir.

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 01:19:42 am »

When MCE switched guide data to Rovi a few months back, I started to explore other options.  When Microsoft announced they were no longer going to support MCE, I downloaded JMC and Media portal to try out.  I am beginning to think that I am not smart enough to do it, though.  I have been able to get both programs to display TV from my ancient HD Homerun, but I have been flummoxed with Guide Data.  I would like to use Zap2it.  (I used them with my original Access DTV card in 2001).  I followed all the instructions up to Reply #13, item 3, then got lost.  I downloaded the "Windows Downloads,  zap2xml-install.exe" file from the website Zap2xml, had it extract into the newly created "Zap2xml" folder on C drive, and, when I click it to make it execute, it just has a small black Command line screen show up for a bit, then it disappears.  I have no idea what or where items 3 and 4 in Reply #13 are or how to input my email address and password.

I did get the Rovi data (which I am not enamored with) to show up in the guide, but I can only get one list style to populate.  When I try to toggle to any other style (to get more than four lines of data) I get a lot of little purple movie projectors that I assume are simply placeholders for what should be there but isn't. 

Thank you for creating this topic and helping us newbies out,
Steve

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 05:15:52 am »

I would like to use Zap2it.  (I used them with my original Access DTV card in 2001).  I followed all the instructions up to Reply #13, item 3, then got lost.  I downloaded the "Windows Downloads,  zap2xml-install.exe" file from the website Zap2xml, had it extract into the newly created "Zap2xml" folder on C drive, and, when I click it to make it execute, it just has a small black Command line screen show up for a bit, then it disappears.  I have no idea what or where items 3 and 4 in Reply #13 are or how to input my email address and password.

In the MC setup, when you get to step 2 and select use XMLTV method to load EPG data, you then get the window that says "Run this Executable". Enter "Zap2xml in that box and -u {your e-mail} -p {your password}" in the box below. The e-mail and password is the one you used when you registered at Zap2it.com. There are other operators you can add after your e-mail and password if desired (such as -D, -e, -r5, -s1 as mentioned)
Then in the window that says "Load XMLTV results from this file" you put in the path to the zap2xml folder (where the "xmltv.xml" file is created).

I modified the instructions in "Reply 13" (now steps 1-6) some to make it more clear. Thanks for reporting this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 06:03:40 am »

You might have to open a command window first.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:08 am »

Thanks for bringing that up.
When you enter the "{path}\Zap2xml.exe" in the "Run this Executable" box, that will open a Command Window automatically. But you need to enter the operators (the "-u -p etc.) in the box below for "Pass these command line arguments to the executable".

Like this:

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 11:26:45 pm »

Thank you, that made it much more clear.  following your instructions, I was able to get it to work, sort of.

I was able to load the data for all the channels that I had put into zap2it many years ago, but I now have a lot of sub channels that did not exist then.  I redid my channel lineup at the zap2it site and reran the "load program guide" only  to find that the sub channels were still missing.  After the download a "loading guide data" window shows up that has a list of all the channels.  The sub channels that are not showing up have the message (click here to configure) after them.  "Clicking here" brings up a dialog box that does not have an appropriate entry to select, and there is no way to type in the name that is on zap2it's guide.  How does one get the proper identifier?

This whole exercise may not be worth the bother, however.  The reason for wanting zap2it's data is that it has one to four star ratings for old movies.  It is not totally accurate, but we do not go far wrong by only recording three and four star movies.  These stars used to be included in Windows media Center's guide data until they switched to Rovi.  Zap2it has these stars on their website but they do not appear to follow the data to the EPG in MC.  Is there a modifier that could be added to "run executables" that could perhaps include ratings?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Steve

CountryBumkin

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 07:42:57 am »

Steve, if I am correctly following you, there is not much you can do.
For example when I made this guide there were some new Channels (10-1, 10-4, 29-4) that my TV Tuner was receiving but for which there was no EPG data (from any sources). (See the screenshot in "Step 12"  a couple of pages above). However after a few weeks this EPG data was added. In my case the channels were "new" so it took some time for the EPG data providers to catch up and add these channels.

Zap2it is a separate program from JRiver so if the Zap2it data does not contain all the EPG data for the channels you receive, the only fix is to contact Zap2it and let them know their guide data is missing channels. Maybe they will add the missing channel programming data.

When the MC setup scans for channels it lists everything your Tuner is receiving. Then you "try to match the Channels with EPG data. You pick the source of the EPG data. If the EPG data source (i.e. Zap2it, mc2xml, PercData, etc.) does not have information/data for some of your Channels it will show the "message Click here to Configure" in the Guide, but if there is no EPG data available it can't do anything.

You can try an different EPG data source. The "built-in" MC2XML program uses Microsoft Rovi for its EPG data, it's generally pretty good data. There is also a choice to use "Broadcast EPG data", this is the data that comes over-the-air with the station (assuming you are using OTA, so every channel would have something shown). But the OTA data is not considered as good as the other sources.

You just need to try a couple of different EPG sources until you find the one that is best for you.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:56 pm »

Perc Data has been a very usable EPG data source for me. It's $30 per year (not so bad) but you can try it free for a week. Support is built right into JRiver so it is very straightforward to set up.

Len_Lekx

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 09:31:30 am »

Silly question...

Are you going to update this for MC24, if there are any differences?

Also - I notice that every screenshot from your third post onward are missing.  Any chance of fixing that...?   ;)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:57 pm »

Since you are shaming me into it - I will fix this old setup thread.  ;D

I had all the pictures stored on Photobucket, but as you probably know, they blocked those pictures from loading unless Users switched to a paid service with them. So I packed up and left Photobucket.

I'll go back through the setup and take new screen shots. MC24 has a few new features but the basic setup is the same.

Len_Lekx

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 01:40:55 pm »

Thanks.   ;D

One of the things I'm finding confusing is the inability to load EPG data for capture-only devices.  Does that mean I can't set up a Program Guide if I connect my cable STB to my Hauppauge Colossus card?  It seems to me that this would make external loading of an EPG even more necessary.  (Or am I reading the Wiki wrong...?   :-[ )

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:23 pm »

One of the things I'm finding confusing is the inability to load EPG data for capture-only devices.

"Capture-only" profiles are used for capturing from an arbitrary video source, not from a TV service.  Therefore it is designed not to use any EPG.

Does that mean I can't set up a Program Guide if I connect my cable STB to my Hauppauge Colossus card?  It seems to me that this would make external loading of an EPG even more necessary.  (Or am I reading the Wiki wrong...?   :-[ )

Just set up an STB (Set-top box) profile.  STB is under service type "Digital cable or satellite".

If you did not read this TV Setup wiki article,  you should.  I think you did, but just missed the part where it says:

"Digital cable or satellite
This includes a number of different types of services - Clear QAM, CableCARD, DVB-C, DVB-S, or Set-top box."

Len_Lekx

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »

Yeah - I read the Wiki wrong...   :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up