INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-import after fresh install  (Read 4157 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Auto-import after fresh install
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »

I recently did two installs of MC20 on "fresh" Windows 10 PCs.  In both cases, when I went to run MC the UI didn't show for many seconds, and when it finally did show, Auto-import was already happening.  I cancelled it as soon as possible but the result was that several unwanted files were imported and several unwanted entries were automatically added to the Auto-import folders.  This makes the "Run Import on empty libraries" setting kind of pointless.  I still don't understand why there can't be a Yes/No message box displayed first instead of this automatically happening.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Auto-import after fresh install
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:15:26 pm »

I recently did two installs of MC20 on "fresh" Windows 10 PCs.  In both cases, when I went to run MC the UI didn't show for many seconds, and when it finally did show, Auto-import was already happening.  I cancelled it as soon as possible but the result was that several unwanted files were imported and several unwanted entries were automatically added to the Auto-import folders.  This makes the "Run Import on empty libraries" setting kind of pointless.  I still don't understand why there can't be a Yes/No message box displayed first instead of this automatically happening.

I agree; It's always a mad dash that first time.  I find it difficult no matter what, but it's especially frustrating when setting up Raspberry Pi's because the UI isn't super responsive, so it's always 50/50 whether I can cancel it before the countdown finishes, and cancelling it once it starts takes a while on a Pi.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:23:21 pm »

This is brought up a couple of times each year. I really dislike this behaviour too. The reasoning for it, as I seem to recall, is that all of the people that you see complaining about this are just (quite) vocal anecdotal pieces of evidence that we don't want this; the actual data, found by research done by JRiver a few years ago showed otherwise - that the common user prefers the auto-import as is.

I find that hard to believe, especially these days, since people are more conscious about their privacy. However, finding something "hard to believe" doesn't mean it's not true, or that the actual data does not support it. Just because I have never met a single person who likes the existing way of doing things, doesn't mean that the majority don't love it. That's how science works, and sometimes the truth is inconvenient. That said, I would love the experiment/focus groups to be repeated. There is so much of MC that is not geared towards the common user, that this aspect of it (and its justification) feels kind of out of place.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:57:18 pm »

Nobody likes this behavior. Perhaps it time to rethink it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:30:50 pm »

It it is a major benefit for new users, and a minor nuisance for experienced users.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »

How would the benefit be gone if there were a simple yes/no confirmation first?

There was no chance to cancel before it started.  The default also is to automatically download cover art and movie & tv info so it could possibly start writing a bunch of images and sidecar files to disk without any warning.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:23:05 pm »

I don't find it a problem, Experienced users know how to abort the import, and it helps new users.

I don't like the Yes\No question, because it is just one more prompt that would need to be answered, and may confuse new users.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

That is my major complaint.  There was no way to abort before it started.  I never saw the countdown window since the UI didn't display until it was already importing.  And if a new user is confused by a simple "Do you want to automatically import your media now?" yes/no question, then how are the going to handle the rest of MC?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »

If it imported things you don't want, just remove them.

Or even clear the library and cancel the auto-import that time.

I agree with Jim that this is a big benefit for new users and a minor issue for advanced users.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:47 pm »

I've been bitten many times for many reasons doings rebuilds, setting up a new computer just for remote use etc.

I also see no reason a dialog couldn't be popped up asking for permission. In fact there have been plenty of complaints from audiophiles that are in a panic because they thought their tags were being changed by this import etc. I'm sure those new users were not happy with the help even if it actually did nothing wrong. IMHO a piece of software should always get permission before embarking on "helpful" but unnecessary behaviour.

Also as mentioned, there is nothing lost by asking first.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »

Perhaps a command line switch, so experienced users could turn it off and new/casual users get the benefit?

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 12:05:28 am »

I've been bitten many times for many reasons doings rebuilds, setting up a new computer just for remote use etc.

I also see no reason a dialog couldn't be popped up asking for permission. In fact there have been plenty of complaints from audiophiles that are in a panic because they thought their tags were being changed by this import etc. I'm sure those new users were not happy with the help even if it actually did nothing wrong. IMHO a piece of software should always get permission before embarking on "helpful" but unnecessary behaviour.

Also as mentioned, there is nothing lost by asking first.

Agree completely!

Spike1000

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 04:19:08 am »

I can see why JR runs the auto-import on fresh installs; it populates the database with, as a minimum, the random cr*p (in my case from windows) sample .JPG and .MP3 files that come with windows. This automatically gives new users some content see and play in JR. If it didn't run automatically new users would struggle to get any content into JR and give up and not get past the trial and not become paying customers. . .
After that very first install the auto-install never needs to run for a given user no matter how many times they re-install on any given computer.

What would be much more preferable is, as suggested, have a confirmation box in addition to the countdown timer as some experienced users are not catching/seeing the countdown before it runs and imports unnecessary cr*p.

In addition please have some "new user" instructions and a walk through video to show people how to get JR up and running. JR is a steep leaning curve but auto import is no substitute for better user guides/videos/documentation. As an example why not have a 'getting started video' (and say an MP3 audio introduction from Jim welcoming people to JR) installed into a(?) database at install time (a bit like the Windows start up video for fresh windows installs) this gives sample content and instructions in one go  :) There could maybe be a option to remove these once played or just remove them . . .

I'd also like to see a 'run auto-import now' shorter-cut or button. So maybe Tools | 'run auto-import now' in addition to  Tools | Import | 'run auto-import now' or maybe just a short cut key combination. I run auto import a lot when I'm tinkering and it's just a bit annoying deep in the menu system as it stands.

Cheers

Spike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 08:44:11 am »

Next build:
Changed: The Action Window timer for starting an import only runs if the frame is visible (so minimizing the program will yield the run).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up