INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combine libraries?  (Read 4915 times)

jaybe

• Recent member
Combine libraries?
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:10 pm »

Can I use more than one storage location, for example, 2 hard drives, to store my music, but have them show up in JRiver or JRemote all together? So, somehow combine the libraries to all appear as one, and therefore let me browse through and play artists, albums etc from multiple sources at the same time as if it was only from one source.

Up to now what I've done is create a library for each source, then when I want something from another source I have to go to JR and make that library the active one. Just wonder if there's another way.

Thank you.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Combine libraries?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:49 pm »

You can have as many hard drives or folders as you want configured in MC.  Just import the drives or folders.  Or set up auto import on (for example) your C:\Music folder and your E:\Music folder.   MC will import everything and show you everything in one unified view, just like you want.  You could have 10 hard drives, all with music on them and MC would be able to import from all of them into the same library.

Brian.

jaybe

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:20:33 pm »

So can someone advise how to go about this?

Now I have one internal drive with all my music files. I created a new library called Library 1, and pointed it to this drive. So when I choose which library to load (there's only this one, plus the default Main Library already in JR, which I don't use), all these files load. So in my setup, a library equals a source. Is this the right way to do it?

Now let's say I attach an external drive with more music files. I want to see all these files in the same view as all the files on the first drive. How?

Would it be to just setup another folder to import from into this same library?

Note I do not actually have the 2 drives right now but am preparing for this setup and want to be ready when it's on hand.

Thank you for any help.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:41:03 pm »

So in my setup, a library equals a source. Is this the right way to do it?

It's a good thing to keep your music in just a few locations.  Having an entire drive devoted to music storage is a great way to keep them together and organized.  But a "library" can span several drives if you want it to.  See the next question...

Now let's say I attach an external drive with more music files. I want to see all these files in the same view as all the files on the first drive. How?

Easy.  Just import the files on that drive.  I would do it with auto import: 
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Folders > Add

Then find the top level folder on the new drive where you have your music and set it up as an auto import folder.

After that, MC will show you all the music in your original location (the internal drive) *and* all the music in the folder on the external drive as well.  As you add new music to the external drive, MC will automatically see it and import it into the library.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up