INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files to a New Disc  (Read 5275 times)

Antoine.

• World Citizen
Moving Files to a New Disc
« on: October 10, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble collecting guidance as to how to proceed with moved files (in wiki or the forum, the information seems to be outdated).

So here is my situation: I'm running MC21 and just moved all my video folders (which were on three different discs with letters D, E and F) to a new disc (lettered D). The names of the folders in which these files were have not changed, but these folders have now been moved to a new disc.  They (the folders) all are located at the root of the new drive, as they previously were on their respective drives.

The files that used to be on the drive lettered D have been "found" by MC. This is not a surprise since neither the letter or the drive, nor the path in the drive changed. The others have not.

How am I to proceed to point MC to the correct new path (and keeping all the informations associated with the files)?

Sincerely,

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Files to a New Disc
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:56:08 pm »

there's a lot of info in the wiki

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_%26_Copy_Files

and this thread

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100424.0

you are looking to use the "update database to point to new location" tool along with find and replace to change the drive letters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:59:49 pm »

The topic on the wiki about "Moving Files" is accurate.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »

Thanks for your answer...

I don't seem to be able to use effectively the "Find & Replace" Tool as it will not change the letter of the drive (which is just what I need)... any clue?

For example, if I'm entering "F:\" in the Find What field and "D:\" in the Replace field, shouldn't I expect the letter of the drives in the path of the selected files to be changed from F to D? But it tells me that 0 files were changed.

I can use the F6 tool (update database to point...) but I will only work folder by folder, which is a pain (it implies doint it season by season and movies by movies as they are in their own folders)...

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »

Please read the wiki and experiment with a small number of files.  It's all there.

Try F: instead of F:\ .

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:27:01 pm »

Try F: instead of F:\ .
It did not change the outcome... (F: was replaced 0 Times with D:).

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »

are you:

selecting "update database to point to new location"
UNCHECKING "move all files" and "directories" and "filename"
CHECKING "find and replace"

and SELECTING ONLY those files which are still in the library as F:

it always works for me...never had an issue!

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »

are you:

selecting "update database to point to new location"
UNCHECKING "move all files" and "directories" and "filename"
CHECKING "find and replace"

and SELECTING ONLY those files which are still in the library as F:

it always works for me...never had an issue!
Thank you ! That did the trick!

The "standalone" version of the Find & Replace tool did not work for me, however... Maybe because it is only scanning the Files tags, not their location path.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:57:10 am »

The "standalone" version of the Find & Replace tool did not work for me, however... Maybe because it is only scanning the Files tags, not their location path.

Do you mean Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace ... ?  That tool is *definitely* only designed to work on the file tags.  Any time you want MC to do operations that refer to the Filename, you want to use the Rename ,Move, and Copy tool.  As you have now found.  :)

I'm glad your original problem is solved!

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:32:28 am »

Do you mean Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace ... ?  That tool is *definitely* only designed to work on the file tags.

The topic on the wiki about "Moving Files" is accurate.

Jim's Moving Files wiki article is actually inaccurate in this way, and should be fixed (perhaps I'll have time later).

In the distant past, before the Rename, Move, and Copy File tool had a Find & Replace template, you could use the regular Find & Replace tool to achieve the same effect.  When you used Find & Replace on the [Filename] tag, it behaved like RMCF does in Rename mode (and actually moved the files, if they existed on disk).  Around the time when the Find & Replace template was added to RMCF, the behavior of the regular Find & Replace tool was changed so that it always works in, essentially, Update database only mode.

Jim's article has not been updated to reflect this, and still advises these changes to be done the "old way". When I fixed RMCF article, I added the {{Outdated}} tag to his Moving Files article for this reason (and added a link to the RMCF article), but I didn't go through and fix his article.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »

Do you mean Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace ... ?  That tool is *definitely* only designed to work on the file tags.  
Indeed I meant this tool, as the wiki was confusing to me on this point.

Particularly this point:
Library Tools / Find and Replace
Find and Replace will let you change any part of any field. If you do this in "File Location", you can change "C:" to "D:" or "C:\Music" to "C:\Video". MC will move the files and update its library.

It somewhat implies that the "Find & Replace" tool this procedure is refering to is the one that is to be accessed by going to Tools > Library Tools > Find & Replace. While the proper one is there: Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files > Find & Replace.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »

Yep. That's the part that's wrong.

One upon a time it was right, but now you must use the RMCF Tool instead.  The RMCF article does fully address this use case though:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 07:33:53 am »

I added a note to the wiki on this page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files#Library_Tools_.2F_Find_and_Replace

To say that it's better to use the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool.

Does that take care of the issue, or is there more?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »

Well, it's not just "better", doing it via regular Find & Replace doesn't work at all.  It used to, but now regular F&R does Update Database Only, and doesn't move the files.

It's on my list to fix well later.

Pages: [1]   Go Up