INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server startup problem (+ others)  (Read 4377 times)

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
  • Form is Emptiness - Emptiness is Form
Media Server startup problem (+ others)
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:31:00 am »

OS X v10.11.1 - MC v21.0.25

specifying that only the Media Server should be started results in both the Media Center and Media Server being started.  one can witness this happening.  on startup (with option specifying only the server should be brought up) the MC icon first appears in the dock, then the MC icon appears in the menu bar, lastly the Media Center app window appears.  don't know if this is a clue or not, but looking at my login items in system preferences the app 'MC Application' appears in list.  this is true whether it is specified that only Media Center, or only Media Server, or both should be started.  this bug has implications for the bug, also re-posted here, that prevents OS X from shutting down.  this bug is easy enough to confirm.  

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:42:28 am »

OS X v10.11.1 - MC v21.0.25

Media Center prevents OS X from shutting down.  upon further experimentation i have discovered a deeper truth.  shut down proceeds normally if only Media Center is running or if only Media Server is running.  when both are running then shut down is prevented.  one can witness this happening.  when OS X is shut down, the Media Center icon disappears from the dock, but the Media Server icon stays in the menu bar.  OS X is prevented from shutting down and the OS X MsgBox about 'shut down being prevented' is displayed.  selecting 'try again' results in OS X shutting down without any further complaints.  because of Media Server startup bug (also re-posted here), i couldn't directly test what happens when only server is running, but i addressed it in another way.  i let both come up, manually shut down Media Center and then manually shut down OS X.  shut down was not prevented. in the past, stalwart beta testers have tried to recreate this bug and couldn't.  i suspect that it was because only Media Center running during the test.  with new information, this bug should be easy enough to confirm.

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:54:12 am »

OS X v10.11.1 -

during the course of reporting a couple of MC OS X bugs, i was instructed to update my MC version.  since i had to manually update from 21.0.8 to 21.0.24 and 'Help->Up Channels->Disable Automatic Update' is not set, it seems that automatic update is not working.  having said that, i noticed that upon startup the other day there was an update to 21.0.25 waiting installation.  perhaps, a deeper truth is that once the first update is effected manually, then subsequent updates proceeded automatically.  Still, seems like a bug.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server startup problem (+ others)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:14:37 am »

I split these from the build thread because at least some require discussion. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:21:38 am »

OS X v10.11.1 -

during the course of reporting a couple of MC OS X bugs, i was instructed to update my MC version.  since i had to manually update from 21.0.8 to 21.0.24 and 'Help->Up Channels->Disable Automatic Update' is not set, it seems that automatic update is not working.  having said that, i noticed that upon startup the other day there was an update to 21.0.25 waiting installation.  perhaps, a deeper truth is that once the first update is effected manually, then subsequent updates proceeded automatically.  Still, seems like a bug.
Not a bug.  Please read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:45:42 am »

Please read about Media Server on the wiki.  It is MC, just a smaller version.

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:02:24 am »

Please read about Media Server on the wiki.  It is MC, just a smaller version.

JimH -

i don't understand your point.  i've read the wiki.  how does this effect the two media server related bugs i have reported?  if someone will just try to recreate them (really easy enough) then they will see what i am reporting.

Regards

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:27 am »

I am with you, Zombie-wmd, I reported this bug too and was told that not shutting down my Mac but sleeping it was the solution. Basically I was told: " Why do you want to shut down your computer? Just don't and you wont see the bug!". Couldn't quite believe it....
The bug is still there, since MC 20, both on my Mac Mini, and iMac retina 5k.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:13:32 am »

I am with you, Zombie-wmd, I reported this bug too and was told that not shutting down my Mac but sleeping it was the solution. Basically I was told: " Why do you want to shut down your computer? Just don't and you wont see the bug!". Couldn't quite believe it....

That was probably me who said that.  I don't work for JRiver or represent them in any way.  It's just my opinion.  I just wanted to point that out because it's not any kind of "official response".  I'm going to step away from this thread now.

Good luck guys.

Brian.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 08:49:03 am »

No worries, bigentry, I see where you are coming from, and I have plenty of Mac friends who never shut down their Mac and look strangely at me when I say I do once in a while....
I just think there is a design issue with MC here that represents an opportunity for JRiver developers to improve their product on Mac.

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 10:24:15 am »

The bug is still there, since MC 20, both on my Mac Mini, and iMac retina 5k.

Greetings Domi62 -

Although no one from JRiver directly addressed these bugs on this forum, it seems as though they've been fixed.  I'm on V21.0.31.  Are you still having problems?

Still the best media player out there.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up