INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing library of movies on Synology  (Read 2717 times)

JJay

Managing library of movies on Synology
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:13:18 am »

Hi there!  :)

I have been using MC for several years now to manage my audio files localy. It's been a breeze so far.

Yesterday, after upgrading to v21, I decided to give it a try to manager my movies located on a Synology DS211j.

Nothing worked as planned. Actually, I spent 3 hours scanning and tagging 400 movies yesterday. And today, my MC movie library is empty! Movies are still here on the syno, but MC database seems to be empty. Here are some of the questions I am asking myself :

- how can I tel MC to use the login/password required to access the UNC (//Synology/etc..) where my movies are.
- what NFO format does MC support? I have 1000+ movies tagged with XBMC NFOs and MC does not recognize them at all.
- How can I force MC to use folder.jpeg as a default Image File for each movies? Each movie is in its own directory.
- How can I have MC display the movie list/database, even when the Synology is offline?
- "Update tags from Library" always gives an error, while files are unlocked and access rights properly configured; is this feature supported for movies?

I would gladly read any technical in-deep documentation about how MC handles videos/movies.

Searching the wiki yield a lot of outdated articles... Can anyone point me to usefull ressources/doc/tips about video and movies management?

Thanx and have fun tagging! ;D

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Managing library of movies on Synology
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:23:51 am »

MC will read .nfo if

They contain .xml style data
They have the same name as the file (movie name.nfo)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87442.msg598717#msg598717

That's about all I know about it, the few that I've dealt with have worked fine...

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »

And today, my MC movie library is empty! Movies are still here on the syno, but MC database seems to be empty.

- how can I tel MC to use the login/password required to access the UNC (//Synology/etc..) where my movies are.

I'm guessing these two are related.  MC probably can't "see" the files any more because something has changed with the way the files are accessed; like the password.  In my opinion, you'd be better off mapping a drive letter in Windows and then using that drive letter inside of MC to access the files.  That way the login is handled by windows and not by MC.

You probably have "fix broken links" set to protect files on missing drives.  I think that's the default.  Check it's setting in:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Tasks > Fix broken links

I would set this to "NO" for now.  Then go look at your library again.  You'll probably see all of your files are back, but with red minuses ( - ) next to them, indicating that MC can't find them.  If this is the case, I would recommend mapping the drive as a letter, and then fixing the paths to those drives using the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

Or you can try to get the UNC path working again, however you made that work originally.

Brian

- what NFO format does MC support? I have 1000+ movies tagged with XBMC NFOs and MC does not recognize them at all.
- How can I force MC to use folder.jpeg as a default Image File for each movies? Each movie is in its own directory.
- How can I have MC display the movie list/database, even when the Synology is offline?
- "Update tags from Library" always gives an error, while files are unlocked and access rights properly configured; is this feature supported for movies?

I would gladly read any technical in-deep documentation about how MC handles videos/movies.

Searching the wiki yield a lot of outdated articles... Can anyone point me to usefull ressources/doc/tips about video and movies management?

Thanx and have fun tagging! ;D
[/quote]

JJay

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:55:35 am »

@ferday

Thank you mate. My NFOs have been generated by Ember Media Manager, and bear the same file name as movies and are in xml starting with :

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<movie xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

May I ask you to post a sample of a NFO file that MC can actually read? Character encoding might also be the culprit here. My files are in UTF-8 encoded, but I have also accents (excuse my french  ;) ).

@Brian

Thank you for your help. I have tried your advice about Fix broken links without any success.

Actually I did use "import single folder" to grab my movies. Why? Because my auto-import is set to "update for external change" and that is what I want for all my local files.
But I don't want that for my offline files.

What happened to my database is like settings for auto-import have been used by MC to handle a manually imported folder. And so it wipped out database entries for movies as soon as they went offline. Is that even possible?

A mapped drive will still require a username/password, but I will give it a another try with mapped drives next week-end.  8)

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:42:51 pm »

What happened to my database is like settings for auto-import have been used by MC to handle a manually imported folder. And so it wipped out database entries for movies as soon as they went offline. Is that even possible?

You didn't say that all of your missing files were on a drive that's not connected!  That makes a lot of sense actually.

The "fix broken links" setting is global.  That setting is under "configure auto import", so you would think it only applies to auto import directories.  But it doesn't.  It applies to the whole library.  Set it to "yes (protect files on missing drives)" if you plan to have drives disconnected while MC is running.

[quote[A mapped drive will still require a username/password, but I will give it a another try with mapped drives next week-end.  8)[/quote]

I suggested mapping a drive so that WINDOWS can handle the username and password.  If you want NO PASSWORD, set up the share on your NAS to not use one.  Isn't it cleaner to have the OS handle it any way?

Brian.

[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up