INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output volume really low with new DAC  (Read 2373 times)

bigbwb

• Junior Woodchuck
Output volume really low with new DAC
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

Hey folks,
Just installed a 2nd DAC for my multi channel material.  All is well except one thing, the output volume is really low compared to my other DAC (All else being the same).  I really have to crank up my preamps volume which is not right.  I tried using the JR built in audio calibration with my SPL meter etc but cannot get enough output into the DAC, any thoughts or suggestions??  Im likely doing something wrong:)

Thanks!
Brandon

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Output volume really low with new DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »

I read about something very similar recently and someone offered a solution.  I'm not sure how or why this option might get set if you didn't set it yourself, but it's very much worth checking.  Check to see what your Maximum Volume is set to.  If it's anything less than 100, then you won't be able to get full output from your DAC.

Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Maximum volume

...and of course the super obvious solution is to check your output volume slider in the upper left corner.  Make sure it's set fairly high.  100% is fine since you have a preamp.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Output volume really low with new DAC
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:23 pm »

Also, this may seem obvious but all DACs don't have equally "hot" output volumes.  Certain types of DACs have an output that's much, much louder (10 or even 20+dBU) than the standard 2VRms consumer line level that many common DACs put out.  So I'd confirm that your DACs are supposed to have the same output volume (in their respective manuals) before I went too far down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up