INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Route external h/w source to audio interface to JRiver for audio processing?  (Read 23146 times)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

I’ve got a stereo set-up that comprises two-way, active, speakers and a swarm of (4) subs that are used to deal with room modes. The heart of the set-up is JRiver and RME Fireface UFX audio interface that combine to deliver the 2-way x/o for the stereo speakers, low pass for the various subwoofers and overall room EQ. All of the DSP is done via parametric EQ (although an earlier version used the native convolution functions.) The set-up works well for native playback from JRiver and I’m now keen to find out if I can playback external sources; e.g., games console etc. My thinking is to take optical out from a source (e.g., games console) into the UFX optical in and then route this to JRiver so that the 2-channel signal is processed in the usual fashion. I’m pretty inexperienced with the RME Total Mix tool but thought that in combination with JRiver this type of solution must be possible. My basic question, I guess, is how do I get JRiver to see the optical input of the UFX as the signal to be processed?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

You use the File > Open Live > ASIO Line-in feature in JRiver to route from the inputs of an audio interface to JRiver. Many audio interfaces only allow the ASIO drivers to be used by one client at a time. This means you can't use the same device for input and output since it views JRiver as two clients (one for input and one for output). The only true multi-client devices that I've used are the MOTU AVB devices, Lynx Hilo, and Solid State Logic Alpha-Links. The MOTU is the best. It may work with the RME, too, but I'm not sure.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

Mojave - Thanks. I'll give it a go this week and report back.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

Hi

I have a RME Fireface UFX.

I tested this, ASIO-in with 2 channels. It works great.
Output is to acourateconvolver and then to RME Fireface UFX (DAC) with multiway crossover implemented in acourateconvoler (out to acourateASIO)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi

I have a RME Fireface UFX.

I tested this, ASIO-in with 2 channels. It works great.
Output is to acourateconvolver and then to RME Fireface UFX (DAC) with multiway crossover implemented in acourateconvoler (out to acourateASIO)

Thanks. Are you using the standard RME drivers shipped with the device or have you adopted the Steinberg multi-client driver that Mojave mentioned when introducing this idea? [I'm hesitant to load the new driver if it's not required.] Edit: All I get when I select ASIO Line In is a message in JRiver stating that it's waiting. Second Edit: Just wonder if the use of AcourateConvolver as the output means that in some way the set-up thinks you're using separate input / output devices.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks. Are you using the standard RME drivers shipped with the device or have you adopted the Steinberg multi-client driver that Mojave mentioned when introducing this idea? [I'm hesitant to load the new driver if it's not required.] Edit: All I get when I select ASIO Line In is a message in JRiver stating that it's waiting. Second Edit: Just wonder if the use of AcourateConvolver as the output means that in some way the set-up thinks you're using separate input / output devices.

Yes I use the drivers from RME, the latest one now.
No, I never tried Steinberg-Multiclient as it worked with the RME drivers.

I you open "File open live", then you must select "ASIO Line In" and then configure:
"configure ASIO line in"

In the dropbox you then select the device:
"ASIO Firefcace USB"
Samplerate, Channels
Offset

Then you are set and JRiver palys the input of the Frieface UFX you selected.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes I use the drivers from RME, the latest one now.
No, I never tried Steinberg-Multiclient as it worked with the RME drivers.

I you open "File open live", then you must select "ASIO Line In" and then configure:
"configure ASIO line in"

In the dropbox you then select the device:
"ASIO Firefcace USB"
Samplerate, Channels
Offset

Then you are set and JRiver palys the input of the Frieface UFX you selected.

Thanks. I've been unable to get this set-up working and am wondering if the above works because JRiver sees RME  Fireface as the input and AcourateConvolver as the output rather than both being RME Fireface as is the case in my set-up.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

Hi

I tried, and indeed you are right.

If I use Fireface UFX as Input and acourateASIO as output device it works.

If I use Fireface UFX as input and as output device it does not open the device in "open live". It waits forever.

Maybe to try Steinberg Multicleint would be an option.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi

I tried, and indeed you are right.

If I use Fireface UFX as Input and acourateASIO as output device it works.

If I use Fireface UFX as input and as output device it does not open the device in "open live". It waits forever.

Maybe to try Steinberg Multicleint would be an option.

Much appreciated. I've taken the matter up with RME who, on first assessment, believe that it should work and think the issue might be with JRiver. [Not sure how this could be the case given that other devices are able to support simultaneous input / output via ASIO]. How, out of interest, do you switch between standard JRiver playback as the input and ASIO Line In as the input? [I'm trying to figure out a method that is simple enough for family use.]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Take a look at Zones on our wiki.  It will work for output.  Maybe for input.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

Much appreciated. I've taken the matter up with RME who, on first assessment, believe that it should work and think the issue might be with JRiver. [Not sure how this could be the case given that other devices are able to support simultaneous input / output via ASIO]. How, out of interest, do you switch between standard JRiver playback as the input and ASIO Line In as the input? [I'm trying to figure out a method that is simple enough for family use.]

yes ist must be a JRiver issue and how JRiver uses the driver.
Note: Soundforge 7.0 uses the driver correct
Soundforge 11.0 does not use the driver correctly!!

Proposal for JRiver:

Open Live in ASIO-mode:
it should be possible to select each input which the soundcard provides separately (just a list with clickbox of all the inputs).
The user must than make sure he is not using twice the same input, i.e. assigning the same input to different software.
The implementation of the offset channels thing is restricting and error prone.

The RME Fireface can simultaniously work as input and output even for various software.
So my conlcusion is that RME Fireface UFX and the driver are working correctly in multiclient mode if the software does it right.

at the same time I can:
-Play JRiver files from HD Zone: player)
-Play Spotify (made new Zone: JRiver audio input): here I assigned default playback device in Win7 to JRiver21
The open live in this Zone: WASAPI
-record from Fireface UFX (channel3,4) phono with Soundforge 7.0. However using Soundforge 11.0, it does not work as Soundforge 11.0 blocks the Fireface entirely. This I name back to the future....
-Record with cooleditPro2.1 (channel1,2) from cassette recorder

Note: Samplerate must be on single only!! The different software cannot play record at the same time in different sampling rates with RME Fireface UFX

Peter

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

Take a look at Zones on our wiki.  It will work for output.  Maybe for input.

yes ist must be a JRiver issue and how JRiver uses the driver.
Note: Soundforge 7.0 uses the driver correct
Soundforge 11.0 does not use the driver correctly!!

Proposal for JRiver:

Open Live in ASIO-mode:
it should be possible to select each input which the soundcard provides separately (just a list with clickbox of all the inputs).
The user must than make sure he is not using twice the same input, i.e. assigning the same input to different software.
The implementation of the offset channels thing is restricting and error prone.

The RME Fireface can simultaniously work as input and output even for various software.
So my conlcusion is that RME Fireface UFX and the driver are working correctly in multiclient mode if the software does it right.

at the same time I can:
-Play JRiver files from HD Zone: player)
-Play Spotify (made new Zone: JRiver audio input): here I assigned default playback device in Win7 to JRiver21
The open live in this Zone: WASAPI
-record from Fireface UFX (channel3,4) phono with Soundforge 7.0. However using Soundforge 11.0, it does not work as Soundforge 11.0 blocks the Fireface entirely. This I name back to the future....
-Record with cooleditPro2.1 (channel1,2) from cassette recorder

Note: Samplerate must be on single only!! The different software cannot play record at the same time in different sampling rates with RME Fireface UFX

Peter

JimH / Matt - Is there any way that I can help diagnose the issue with JRiver / RME ASIO driver?

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

JimH / Matt - Is there any way that I can help diagnose the issue with JRiver / RME ASIO driver?

I've not really made any progress with the idea of getting JRiver to process the audio from an external device using a pro-audio soundcard connected via USB. To be clear, the hope is that I could feed input into my soundcard (RME Fireface UFX), use ASIO Line-In to route to JRiver and then route back to the soundcard after processing. The RME team have confirmed that the driver is multi-client but, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work. I don't, Jim, understand the recommendation re. zones - how does this fit into the picture (given that I'm wanting to output to the same output channels on the RME as if I was doing normal play-back)? Note, I get fact that I can use a different output to input but am trying to avoid that set-up as doing audio processing (FIR convolution) allows me to take advantage of the A/V lip sync correction that is required. Am I completely missing the point here or is my goal achievable?
Pages: [1]   Go Up