INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: "Copy Files..." overwrites destination file if not unique  (Read 1990 times)

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
Bug: "Copy Files..." overwrites destination file if not unique
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:58:54 pm »

When using F6 "Rename, Move & Copy Files..." and choosing "Copy", if the destination field name is not unique I get no notification pre or post copy.  The destination file is silently overwritten.  I can't think of a situation where this would ever be expected or desired.  99% of the time it would mean the user made a mistake in their directory or filename templates.

Can some notification please be added? 

(Interestingly, in the same scenario, Move DOES succeed by appending (1), (2), ... etc at the end of the file.)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug: "Copy Files..." overwrites destination file if not unique
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:20:37 am »

I was SURE you were wrong.  But I just tested this and confirmed it.

It's pretty easy to write rules for your file and directory names that makes them unique, so you can avoid this.  But you're right.  Copy will overwrite any non-unique names.  I just coped an album to a new directory and used "1" as the file name.  It only produced one file in the new location, with "1" as the name.

Brian.

jimwc

• Recent member
Re: Bug: "Copy Files..." overwrites destination file if not unique
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »

I cannot reproduce the case of "Rename, Move & Copy Files..." overwriting destination files when the source and destination match.  If I use this tool to copy an album from my laptop to my NAS (where the album already exists on the NAS), nothing happens.  I don't hear the drives spin up, and the modification dates on the NAS files remain unchanged.  It appears that (in my case) "Rename, Move & Copy Files..." silently exits when the source and destination filenames are the same, and does not overwrite any files in the destination directory. I would prefer some sort of notification instead of the silent exit so that I know I asked for MC to do something inappropriate, but nothing is unexpectedly overwritten for me.

I just repeated this test copying files from one location on the local drive to another local location, and I'm certain nothing is being overwritten.

What I DO observe is that as soon as the Copy tool encounters a singe file where the source and destination match, it stops instead of merely skipping over the offending files.  For example, if I copy an album to a new location, delete the first and last track then copy the album again, the first track reappears, but not the last track.  This leads to annoying behavior if you're not sure which files at the destination are duplicates (i.e. my NAS seems to have 10 fewer music files than my laptop...I wonder which 10 of my 10,000 files I missed?).  When using "Rename, Move & Copy Files..." to Copy, I would like MC to skip a file if source and destination match, but keep running through the full list of requested files to see if indeed there are any other source that still need to be copied from the full initial set.

OSX 10.9.5, MC 21.0.8
Pages: [1]   Go Up