INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to keep CD Music list together for Various artist CD's  (Read 4861 times)

biggin165

• Recent member
How to keep CD Music list together for Various artist CD's
« on: November 04, 2015, 07:38:37 pm »

I have a library of 700 CD's that I am ripping into JR library.  I can rip single artist's CD's fine.  However when I try with various artist CD's the CD list gets scattered.  Is there a method that I can use to keep the music stored in the library the way it is listed on the individual CD?  I have 7 CD's of Hear Music (SFO collection to donate funds to Aids research Various artist contribute songs) and the artist show up as a single artist instead of a list of selectable artist. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to keep CD Music list together for Various artist CD's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:55:13 pm »

Sure, this is a common problem.  I had to learn about it myself when I first started with JRiver MC.

What you want to do is set the Album Artist field to something like "(Multiple Artists)" for these compilation albums.  Here are some more details that should explain everything:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:11:51 am »

I dealt with this issue by creating a new field specifying how I want things sorted. Mentally, I still think of these music units as "Albums" and I set up MC to deal with it in that way. So for compilations, I like to sort by Album Name, because that is how I think of it. So, I put album name in my field. And I can still keep the individual artists listed per song.

I also have an expression that automatically fills this field with the Artist Name and I can then override as needed.

Here's a post from Glynor that worked for me. You might want to read the whole thread for context.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92573.msg638001#msg638001

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:04:09 am »

Ssands, you're describing a sorting issue:  I.E. , sorting by artist's last name.  The OP is discussing how to *group* compilation albums as single albums, rather than as an individual album per artist.

Both are important, but sorting really doesn't apply here.  The album name is the album name.  The [Album Artist] is whatever the OP wants to make it.  Typically "Various", or "(Multiple Artists)".

Brian.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:07:44 am »

MC runs a background process that gathers obvious multi-artist albums by filling the "Album Artist (auto)" column with "(Multiple Artists)".  Then you'll see a single album shown in artist view for the ripped CD.  It may take a few minutes before the system does this and until it occurs, you'll see multiple entries for the ripped CD when looking at artist view.  

As others have stated, you can fill in the Album Artist field if you prefer a different grouping in artist views.  For example, you could select all tracks on the multi-artist album, then right-click and select Library Tools => Move/Copy Fields and enter the Artist field for source and the "Album Artist" field for destination and "Copy" for the action.  Then in artist views the tracks will be grouped under artist rather than under the multi-artist album.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

strangecargo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:11:00 pm »

MC runs a background process that gathers obvious multi-artist albums by filling the "Album Artist (auto)" column with "(Multiple Artists)".  Then you'll see a single album shown in artist view for the ripped CD.  It may take a few minutes before the system does this and until it occurs, you'll see multiple entries for the ripped CD when looking at artist view.  

How long does this process take? My OS X installation puts all the multiple artist albums on my minimserver installation under "(Multiple Artists)", but the same version of Media Center on my Windows PC still lists the same DLNA library as seperate artist entries for every artist on the same albums. They're both using the default "Artists" view and as far as I can tell, they're configured in exactly the same way.

bryant berry

• World Citizen
  • im a good listener,even if i dont look it.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 07:57:02 pm »

i  had  the  same  prob...i  just  deleted   and  re ripped.....this  bugged  me long   time..it  was  fixed  2 wks  ago....im  not  a  pro  at   this  either....it  does  make  my  cd  music  all  most   sacd......blah...ect....and  quick  too!!!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 08:12:33 pm »

How long does this process take? My OS X installation puts all the multiple artist albums on my minimserver installation under "(Multiple Artists)", but the same version of Media Center on my Windows PC still lists the same DLNA library as seperate artist entries for every artist on the same albums. They're both using the default "Artists" view and as far as I can tell, they're configured in exactly the same way.

the DLNA is probably sorting artist, while the regular view is actually sorting on [album artist (auto)] which is where the (multiple artists) value is stored

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:23:07 am »

MC is so powerful as a database, I wouldn't use it as a client to some other server.

Brian.

strangecargo

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:07:10 pm »

Strangely, I started up MC today on my Windows box and connected to my DLNA server and the multiple artists sorting was fixed. I have no idea. I didn't change any settings. The only thing that's really happened since I was having issues was that I rebooted the computer earlier today...
Pages: [1]   Go Up