INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping mono CDs  (Read 5082 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Ripping mono CDs
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:57:23 am »

is there any option which makes ripping mono CDs into mono files ? I can clearly see (by aufacity) that both right and left taracks are in the resulting files (flac, m4a np3 or whatever). I remove the unnecessary channel by audacity as well with a huge space saving but it would be grat that this is done automatically (and prserving tags of cousrse)
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping mono CDs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:04:21 am »

You didn't ask, but here's my opinion:  Trying to do non-standard things to save space is a recipe for problems later on.  Will every device you want to play your songs on support mono?  Probably not.

This reminds me of VBR encoding in MP3s.  Seemed like a great idea to save space at the time.  It turns out to cause no end to problems with various systems (especially when used in a video container).  Now that hard drives are so much bigger, it seems like a silly solution.

Right now, I think disk space is so cheap that everything audio should be ripped at full, lossless, original format.  In a few years, the disk space will be even bigger and cheaper.

Again, just my opinion.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:38:40 am »

thanks, neverthess i do this since many years and i never had a problem: flac, mp3, aac support mono/stero encoding and any software claiming doing this should recognize mono encoding (and IME this happens: samsun smarphone, smixZing, bubble UPnp and also JRiver which I am tsting now).
I would immediately abondon any system which refuses to play a FLAC mono file :)

What I am doing is perfecti=ly standard and supported by the stereo.mono bit in the MPEG header
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »

If they are really identical, wouldn't the compression algorithm already save you 50% automatically?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:18:05 pm »

If they are really identical, wouldn't the compression algorithm already save you 50% automatically?

Pretty sure the flac compression algorithm operates on each channel independently. You can specify mono in a flac file, but it then only contains one data value per time interval.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 04:18:09 am »

this is exactly what i want: tracks like that plays perfectly and avoid unnecessary data storage. do not understand why ripper does not do that automatically (or at least propose) so i have to go thru audacity
Stereo:

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 04:58:56 am »

I found an interesting discussion using sox here
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,97537.0.html
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up