INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best way to play 96 kHz music files on Bose companion 5 speakers  (Read 4248 times)

doctoxics

A real novice way down on the learning curve. Trying to play 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC music files on Bose companion 5 speakers?  Media Center will only allow them to be played at 48 kHz/24 bits.  Is there a way to play them at 96 kHz?  Thanks for any help.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe

I looked up the manual for your system, and it is - to put it mildly - not very comprehensive. From what I could see:
1. The only connection to your computer is USB, right?
2. If so, the signal is digital-to-analog (DAC) converted in your Bose system.

And if all above is correct and you do not get anything above 48/24 to play, I guess the DAC in your system only accepts up to 48kHz/24bit. Many DAC's have this limitation. The workaround (which is excellent, you will not notice it) is to resample in real time in MC's DSP engine:
Tools->Options->Audio->Settings->DSP&Output format

Here you check the Output Format box and make all inputs with sample rates above 48kHz to be resampled to 48kHz (or lower, but you probably don't want that).

This was probably not the answer you wanted, but - as far as I could work out from the really sparse technical info from Bose - the only option you've got.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

The speakers have a stereo mini-jack input for analog signals. You could get a USB DAC that does 96/24 and put that between the computer and the speakers, using an RCA to stereo mini-jack adapter. Something like the IFI Nano would be a good, inexpensive option. It is undoubtedly a better DAC than the one in your system. It plays up to 352/384 KHz PCM and 2x DSD. The question is whether or not you would actually hear a difference with those speakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up