INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gapless play (and other) problems  (Read 5915 times)

mb01

• Recent member
gapless play (and other) problems
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:58:57 pm »

Hi ! gapless play apparently doesn't work for me. I actually never noticed it up to now, as the error is not noticeable for most songs. However, for Damien Rice's "the blower's daughter" (CD "o"), the last second of the song is not played (actually the last word "new" is missing). Depending on the gap Setting, the pause starts one second before the end and the next song is starting after that. If I look on the timer, the new song already starts at the last second (the one which is not played). Apparently this also happens for other songs, but is normally not noticeable as there is normally no content in the song. 
System is MacMini, OSX 10.10.5, JMC 20.0.126.

Second Point: If I want to shut down the computer, JMC is closed together with all other windows, but a pop-up is opened saying JMC is stopping the shutdown. Can this be avoided ? Would make shutdown via keyboard easier (I normally do not use a screen and therefore don't see the message, hence the computer may not shut down) ...

Third Point: Once JMC is closed, I can not start it again. Really strange...

Thanks for comments/help !

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: gapless play (and other) problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »

Go to:

Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change

Check that you have "use gapless for sequential album tracks" checked.  Look at the setting for "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)".  If it's checked, that's probably your problem.  Uncheck it.

Third Point: Once JMC is closed, I can not start it again. Really strange...

I don't understand what you're trying to describe here.

Brian.

mb01

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 05:52:50 am »

Thanks Brian !

Check that you have "use gapless for sequential album tracks" checked.  Look at the setting for "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)".  If it's checked, that's probably your problem.  Uncheck it.
same behaviour for "gapless for sequential". "do not play silence" is unchecked. Does not change anything.
Probably I was not precise enough. The problem is not really gapless-related. I just discovered it by listening to this particular song and tried via the gapless option to make it play as it should. However, the problem is present at any song ! JMC does not play until the end of the song, but skips the last second or so.
By the way, all CDs are in flac, transferred using DBpoweramp CD ripper.

I don't understand what you're trying to describe here.
When I close JMC manually, I can not start it again. Neither by clicking on the symbol in the launchpad, nor from finder/programs. There are no options set under "info"... JMC is the only program I have showing this behaviour. This is also the case for the second problem I mentioned, i.e. that apparently JMC does not want to be closed by general shutdown. Btw, there is no "dont want to close" message if I leave JMC manually.

Thanks for the help ! 

mb01

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:06:35 am »

.. just one additional note. It appears that the "not playing the end" problem is a general JMC 20 problem. I just tried on my PC-version. Same behaviour as on mac. Tested with the same songs a several others.
With respect to the "shutdown" problem, JMC 20 on PC however has no problem to start again after quiting the program. PC version is JMC 20.0.131. On mac, I can only restart JMC if I restart the computer.
I remember that the "shutdown" problem was already present in JMC 19 on mac...
Cheers, Michael

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:42:51 am »

When I close JMC manually, I can not start it again. Neither by clicking on the symbol in the launchpad, nor from finder/programs. There are no options set under "info"... JMC is the only program I have showing this behaviour.

That's definitely unusual.  Did you install MC21 by dragging it to the Applications folder?   Are you trying to launch it from Applications?  If you haven't done that (installed it by dragging to Applications) please do so.

If you have done that, I suggest you delete it from Applications, download the latest build, and install it again.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 09:45:08 am »

.. just one additional note. It appears that the "not playing the end" problem is a general JMC 20 problem. I just tried on my PC-version. Same behaviour as on mac. Tested with the same songs a several others.

That's also unusual.  :)  I've been using MC20 and 21 on Mac for quite a while now.  I am absolutely certain that it plays to the end of every song I have tested it with.  It would be VERY obvious to me on certain songs that are continuous from track to track... there would be a gap if it didn't play to the end. 

If MC on PC does the same thing with the same files, I have to wonder about either:

1.  A setting that's the same on both that we are missing.
2.  The files themselves.  Have you tried these files on another player like VLC?

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 02:04:45 pm »

Just a note that not playing to the very end of a track in certain cases is a known bug in MC 20 and it's been fixed in MC 21.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mb01

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »

Thanks for the info with respect to the bug-fix in MC21.
Any idea with respect to the other problems ?
I think I found a possible reason: If I quit MC, apparently not all processes are correctly closed. If I try to delete MC after quiting the program, I get an error that the program would still be running (although the main window is closed). That would be the explanation why OSX does not want to start it again.

Michael

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:44:57 am »

Just a thought: maybe MC server is still running, when you quit the main application. Do you see a small MC icon in the lower right corner?
Pages: [1]   Go Up