INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library view "disk location" does not find any albums (using nfs): screenshots  (Read 5582 times)

tingtong5

• Recent member

Hi all,

I just started using jriver (linux version on debian 8) mediacenter (21.0.16).

My music files are on another linux machine and I use nfs mount to access them. This works fine when using the default views (artist, albums, etc..).

However, I would like to create custom library views based on disk location. For instance for jazz music. My nfs mount is /music and my jazz albums are in /music/jazz/
So I created a library view by disk location. It does show the artist and albums but when selecting an artist icon, the albums are not found (same albums ARE found in the default views!).

For instance when selecting the artist "Diana Krall" in my custom view (located in /music/jazz/Diana Krall/) and double clicking, it says there are no search results. I noticed that in the top of the windows it says:
Locations (/music/jazz/) > /music/jazz/Diana Krall\

It ends with a backslash instead of a slash!! I suppose this is the cause of the issue.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,

Ronald Verlaan

tingtong5

• Recent member
Re: library view "disk location" does not find any albums (using nfs)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:32:56 am »

Am I the only one having this issue??

Or maybe my explanation of the issue is not clear. I will soon make some screenshots to give a better understanding of the issue.

tingtong5

• Recent member
Re: library view "disk location" does not find any albums (using nfs)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:25:04 am »

Here are the screenshots. In the first one I am using my custom view named "Jazz" based on disk location. I selected "Diana Krall" artist in upper half off the screen. In lower half of the screen albums and files are shown, so far so good.

However when double clicking the "Diana Krall" icon in the upper half of the screen this happens: see second screenshot.

Any ideas on why this is happening and why the underlying albums are not shown?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Why are you trying to browse based on disk location?  Don't your files have metadata?  You don't need a folder named "Diana Krall" to find all of her albums, as long as all of the albums have Diana Krall as the artist.

I see your screen shots, but I can't figure out what you are doing.  You say:

I selected "Diana Krall" artist in upper half off the screen. In lower half of the screen albums and files are shown, so far so good.

However when double clicking the "Diana Krall" icon in the upper half of the screen this happens: see second screenshot.

Are you describing the difference between a single click and a double click?

Here's my guess:

You have major Genres like Classical, Jazz, and Popular laid out on disk in top level folders.  You want to have views which show the contents of these folders so you can mimic the way you've got things laid out in these larger groups for browsing.  Now, you want to have a categories view built for each of these top level folders.

All you have to do is build a view that includes just that folder (Jazz for example) and then lay out your categories as [Artist] ,then [Album].  No need to involve folders AT ALL after you've limited the view to just that folder.

If that's anywhere near correct, we can help you lay out views that will do what you want, and hopefully avoid this unusual folder bug you are describing.

Brian.

tingtong5

• Recent member

What you describe is indeed exactly what I am trying to accomplish! :-)

Still don't get what I am doing wrong then? I created the jazz view and limited it to /music/jazz/  , but apparently I do not understand.

So I deleted my custom view and made a new one based on Artist & Albums. How do I limit it to my topfolder /music/jazz?

Thanks for helping :-)

blgentry

So I deleted my custom view and made a new one based on Artist & Albums. How do I limit it to my topfolder /music/jazz?

Right click on your view > Customize View > Settings > Included files > Set rules for file display

Rules:

Filename (path) -- contains -- (type the file path to your top level folder like Jazz)

That will limit the view to just that file path.  :)  Now your categories view should just work as you expect it to. 

Note:  You might want to change Artist to [Album Artist (auto)].  That will work better for multi-artist albums, or compilations.  Otherwise, you're probably going to see entries for each individual artist on each individual compilation album.  But get it working doing the basics first.  Then modify it if necessary.

Good luck.

Brian.

tingtong5

• Recent member

YESSSSS, this is wat I was looking for :-) Thanks a lot, I'll buy you a beer ;-)

tingtong5

• Recent member

Only remaining question I have is: how to get these extra views in jremote as well?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Tools-->Options --> Media Network -->Advanced-->Customize Views for JRemote, Gizmo, and WebGizmo

tingtong5

• Recent member

Thanks a lot  :D ;D 8)

blgentry

Happy to hear that our advice helped you.  I'll have a beer in a few minutes and think of your success!  Mwilliems, I think you should too.  It's the only right thing to do.  :) :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up