INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connect to a Windows 10 media server from a MAC or Linux Client.  (Read 3459 times)

pauljhammond

• Recent member
Connect to a Windows 10 media server from a MAC or Linux Client.
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:21:37 pm »

I have a Windows 10 PC configured as my JRiver media server. I can connect to it and play media with my other PC running Windows 10 and JRiver. However when I install JRiver on my MacBook or Linux PC with JRiver installed I can connect to the server and see my video library but I get an error saying there was something wrong when trying to open videos.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Connect to a Windows 10 media server from a MAC or Linux Client.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:54:07 pm »

I have a Windows 10 PC configured as my JRiver media server. I can connect to it and play media with my other PC running Windows 10 and JRiver. However when I install JRiver on my MacBook or Linux PC with JRiver installed I can connect to the server and see my video library but I get an error saying there was something wrong when trying to open videos.

What version of MC for mac and linux are you running?  Only ask because video support came late in version 20 and has seen improvements in 21 (meaning that if you're running an early version of MC 20, that would explain why there's no video).

I've run a windows 10 server with Linux clients and had no problem playing video, so it's definitely possible.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:18 pm »

My Mac clients essentially always connect to a Windows server. Video works fine.

The "something went wrong with playback" error often indicates a misconfigured DSP setup. This could be a few different things, but if the error happens on video I'm betting:

1. You have DSP > Output Format > Channels set to Source Number of Channels.
2. You are trying to play multi-channel source files to a device that only has stereo outputs available.

That would result in a "something went wrong" playback error, because MC cannot play a 6 channel audio file to a 2 channel output without converting the channels.

I'd recommend running through:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

If that doesn't help, post a screenshot of the actual error message, along with your Audio Settings in Tools > Options > Audio and your DSP > Output Format settings.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »

I have my MacBook set to 2 channels as well as my Linux PC which is connect via HDMI directly to a TV. I also tried hooking the linux system to my stereo with hdmi pass through using 2 channels and five. I get the attached error on both the Mac and Linux box. Also attached is a screenshot of my DSP settings on my MacBook.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »

This is probably not the cause, but: You should set the Sample Rate in the Output Format DSP to resample any unsupported formats to the highest Sample Rate your device supports.

This wouldn't be causing the problem, though, with that error dialog. It'll cause other errors though if you play any unsupported files.

Please also post the screenshot of Tools > Options > Audio. The error message you're getting is not the one I expected, though, so I'm not sure this is the right tack. Worth looking over, though.

Also, describe how you're connecting to the server (directly via IP or with an access key), and how the server itself sees the files (are they on a local disk on the server, or on a network share, etc).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:35:26 pm »

See attached for the screen shot of my audio settings. I'm connecting to the remote library by access key. The server itself stores the files locally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up