INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC and iTunes use the same music Library?  (Read 3656 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
Can MC and iTunes use the same music Library?
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:18:03 pm »

For those who've seen my past posts, I still have not started my migration from iTunes to MC - I've still been thinking and planning (and basically work and family and home stuff that's taking up most of my time.  :-))

My original plan had been to copy my iTunes music library files to a new directory and load/attach that new directory to MC.  However, it dawned on my that I might be able to simply load/attach the existing iTunes music library directory to MC.   Does anyone have any insights on whether this is a good idea or NOT a good idea? 

I understand that I will have to be very careful when using them both side-by-side until I'm ready to "turn off" iTunes.  For example, I don't want to create new tags and add metadata in MC and then go and "Get Info" and edit it in iTunes - which would probably overwrite the editting I'd done in MC.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can MC and iTunes use the same music Library?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:19:51 pm »

Yes you can do it. Just do not rename or relocate the files or folders.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:49:49 am »

Hi

A thought of how you can keep both libraries up to date.

Your ITunes library should be set up as

C:\Users\xx..xx\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Adele etc and split by Artist

by default as you installed iTunes and added music to it

Why not stick with that file format and on the AutoImport configuration of MC simply use this folder as a "Watched Folder" ,The first time MC sees it , it will import all the files into its library structure and the 2 libraries will be in sync.

After that any music you add via iTunes will automatically go into the appropriate "artist" folder , as a Watched folder MC will auto import it. Or you can manually save files to the iTunes structure.

If you have a secondary structure , add that folder to the AutoImport watched folder , the best of both worlds.

Mike

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:32:56 am »

^

Exactly.

And if you change tags in iTunes then if MC is watching the folder/files it will update its tags too.

But just to repeat again what I said before, do not let iTunes rename or move any files, since that causes MC to lose the old named file and discover the new named file, and that causes one broken link plus one duplicate entry in MC. Also do not let MC rename or move any files, since that causes iTunes to lose the old named file, and not find the new named file.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:23:13 am »

Thanks, guys -- this makes me more comfortable with this approach.  I do have two questions, though:

And if you change tags in iTunes then if MC is watching the folder/files it will update its tags too.

Won't iTunes clobber the tags/values created by MC by doing this?

do not let iTunes rename or move any files, since that causes MC to lose the old named file and discover the new named file,

I let iTunes "Keep Library Organized" and have never manually changed any file names.  However, if I change a track name in iTunes, or update an Artist's name so the folder name changes, then the file name or the path will necessarily change.  I thought I read somewhere (perhaps mistakenly) the MC can handle file name changes, but I see how this might not be the case.    What's the best approach for mitigating this issue?

Bill

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:07 am »

I let iTunes "Keep Library Organized" and have never manually changed any file names.  However, if I change a track name in iTunes, or update an Artist's name so the folder name changes, then the file name or the path will necessarily change.  I thought I read somewhere (perhaps mistakenly) the MC can handle file name changes, but I see how this might not be the case.    What's the best approach for mitigating this issue?

Bill

This is what you don't want iTunes to do. Whether or not you use JRiver IMO, by the way. The tags that write to the file will as Andrew said be updated in JRiver (provided that the external changes flag is checked in the import options). It should not mess your tags up (but I can give some instances where it could).  iTunes can really make a mess of this if you let it "keep your library organized".  Ok my opionion, but I bet there are others that would agree :)  This would be an ideal time to reset up your file structure. Get rid of the keep organized option. and make sure each artist as a folder and album sub-folders. Make a compilation folder like \Multiple or Various Artists and if you have classical music might want to set one up for classical and then by composer. Changing the track name tag shouldn't change the file name though ... thats wierd, that could cause duplicates for JRiver?!

eg Z:\Music\Album Artist Name\Album Name\a consistent file name     -- For the latter I use Track Number, Track Name, Album name, Artist Name, although some people think this is overkill that way you can always recover the key metadata. I have found that keeping original album art in the album folder can make things easier, but its not required.  iTunes really messes with album art.

If you are lucky this is already in place. If not it won't hurt just re import/repoint the library into itunes ... then if for some reason JRiver doesn't work out for you, you'll be set to go in any other half way decent player software. You can continue to use itunes if needed for syncing too. I'd stop tagging with it as soon as you have made up your mind to switch permanently.  :)

Just for info to avoid any semantic confusion, usually the library is referring to the database files that itunes and JRiver are using. Those are indeed separate and distinct. However, the media files themselves can, as said above, be shared. SO if the metadata is embedded in the files, they can update both databases. If the tags are not embedded -- like play counts, maybe ratings and things etc, these would not be shared as they are in separate databases (or libraries if you follow me)

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »

...and all of this is pretty much why you should establish a separate media repository for MC.   Make your life simple.  :)

Brian.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:33:52 pm »

...and all of this is pretty much why you should establish a separate media repository for MC.   Make your life simple.  :)

Hence my original post.  I'd planned on doing this, then realized that MC can monitor the same directory of music files that iTunes uses and - presumably - I can use both until I'm finally ready to retire iTunes for good.  (which would then, on an unrelated topic, require planning on how to handle my iPod.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up