INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback file location problem  (Read 4716 times)

st1

• Recent member
playback file location problem
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:17:17 am »

this might be a bug or bad usage / wrong parameters , but here how it happens and bug repeats after fix in every new boot.

ver:  MC Linux v21 latest installation (from yesterday), Ubuntu 15.04 64 bit in NUC i7

fresh installation and nothing else installed
NUC has 1st internal SSD 256  and  2nd  internal media storage  SSD 1TB  (ext4)

how error comes:
start nuc
start MC
play

-> playback problem
"something went wrong with playback"

- the file could not be located .....

Then I go to tools options "file location". Visually the audio path location seems to be ok, but when I open it to re-check it, it shows the  
external HD (my usb backup storage) from which I imported the media content to internal SSD 1TB.

I reassign the path correctly to the 1TB SSD instead of the non existent bckup hd and  save settings OK.

Then starting  with play audio  works OK.

BUT when I close MC,  make a restart the NUC and try again MC and play audio the same error happens again
 and can be again fixed same way like above.

Any idea what should be fixed that the error does not repeat time after time.

proposal2:
It would be nice that multiple  file folder  locations would be allowed in the audio location options settings,
that I could use the  1st SSD also  for  audio content when 2nd ssd get fully used for audio files....
In the Import function this is already done with multiple  selectable import locations possible.

Great THANKS  for the team for a great Linux MC player  :-)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: playback file location problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:15 am »

Your description isn't totally clear to me.  I get that MC can't find the file on the first play.  I'm unclear how you're making it find the file.  Changing the location in Options > File Location should have NO EFFECT on files that are already imported into the library.

I'm assuming you are trying to play files that are already imported into MC.  Try this:

1.  Find a file you want to play in MC.  Add it to Playing Now and play it.  If it gives you an error then...
2.  Hover over the file until the tool tip box pops up to show you details.  Look for the file path specifically.  Does it show the correct file path?  Or is it pointing to your old backup drive?
3.  If it shows the backup drive as it's location then *that* is the problem.  MC imported those files from the backup drive and not from the internal drive.

If that's what's going on you'll need to change the database pointer for ALL of the files that have the wrong path.  Luckily MC has a tool specifically designed to do this:  Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

RM&C can do a lot of different things.  You would want to use it in UPDATE DATABASE mode.

If you need more help with this, ask and we'll try to get you there.

Good luck!

Brian.

st1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:27:24 pm »

Thanks for the library management hints.
I deleted the old library and re-imported everything and
checked thatthe path to file location source  parameter string is correct.

However the bug repeats like earlier.

Then i reinstalled 15.04 64 and  installed jriver to internal HD1
and imported  all "recordings"  from internal HD2,  All parameter values looked ok,

Then restarts for OS and JRiver  started and the old bug repeats with same message (picture below).
 (but the backup hd alternative   is not any more visible due to complete fresh installation).

But I found an interesting clumsy workaround  with which the error message does not come.

First the error comes and the I just start ubuntu "files manager"  
and click inside the file manager to second  hd2 and   click into some folders,  
So just clicking and browsing - no other actions.

Then I jump back to MC21 window and re-try  the play the recording  and it works and no error message.

any ideas what to check next  to get rid of the clumsy workaround ?

(here other topic about how to fix broken links
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50504.0     which did not help in my case)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:26 pm »

It sounds to me like you keep importing from the same external drive that you don't want to use.

I'd need you to cut and paste in some path names of files that do and don't play for me to really understand.  It's very difficult to figure out what you're saying without specific information.

Brian.

st1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:22:41 am »

It sounds to me like you keep importing from the same external drive that you don't want to use.

I'd need you to cut and paste in some path names of files that do and don't play for me to really understand.  It's very difficult to figure out what you're saying without specific information.

Brian.

My JRiver use case:
- Intel NUC  PC has HD1 and HD2 inside  the small box
- all music rips are in the (internal)  HD2 1TB
- Ubuntu is installed into (internal)  small HD1 as per default installation
- JRiver installs itself as per default
- when NUC boots both HD1 and HD2 should be in use

When JRiver and ubuntu OS are on smaller HD1,  "JRiver library" should use big HD2 as media content storage and jriver library should find and let play music from HD2.  Now library does not find HD2 and therefore the error info ?

I guess that this is HD2 mounting problem after ubuntu os start  ?

Note:
The music media content is already in HD2 before ubuntu and jriver installations.

st1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:04 am »

Problem solved and now HD2 mounting works and no playback problem.

My solution was to set  the hd2 mount point  (  /data)  In the beginning of ubuntu installation like shown in attached picture.

After Ubuntu and jriver installed, I just configured the jriver autoimport to HD2 folder and everything works as expected.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 09:24:27 am »

I was typing up something similar when you posted your success.  Good job!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up