INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom field not populating correctly  (Read 3680 times)

hugoread

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Custom field not populating correctly
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:01 pm »

Hi,

I've added a custom field I've called 'Band' in Media Jukebox that I populate quite a lot with various jazz bands for example (separate from the artist). I use MinimServer on my NAS to serve the music and I've noticed that only the FLAC files have actually populated the field BAND correctly in the file. The mp3s have instead populated a field called JR/BAND.

I've checked this with Mp3tag and indeed a field called JR/BAND is being populated, not BAND. This still shows as 'Band' in Media Jukebox, but other media servers don't see it, as the tag is named incorrectly.

It seems like a bug to me. Any fixes or workarounds for this?

Many thanks,
Hugo Read.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Custom field not populating correctly
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 06:19:42 am »

Hey Hugo

Frankly I'm not positive about this but I know that the ID3 container is more limited than VOrbis Comment which is what JRiver is using for flac files, then reconverted. I also don't use Media Jukebox, but doubt this has anything to do with it.

I checked and band is not a standard field so I don't know why its adding JR/ before that -- maybe its how the container works not sure. I've found that either it gets written or not at all ... strange.

What you could try is use another field like PERFORMER.  This is a standard field for Vorbis and should translate to the IDv2 tag of IPLS see this link http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping. Often non-standard tags can't be written to an mp3 container .. like the field Ensemble there is no equivalent.

If this works, you could always display "Band" if you don't like Performer to be visible, but its pretty much the same thing. There is also Orchestra too of course. If you have already tagged tons of files its pretty easy to automatically copy them over to a new tag field too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up