INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom ID3 tags in MC21  (Read 2772 times)

Orac

• Recent member
Custom ID3 tags in MC21
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:47:05 am »

Hi All,

I've been using MC20/Windows 7 for some time now and I have a custom field in my ID tags called CATEGORY which I use to seperate out things like Vinyl rip, MP3, SACD etc. and it works fine. I then use this field to create custom views for each category.

I've upgraded to MC21/Windows 10 and added the custom field to the list, I can see it OK when I select 'Tag' but it is not being populated from the files, consequently I cannot create the same views I had in MC20.

Is this a known problem?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Custom ID3 tags in MC21
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 04:38:50 am »

did you use a backup from MC20 if not that may help
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:36 am »

did you use a backup from MC20 if not that may help

yes, this is what you should do. I'd remove the field and even the new views dependant on this "field" before doing so. Actually, probably be cleaner to remove version 21 and reinstall then restore the backup as Tao mentioned. You should not need to recreate views and custom fields -- the latter can cause some problems depending on file format, whether it was written to the file etc.

If unfortunately you nuked your backup, get back and we can look at options if you had set up the field to write tags to the file

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:32:38 am »

Thanks for the advice folks, but typically I had a brainwave 5 minutes after I'd posted the question !   ::)

The installation of MC21 was on a new PC running Windows 10 whereas MC20 was on a different PC running Windows 7.

I had added the custom field to the MC21 install AFTER I had configured the library so I decided to clean out the library and reconfigure it. After I'd done this, the custom field was populated correctly.

Cheers,
John

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

I had added the custom field to the MC21 install AFTER I had configured the library so I decided to clean out the library and reconfigure it. After I'd done this, the custom field was populated correctly.

For future reference:  If you add a custom field after you import media, you can still read the tags from that media into your new custom fields.  Highlight a file (or many files) and select Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) .  That will force a re-read of all tags in the file (or files) you have selected.

Brian.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:20:28 pm »

Thanks for the tip Brian, it would have saved a lot of time not having to reimport the whole library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up