INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting Problem / Bug?  (Read 3116 times)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorting Problem / Bug?
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:38:24 am »

I also keep a spreadsheet of my albums and started noticing that the orders were different in the JRiver. I always sort first by Album Artist then Album. So under Bob Marley why am I seeing an album name order of 'Legend...' then 'One Love... then back to 'Legend...' again? Here are screen grabs of the sorting config in the rules for file display on the view and what I'm actually seeing. Is this a bug? The album artists all look ok, it just seems to be the secondary sorting on Album (that i've noticed).

For some reason the images aren't displaying in the post within the [img] tag things so here the links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMNFgtdGxMUVp6bUk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMeGdValVqbGxzYmc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting Problem / Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:29:50 am »

hmm not sure but try retagging the date to 1984 like the other versions of the album (might have a date sort-on-group in the view display options from the drop down menu overriding the view sort order?)

or maybe the album artist has a space in it or is not exactly identical in some way (test by copying the album artist field from the correct entries and pasting it into the one that is out of sequence.

if these still don't sort it, maybe the [album artist(auto)] field is filled out but not the [album artist] field for the last album, depending on how you tag this could happen ...

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:31 am »

Two things:

1.  I'm guessing you have a space after either Album Artist, or Album in the album that's sorted wrong.  Here's a good way to tell:  Highlight one track from an album that sorts correctly.  Highlight one track from an album that does NOT sort correctly.  Open the tagging pane.  Now look at Album Artist, and Album.  If they say "varies" then they are different.  Click the drop down and it will show you both values.  If they look the same, it's probably a space.   So then select only one of them and click to edit the value.  You'll see trailing or leading spaces when you into edit mode.

2. You really should sort on [Album Artist (auto)].  That way your sort will work, even when [Album Artist] isn't filled out.  But I don't think that's related to your problem.  Just mentioning it.

Brian.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:40 pm »

I checked your suggestions but nothing came up, all the tagging is consistent and correct. I've now realised what's happening though. JRiver is sorting the albums for each Album Artist by the Year column, oldest to newest. This is the pattern throughout all my view lists.

To test the default behaviour I right clicked on 'Audio' on the left and chose 'Add Library View...'. In the 'Add Library View' chooser it gives you large thumbnails of a selection of default views, I chose 'Albums'. I then right clicked on the new 'Albums' view on the left of JRiver and chose 'Customize View' and enabled the 'Always show files' option so i could view the list. I then reviewed the list and the default was again to display each artist's albums sorted by Year, this is overriding the album names (A-Z). So this looks like it's doing it by default?

Even when I customize the new 'Albums' test view using 'Set Rules for File Display...', add a new modifier under 'Modify Results' selecting 'Sort By' and add just 'Album Artist' and 'Album' in that order it still doesn't stop it sorting the albums for each artist by Year.

I have been very careful to ensure all my albums have 'Album Artist' tags assigned so using 'Album Artist (auto)' doesn't help. I did test this though, the album year still wins over Album Name. It sorts the albums under each artist by album name if the years are the same but if not then the year wins.

Love to know how I resolve this....

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »

assuming you are only talking about standard mode, this is what I was referring to above

have you checked this out?

sort by and sort group by can over-ride the view settings (also if you click on the date column, but it didn't look to be the case

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »

Perhaps it's easiest if I give you the current view config in full, it's the one I use for bulk updates / tagging so it's configured as Panes to help with that. Perhaps you can look at this and tell me what's wrong or if I've missed something:

1). The right click Customize View... settings are like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMbnlpQzlpdVVDZHc/view?usp=sharing

2). The menu at the top of JRiver is configured as:

List Style is set to Details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMaFU0OUtMQjk4NnM/view?usp=sharing

Group By is set to Album: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMMDJKcndSdVRja1E/view?usp=sharing

Sort inside Groups By > Custom > shows: Disk# then Track#
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bJDfVF1SAMeXJKYWNQYVpZZlE/view?usp=sharing

I notice that the Sort Inside Groups By > Custom menu just reflects whatever is in the Set Rules for File Display... > Modify Results window (see the first pic).

For whatever reason, this config results in Album names being ignored in favour of Year in Details list style with album grouping. If I switch the list style to Album Thumbnails I can see the thumbnails are shown in the correct order (Artists then Album names for each artist).

Jumping to an example of a different view set as Categories instead of Panes, if I select List Style Thumbnails and turn on the list view for the bottom half (Always show files option), the thumbnails are again correct in the top but the list view has the Year problem. Why the inconsistency? Thumbnails are nice to look at but in list view JRiver is really powerful for tag updates.

So I guess the main question is: how do I get a useful list view that provides all my tracks grouped into albums (preferrably so I see one thumbnail per album) then sorted by album artist followed by album name?

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »

The closest solution that works for me (for using a Details list style in Panes view) is to group by Album Artist. If you configure nothing else and leave Sort In Groups By.. as (Default) then all the albums are in the correct name order for each artist group.

I don't find it as useful as grouping by album with a nice big thumbnail per album in the list but it's better than a huge list of tracks with tiny thumbnails per track. Question remains though, would the developers consider modifying the default Details list view behaviour so that when you group by Album and sort by Album Artist they're displayed by album name per artist, not year?

Thanks for your help though, JRiver is a superb product with really powerful features. You should be very proud of it.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »

Ok, now I understand what's going on.  I didn't know MC did this!

The Group By setting is what's hanging you up.  I've confirmed that:

Group by Album:  Groups by Album for each Artist.  Sorts the Albums by Year ascending.
Group by Album (by date):  Does the same thing, but sorts by Year descending.

So how in the world do you group by album and sort alphabetically by Album?  It's obvious, but it's not so obvious.:  Group by > more sort groups (a-z) > Album

That should get you exactly the sorting and grouping you want.

Brian.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 06:13:25 pm »

I see what you're saying, they're different I hadn't picked up on that. Group By > Album sorts them by Album Artist (this is the one i like). Group By > More Sort Groups (A-Z) > Album sorts the albums by album name. The nice thing about the first one is that the title bar for each grouped album says "<Album Name> by <Album Artist>". This means you can effectively dump those two columns from the view if you want to save some space. After all, those columns would just say the same thing on every track row anyway and they're quite space consuming.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 08:39:34 pm »

You can group by other fields too.  There's an included field called [Artist - Album (year)] that is almost what you want.  Set Group By to that and see how you like it.  If it's what you want, you're done.  But I think you probably want something almost the same, except that it uses [Album Artist] instead of Artist.  You can very easily create your own custom field that has a calculated value to get you exactly what you want.

I would use the definition of [Artist - Album (year)] as a template, and just replace [Artist] with [Album Artist].  I'm pretty sure that would get you the view you're looking for.  You might not even care about the year part.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up