INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airplay with Mac and MC20  (Read 2013 times)

briangmaddern

Airplay with Mac and MC20
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:17:10 am »

I have installed MC20 and want to play FLAC files to a stereo via an Airplay music receiver. Airplay comes up as an Audio Device in Playback Options but when I try to play a file I get the following message ... Something went wrong with playback. Details: Playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format '48kHz 2ch'. This output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format. Also, make sure your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options.
I don't have any problem using Airplay with iTunes or Spotify.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Airplay with Mac and MC20
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:26 am »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong:  As I understand it, MC can't talk to AirPlay devices without third party software like AirFoil.  I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I don't think that AirPlay devices are accessible directly as Core Audio.  If they were then third party players that are not made by Apple partners could talk to them.  For example, if you could use VLC, or Vox, or another non-apple-partner software player to send to AirPlay devices, then MC would work too.  But I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you want more attention to this question, you might ask this same again in the Media Network forum:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=7.0

MC *can* talk to most DLNA devices; that support is built in.  The main "gotcha" with DLNA is audio sync.  If you want to play to several devices with the *same* audio at the same time, MC can't really guarantee they will stay in sync.  AirPlay, on the other hand, has sync built in to the protocol, so they always stay synced.  For some people, this is no big deal. For others, it is a must have feature.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up