INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am trying to figure out how to sort my library a certain way.  (Read 4027 times)

AudiodoctorCA

I am trying to figure out how to sort my library a certain way.
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:52:28 am »

and so far I can not. What I want to do is

Artist (alphabetically)> Albums by year. 

If anyone has an idea how to do that I would greatly appreciate it.

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: I am trying to figure out how to sort my library a certain way.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:43:14 am »

Hi,

Though you don't provide much information, I can give you some hints. Fortunately there are more ways doing this, thanks to the versatility of MC.

1. Sort Albums by Date (oldest first) or Date (newest first). For instance: Customize view > Edit Albums > Sort by Date (....).

2. If you also want to see the year, then you can work with a selfmade Field:

Options > Library & Folders > .... Manage Library Fields > Add New Field

Name your field, and use Calculated data. The expression could be: [Year] | [Album]

Use your new own field instead of Albums and you will see something like this:

Rush
               1974 | Rush
               1975 | Fly by Night
               1975 | Caress of Steel
               1976 | 2112

etc.

Hope this will help you.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:21 am »

and so far I can not. What I want to do is

Artist (alphabetically)> Albums by year.  

If anyone has an idea how to do that I would greatly appreciate it.

as Robertus said the best way is by views and there are a lot of ways to do what you want.

but I would recommend Customize View=>Set Rules for file display -- as the edit category option can be limited depending on whether it is a pane or category type view as related to the mode (Standard, Theater, or Remote view). In this way you can avoid some issues wen you get more advanced. Might want to  read the Wiki on this and also the section on how album artist auto works,  before starting to create custom fields  ;) .

This is one of my views that sort in the way I think you want to (although in the screenshot it shows the  Album Artist field and not the Artist field -- see below). It is a good idea to add Disc # and then track # btw.

PS - Most people want to use  [Album Artist] or [Album Artist (Auto)] and not the [Artist] field as the default grouping is by this combo Album Artist-Album. If you do this by the Artist field you probably will see your multiple artist/compilation albums split up. You can do this by the Artist field though (I have views for both, so maybe you want to too?  :) )

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:10 am »

My guess is that the reason the OP hasn't figured it out themselves is that they have Grouping enabled.

If you have Grouping enabled in the view (where the file list is broken down into little sub-groups with larger-font "headings"), then sorting of the groups themselves is handled automatically and overrides any sorting applied to the view (which only apply "within" the grouping).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:48:43 am »

Here's a simple answer:

If you're using the regular "Artists" view, you can sort the top level by name.  Click on the header at the top with the down arrow and you'll get a menu.  Select:  Sort By > Name

Now, double click on an artist with more than one album.  You'll see a list of their albums.  Again, click on the header with the down arrow and you'll get the same menu.  This time select:  Sort By > Date (oldest first).

Now that view is sorted the way you want at both levels:  Artist by name, Albums by year.  I hope that helps.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 10:35:35 am »

@Glynor yep probably

@Brian/O.P.

Click on the header at the top with the down arrow and you'll get a menu.  Select:  Sort By > Name
you can do this in Standard Mode, but not in Theater or the remote modes .... if you want to import the standard view to theaterview there could be be issues

EDIT oops sorry MAC forum  :-[ ... u guys don't have theater view yet do you??

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »

Right now, I have album view set to default.  It groups albums by artist in alphabetical order.  I would post a pic of it if I could figure out how.

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:18 pm »

Ha, I got it!  Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:38:30 pm »

:-[ ... u guys don't have theater view yet do you??

No, but we do have Media Network Views.

It is worth bringing up... I prefer to do all sorting in the Customize View's Set Rules for File Display search dialog, because it is (1) less fiddly to add multiple search categories and (2) because it matches when you need to apply the same thing to Media Network and Theater Views.

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 01:25:27 am »

well, I had it...  I spoke too soon it seems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 02:39:38 pm »

A screenshot of what you're looking at, and more description of what you want to accomplish would help.

I'd recommend you apply sorting in the Customize View dialog, as shown by Arindelle above. One thing to be aware of is that, by default, MC saves new sort order when you click on the headers (Name, Artist, Album, etc) when you are looking at a file listing (in Details Style). If you want those to only be temporary, you can turn that off: Tools > Options > Tree  View > Sorting > Save changes on list header clicks

If you are using Grouping (where the file listing itself is "divided up" and shows section headings), then the Grouping itself is always the primary sort "item". Whatever the grouping titles are (those section headings) will be how it sorts overall. More info here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101746.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up