INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theaterview Feature: Memory Shift and Zoom  (Read 2981 times)

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
Theaterview Feature: Memory Shift and Zoom
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:41:05 am »

Hello All,

To the point: I realize that JR has a shift feature in Theaterview that will reposition the image as well as a zoom feature, that enlarges or shrinks the image. However, is there a way to save this as a memory? I.e., Memory 1: Shift 10%, Zoom 75%; Memory 2: Shift 12%, Zoom 70%, etc. Right now, each time I watch a movie, I have to (because of my setup, see below) manually adjust the zoom and shift. Any way to make it a memory? Thanks in advance.

Further explanation: I really enjoy JRiver for my projector setup. I have a 21:9 screen and I use what's called a "zoom" feature, where my projector zooms out to spill the black bars from a movie over the edge of the screen, leaving just the 21:9. This eliminates the black bars but has several issues. The most obvious is that there is picture information spilling over the screen. To combat this, I send a 1920x816 signal from my PC so that Theaterview always shows the relevant data on the screen with nothing spilling over. When a 21:9 film is played, it is played within the 16:9 field. Therefore, I have to zoom in on the picture (around 120% or so) to make it fill the area of the screen fully. I have to do this every time. This is why I would like, at least, a way to either assign the zoom/shift feature to a memory OR another way to automate it. Thanks for the help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Theaterview Feature: Memory Shift and Zoom
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:19:07 am »

If you have a custom video resolution of 1920x810, then playback of a 21:9 movie will fill the screen without any need for zooming. A 16:9 movie will fill the height, but not the width.

Something you are doing is downsizing the movie first before resizing again. What GPU are you using?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:39:59 am »

I just did some testing and I was wrong about "without any need for zooming".

You have two options:
1.  In the Theater View OSD use the down arrow to get to Settings and then go to Aspect Ratio. Press Enter and then go to either Crop Black Bars 2.35 or Crop Black Bars 2.40. This will need to be done the first time you play a movie, but from then on the setting will be saved with the movie.

2. Have madVR automatically zoom to the correct size for all content
  • Get the latest madVR 0.89.12
  • Go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins and delete or rename the madVR folder (JRiver must be closed)
  • Extract the new madVR to the same location
  • Set JRiver to Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings > Video Mode to Red October HQ
  • Play a video and right click the screen and select DirectShow Filters > madVR to access madVR settings
  • Go to processing > zoom control and check
    -disable scaling if image size changes by only . . . 2 lines or less
    -automatically detect hard coded black bars
    -zoom small black bars away
    -crop black bars

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:54:41 am »

Thank you for your reply!

I do not have a powerful GPU at all. It is an Intel HD 3000 APU built into my CPU. Therefore, I do not think I can actually run Red October in HQ mode. I will fiddle around with the MadVR settings to see if I can get to work the way that I want. I may just have to relegate changing it each time for a movie. Of course, like you said, it will remember that setting when I watch it again. I just did not want to have to do this for my entire movie collection. Instead, I just wanted to be able to push a button that saves the "zoom" setting for my 21:9 movies and can be called upon when that movie comes up.

Thanks again for your help and let me know if you have any more thoughts.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:56:07 pm »

If you have a remote you can use the following commands for JRiver:
Aspect Ratio is 2:35 use MC21.exe /MCC 28022, 4
Aspect Ratio is 2:40 use MC21.exe /MCC 28022, 5

I would just use 2:40 so there is only one button to push.
See the Media Center Core Commands for more information.

I think you can use the HD3000 with madVR. Try these settings:

Processing
  • Artifact Removal: Off
  • Image Enhancements: Off

Scaling Algorithms
  • Chroma Upscaling: Catmull-Rom or Bicubic100 + Activate anti-ringing filter (AR)
  • Image Downscaling: Catmull-Rom + AR + Scale in Linear Light
  • Image Doubling: Off
  • Image Upscaling:  Catmull-Rom +AR
  • Upscaling Refinement: Off

Rendering
  • Smooth Motion:  Off (can try to enable, though)
  • Dithering: Ordered
Pages: [1]   Go Up