INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does my MC21 occasionally freeeze?  (Read 7833 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
Why does my MC21 occasionally freeeze?
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:31:17 am »

I have upgraded to windows 10. Generally it works well, but I find MC21 occasionally freezes while playing audio with no error messages. I exit out of the JRiver program, restart it, and it works again. How do I stop this occasional problem?

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Why does my MC21 occasionally freeeze?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »

Probably the antimalware program.

Try adding these rules to tell Windows Defender to trust JRiver:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:24:24 am »

Thanks. I will give it a try.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:56:21 pm »

MC21 continued to freeze more frequently so I tried adjusting windows defender as suggested. When I discovered that Windows Defender was off because I installed Webroot antivirus, I uninstalled it and left Windows Defender off, then disconnected from the internet. MC21 still quickly frooze. Next I tried MC18, and then re-downloaded MC20. Both seemed to work without problems. Any ideas? I feel now that it was a total mistake to upgrade to MC21. Please prove me wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:39:06 pm »

It's very likely that it's an antivirus problem.   MC18 may be seen as safe but MC21 not.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »

I understand, but it froze even when Windows Defender was not rinning and Webroot was removed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:39:18 pm »

Do you have NVIDIA video?

Try reading some of the other similar problems

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg704783#msg704783

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

MC21 continued to freeze more frequently so I tried adjusting windows defender as suggested. When I discovered that Windows Defender was off because I installed Webroot antivirus, I uninstalled it and left Windows Defender off, then disconnected from the internet. MC21 still quickly frooze. Next I tried MC18, and then re-downloaded MC20. Both seemed to work without problems. Any ideas? I feel now that it was a total mistake to upgrade to MC21. Please prove me wrong.

Do you play a local library or from a server?

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 03:23:04 pm »

Local library.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »

Do you have NVIDIA video?

How would I check that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 01:43:02 am »

Windows Control Panel > System

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:44:52 am »

Do not have NVIDIA video. MC20 works without freezing, MC21 does not. Very disappointing. Any money back guarantee?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:27:19 am »

We provide a free trial, so we don't offer refunds.

Please take a look at the "Weird Problems" link in my signature for other possibilities.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:16 am »

Make sure you're using the latest build from the top of this board.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:36 pm »

Seems to me that MC21 is not yet stable and should be considered beta. I would say no harm if it was freeware. I have upgraded frequently over the years without a problem. I used to strongly recommended MC.  I would have to say I have lost confidence in JRiver now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:09 am »

I know you believe it's an MC problem, but it isn't.  MC won't normally freeze.  Here's an example of the kind of problem (and solution) we find all the time.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102409.0

If you'll continue to try, we'll find the cause of the problem.

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »

if you recently upgraded to Win10 have you manually verified that your Video drivers are up to date? Old drivers and Win10 will degrade performance at best and might be responsible for your freezes and can even crash programs ... not only JRiver btw. I'd check all your drivers, before blaming the program

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 01:44:22 pm »

I went thru Device Manager and manually upgraded each driver. I also checked manufacturer sites (it's how I rectified a bluetooth issue).

I'm playing hi res music stored on a NAS accessed wirelessly and not having any freezes.

I'd suggest reinstalling MC (due a library back up first, then restore from that backup).

Perhaps also try with a mini-library of locally stored music and see what happens.

My only issue has to do with an MC hang on exit due to auto-import. Maybe try turning auto-import off and restarting MC. (This problem started for me in a latter version of MC 20).

Also, does this happen if no other programs are running?

I'd approach this by trying to eliminate as many variables as you can.

Paul Coddington

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:00:55 pm »

I have upgraded to windows 10. Generally it works well, but I find MC21 occasionally freezes while playing audio with no error messages. I exit out of the JRiver program, restart it, and it works again. How do I stop this occasional problem?

I am getting a repeatable freeze if I jump from track to track rather than allow playback to continue all the way through. If I play a track, then double-click another, up to five tracks in a row or so, then MC hangs with the message "buffering".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:04 am »

It's probably worth looking for similar problems here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg709508#msg709508

With the switch to MC10, we're seeing more driver problems.  Usually these get sorted out by the manufacturers.

Make sure you're using the latest MC21 from the top of the MC21 board.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 05:27:08 am »

For me MC has always frozen in certain situations but this is always (for me anyway) to do with my NAS waking up and MC is waiting for it to come to life. If the NAS is awake and happy MC never freezes.

Jim can anything be done about this. In certain circumstances if the server cannot find drives instead of MC appearing to not respond put a message up saying waiting for drives or just ignore the fact that the drives are not present.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:51:30 am »

It's a Windows issue.  Try searching for a path that doesn't exist.  \\noname\none will also hang.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:43 am »

what i meant was there anything that could be done in this situation. Maybe if windows cant see a path that doesn't exist then Mc times out. What i don't understand if i use Plex in the same situation it doesn't hang ever so if the NAS isn't there it just carry's on as normal no freezing like MC does. So i understand it is a limitation of windows waiting for the path to be there but why not ignore it!

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 09:42:07 am »

I have seen MC freeze occasionally on my W10 machine, not repeatable, with everything on local hard drives. I attribute it to W10, since I have seen file explorer outside MC stop and say "working on it" for a few seconds or more, even when the pc has not been sleeping and all files are local. I've never seen that happen on W8.1

W10 definitely has some ongoing issues in different areas, and using wireless to play HD audio (or anything else) can likely exacerbate file access issues.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

flac.rules

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 09:45:52 am »

I have seen MC freeze occasionally on my W10 machine, not repeatable, with everything on local hard drives. I attribute it to W10, since I have seen file explorer outside MC stop and say "working on it" for a few seconds or more, even when the pc has not been sleeping and all files are local. I've never seen that happen on W8.1

W10 definitely has some ongoing issues in different areas, and using wireless to play HD audio (or anything else) can likely exacerbate file access issues.

Yeah, it seems like that in my home to, win10 seems to be struggling a bit more with those kind of problems in conjunction with MC. But is there nothing that can be done to make the hassle of these problems less?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 10:24:23 am »

Yeah, it seems like that in my home to, win10 seems to be struggling a bit more with those kind of problems in conjunction with MC. But is there nothing that can be done to make the hassle of these problems less?

Wait for a Microsoft solution..... if we ever get one. Still waiting for USB Audio Class 2.0.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

flac.rules

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:12 pm »

Wait for a Microsoft solution..... if we ever get one. Still waiting for USB Audio Class 2.0.

Thats the problem, when will it come, if ever? A lot of windows-problems have existed for over a decade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up