INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 955Q Setup  (Read 14619 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 955Q Setup
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:23:52 am »

I got hold of one of Hauppauge devices for testing.

Setting it up in MC is straight-forward.  Here are what happened after I plugged the USB device onto my computer.

1. Windows (7) tried to find driver for the device but ended up saying it could not find one.

2. I could have inserted the disk that came with the device and run installation from the DVD.  Since I do not need to install the Hauppauge application, I decided to go to Hauppauge site (http://www.hauppauge.com/) to download the driver.

3. On Hauppauge's main page, I clicked Support, and chose my device (the second item on the right-side column, WinTV-HVR-950Q WinTV-HVR-955Q).

4. On the next page I clicked "Driver" tab, and then clicked Download.  The instruction on the Hauppauge page says to unzip the downloaded package, go into the folder, and run HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE.  That does not seem to be the correct instruction since the downloaded file is an EXE file itself - wintv-hvr-850_95xq_driver_all.exe.  I double-clicked the downloaded file, and it started installation.  I was asked to confirm installation of something from Hauppauge a couple of times during the installation process.  In the end, I needed to restart my computer.

5. After rebooting, the device is ready to be used in MC.  I tried tuning to some ATSC channels.  I also ran a channel scan on it.  It found all channels that I expected to find.  So the device works well in MC.  Please note that when using the device in MC, the device's names are "Hauppauge Cx23100 BDA ATSC Tuner" for digital TV and "Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955q (1114xx ATSC/QAM)" for analog TV.

6. If it is the first time you use TV feature in MC, or the first time you install a TV device on your computer, you need to run TV setup in MC.  You can follow the steps described in the TV setup wiki.

7. The device comes with a foot-long USB extension cable which I find handy.  You can plug the device directly into a USB port, but with a hard stick sticking out from the port, I am always afraid that I might accidentally put force on it and cause damage to the device and my USB port.  Using the extender allows you to let the device rest on your desk instead of sticking out from your computer.

8. The device is a hybrid device, which means you can use it to either tune to ATSC TV or to analog cable TV.  It also comes with A/V connectors that allow you to capture video with it, through composite or SVideo.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 955Q Setup
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:35:23 am »

I recently bought a new 950 that was on clearance due to being an old model, and its performance is better than any of the previous USB tuners I tried (each of which was missing a different one important channel).

According to Hauppauge the 955 has even further improved ATSC channel reception, so it seems that all the people who were recommending the 955 were correct.

( My dedicated DVR PC is an old laptop that is running XP, so the 950 was contemporary to XP and I just used the drivers on the CD.  People who use Win7, 8 or 10 should follow the advice above and download from the Hauppauge site. )

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:02:39 pm »

I have several Hauppage ATSC cards (plus a colossus):  An old 1600 PCI, one 2250 PCI-E, one USB 950 and a 950Q, about 5 1250 PCI-E. I put them in order of sensitivity from worst to better.

Even the 1250 versions differ from one another. The best ones I could find were the D5D9 or D2..Something (I think it's D9 I would have to look in the PC..) and the worst being the E2D9.  Those 1250 cards are very good and sensitive !

It's good to hear you finally have cards to test with Yaobbing!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:51 pm »

It's good to hear you finally have cards to test with Yaobbing!!

I have had many cards over the years, from analog only to hybrids to multi-tuners, from ATI to Hauppauge to SiliconDust.   ;)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:55:46 am »

I kinda new it didn't make sense!!!

BTW I really like all the improvements that were made in 21.0.19 with TV Big thanks to you Yaobbing!!

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:57 pm »

Does anyone know how to set up the capture card portion of a Hauppauge tuner in jriver? I run a vcr through the component cable but can't get jriver to see it. It does work in the wintv program.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 06:54:15 am »

Does anyone know how to set up the capture card portion of a Hauppauge tuner in jriver? I run a vcr through the component cable but can't get jriver to see it. It does work in the wintv program.

TV Options > Setup.

Choose "Capture only".  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Setup#Capture_only

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »

Is there some way to watch the "Capture Only" channel without clicking "record" ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »

Just double-click the channel in the channel list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up