INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to use MC after attempting to use it in another System  (Read 6694 times)

jimbones

• Recent member
Unable to use MC after attempting to use it in another System
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:32 am »

Hi, I attempted to use my Laptop with MC19 (last update of version 19) in my friends system so he could experience HD audio. Unfortunately I was not able to get it to work since he has a different DAC.
I am getting the following error:

MC is running but there may be a problem. possible causes:
1 the program is also running under a  different user account
2 MC and Media Server are both in Windows startup(remove one)
3 The program is not responding for an unknown reason.

Any advice in resolving this is appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

jimbones

• Recent member
Re: Unable to use MC after attempting to use it in another System
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:31:26 pm »

Really? Wow, am I leaving out important info? no replies?  ?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 12:03:22 am »

It is certianly not usual to have a problem when you connect a different DAC.

You haven't provided much detail about what you did before you wne to your friend's place, what you did there and what you did when you came home.  You might also describe how you are using MC.  Do you have the media network feature checked?  (Look at the Tools/Options/Media Network options and the Tools/Options/Startup Windows Startup options.

You quoted the error message that was displayed.  Did you look into those three possible causes?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:27:47 am »

That error message is typically displayed when something has gone awry, you have closed MC, and then immediately opened it, not understanding that MC takes a little while to fully close down, particularly in a new installation, where Auto-Import may still be running, thumbnails may still be building, and audio analysis may be going on.

If you get that message, wait 30 seconds, and then try again.

If you still get the message, reboot the PC, and try again.

If none of that works, then come back and tell use what you were doing at the time, and someone may help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:12:07 am »

Thanks to you both for responding. OK so I will try to provide pertinent info.
My DAC is a Burson Conductor. My Friends DAC is a Lampi 7. Both require an Amanero driver. Since I already had an Amanero driver on my laptop I assumed it would work. It didn't
I tried different settings and I could see the "VU" meter jumping on MC but we didn't hear any sound from his equipment. (His DAC has a display that says I2S.) I assumed that had something to do with it.
So I shut down and went home to see if everything would return to normal but it didn't.

Other info: I typically use JPLay with MC. In this case I made sure JPlay was not running so not to complicate things.

With regard to the error messages:
I have 2 laptops with MC on it (I don't really use the other laptop anymore). I have GIZMO on a tablet. Could this have something to do with the first error message? (Note: I recently updated to Windows 10 and have been using it for a week failure free before this happened).

I see Media Center in what I believe is a start up menu in Windows 10 (not that familiar with 10) I don't see "Media Server' in start up , I don't use Media Server

I hope this info is sufficient to start a diagnosis. Thanks.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 12:07:34 pm »

Thanks for the additional information.  It is a start.

Both Windows and JRiver enumerate audio output devices when they start up.  In addition, they recognize a device when it is plugged in later.

When you took your laptop to your friend's place, your Burson DC was probably not plugged in. If that DAC had been the Windows default output device, Windows would have chosen some other dfevice as the default output device.  Similarly, JRiver would choose a new output device when the Burson DAC was not available.  That probably would have been the Windows default device which might not have been your friend's Lampi DAC.

So JRiver was probably outputting audio to something other than the Lampi DAC.  You needed to select the Lampi DAC as the output device in JRiver.  (Player/Playback options/Audio device)

When you got home and connected your Burson DAC, JRiver probably added it to the list of available output devices.  However, the selected output device was probably still the Windows default device.  You needed to select the Burson DAC as the output device.

This process works a bit differently depended on whether you were using Direct Sound. WASAPI or ASIO as the audio output protocol.  However, the general idea of Plug and Play enumeration and how Windows and JRiver use it applies to each case.

Now about the error message.  Are you now able to get JRiver running so that you can use the menus to change the audio output device?

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:20:51 pm »

Thanks,

I embedded my answers below:

When you took your laptop to your friend's place, your Burson DC was probably not plugged in.<<correct>>

If that DAC had been the Windows default output device, Windows would have chosen some other dfevice as the default output device.  Similarly, JRiver would choose a new output device when the Burson DAC was not available.  That probably would have been the Windows default device which might not have been your friend's Lampi DAC.

So JRiver was probably outputting audio to something other than the Lampi DAC.  You needed to select the Lampi DAC as the output device in JRiver.  (Player/Playback options/Audio device) << I don't believe that the Lampi ever came up as an option as I don't think it was recognized>>

When you got home and connected your Burson DAC, JRiver probably added it to the list of available output devices.  However, the selected output device was probably still the Windows default device.  You needed to select the Burson DAC as the output device.

This process works a bit differently depended on whether you were using Direct Sound. WASAPI or ASIO as the audio output protocol.  However, the general idea of Plug and Play enumeration and how Windows and JRiver use it applies to each case.

Now about the error message.  Are you now able to get JRiver running so that you can use the menus to change the audio output device? <<no>>

I just got home from work and will do a little digging. Thanks Much

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 05:38:21 pm »

I tried different settings and I could see the "VU" meter jumping on MC but we didn't hear any sound from his equipment. (His DAC has a display that says I2S.)

Just a hint in case you try to set up a system with your friend's DAC again:  I2S is a connection type for DACs that's not super common.  Not unheard of, but not common like USB or optical digital.  It uses (you guessed it) an I2S connector.  It's very possible that there is a button, a remote control, or some other way to switch his DAC to talk to the USB input instead.  Your computer and the DAC probably never "saw" each other because the DAC was only looking on the I2S connector.  Probably.

Brian.

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 06:10:04 pm »

I am convinced that was a "contributor"  ;D

OK so I made some progress. I went into the start menu i didn't see Media Server listed so I clicked "All Apps" and then JRiver and there it was. I single clicked it. It disappeared then I was able to open MC!! However I still have no sound so I will keep digging.

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »

Ok, so I restarted the dac and the dac is not recognized.  Now I have Tigre how to get it back as the default device

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 09:36:51 pm »

Brian, I will NEVER bring my laptop anywhere. It will remain in my system, thats it. I don't want to go through this again ha ha.

jimbones

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

Ok so spending some time with this tonight. I believe I may have a driver issue. It says that the USB device is not recognized. (The drivers were installed and working however I wonder if they became corrupted? Maybe a Windows setting?
 In any event i went to the Burson website and it looks like they now have a windows 10 driver. (weird, it was working with the original Win 8 driver for a couple of weeks no problem)
Pages: [1]   Go Up