INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying non-anamorphic 16x9 video full screen with MC21  (Read 5272 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Displaying non-anamorphic 16x9 video full screen with MC21
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:34:59 pm »

I've just ripped a non-anamorphic DVD and tried playing it back with MC21.  I end up with a black box all the way around the movie, so the movie is displayed as a frame inside the screen.

I guess this is expected, since what this video is, is a 16x9 frame, fit into a 4x3 container with black bars top and bottom.  Then I play back this 4x3 container on a screen that's (roughly) 16x9, and the player pillar boxes this 4x3 container into a 16x9 container.  So effectively I've got a letterbox inside a pillar box, which gives me a small display area in the middle.  Whew.

In VLC, I can set an option to crop and I end up with a proper presentation with the sides of the video touching the sides of my screen.  What am I missing in MC21 to make something similar happen?

Thanks,

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Displaying non-anamorphic 16x9 video full screen with MC21
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »

What am I missing in MC21 to make something similar happen?

Windows is what you are missing, there is cropping control there. ;)
Cropping and zooming hasn't been implemented on Mac yet. But its probably not too hard to do, I'll put it on my list.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Windows is what you are missing, there is cropping control there. ;)
Cropping and zooming hasn't been implemented on Mac yet. But its probably not too hard to do, I'll put it on my list.

Ha!  :)  I was considering post processing it to crop it, but it looks, even for a crop, I have to re-encode the video, which makes it a large-ish time investment and then I need to figure out the best video format, settings, etc.  If zooming is easy to do, I would be thankful for it, for the very few titles I have that are non-anamorphic.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »

Though honestly I have to say two other things are higher on the list for *me* personally.  I'm not sure how these rate for other users but...

1.  Good deinterlacing.  It's very hard to watch TV shows (sourced from DVD) on MC21 right now because the interlacing artifacts are pretty ugly.  Not your fault that interlacing SUCKS.  It would just be really nice to be able to work around it.
2.  MC sub-processes crashes when building thumbnails.  When importing large numbers of videos the "MC21 has crashed" dialog comes up quite a few times.

Thanks for the all the work you've done on video for MC21.  It's honestly changed the way I use my digital video collection for the better.  If you've read my thread about it, you know I'm a big fan.  :)

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:48 am »

Can you produce one of those Mac crash reports for (2)?
Deinterlacing is coming sooner or later, its currently blocked on some other developments.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:15 pm »

Can you produce one of those Mac crash reports for (2)?

It seems to occur when trying to make thumbnails on some video files, but not on others.  As a test I created a new library, copied some video files to a temporary folder, and imported those files.  The name of the Library is "Video Crash' (to make it easy for me to identify it).  I hope that doesn't cause any issues reading the log.

After importing the files, I got two or three crashes.  I *think* those are recorded in the JRiver log, which I'm attaching here.

Deinterlacing is coming sooner or later, its currently blocked on some other developments.

Awww... 

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:51:43 am »

I need the crash reports that the Mac itself creates. Don't ask me where to find them or how to get the Mac to create them, I'm not a Mac user. :)
Unfortunately our own Log doesn't contain crash traces.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 07:51:25 am »

I need the crash reports that the Mac itself creates. Don't ask me where to find them or how to get the Mac to create them, I'm not a Mac user. :)

How can one develop applications for the Mac and not know how to operate one?  No insult intended.  I'm just totally confused.

Crash log attached.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 07:54:42 am »

How can one develop applications for the Mac and not know how to operate one?

I don't, I develop applications for Windows and Linux that happen to work on the Mac.  :P
John is the real Mac expert, he gets to do all the extra Mac specific things.

Thanks for the log. The crash looks slightly odd though, but it gives me something to start on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:46:39 am »

there is something very beautiful about ansi c  ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:45 am »

The new Video Engine is proper cross-platform, I did most of the work on Windows, even if it doesn't get used there by default for most tasks, since DirectShow is still far superior. Much easier for me than to have to suffer through XCode on a Mac. ;)
Of course some areas needed Mac-specific tuning, but most doesn't. Most of MC works like that, lets every developer work on their favorite Platform. :)

Anyway, I think i found the reason for the crash. Surprising it didn't happen sooner, tbh.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 09:49:23 am »

Anyway, I think i found the reason for the crash. Surprising it didn't happen sooner, tbh.

This has been happening since I first imported videos into my MC library, when I first got MC21.  It's not a really big deal, so I didn't push the issue.  But I did report it earlier.  I'm glad you're seeing it now.   :)

Some thumbnails fail to build at all.  I'm not sure why, but some will crash and then build correctly.  Others just crash and don't ever build, even if you manually use Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail several times.

Thanks,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up