INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrolling through a very large music library  (Read 2695 times)

AudioBorg

• Recent member
Scrolling through a very large music library
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:44:49 pm »

I may be missing a feature or doing something wrong but . . .

Is there a way to avoid scrolling through all the artists (or albums) in my library? Is there any sort of feature like there is for iPhone contacts that shows the alphabet along the right hand side of the screen so that if I want to go to those artists who's name starts with "N" I just select "N" from the alphabet listing and 'boom' I'm right there.

Currently the only way I know of to navigate is the scroll button/slider. When you have a large collection of music (>1.5TB) this can become pretty cumbersome - especially when each time you exit the artist view for another (such as playing now, or playlists) the artist view goes right back to the beginning when you return.

I frequently will queue up a large number of songs from various artists depending upon our mood and having the ability to quickly move through them would be helpful . . . at least to me it would!!  ;D

AB

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Scrolling through a very large music library
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »

You can type the first letter and the list will jump to that letter.  Does that help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 04:11:12 pm »

If you use JRemote this exact interface is provided. However, if you check the Remotes forum, you'll see my thread bemoaning the fact that not every letter of the index alphabet actually works to send you to that section of the library. Someone has hypothesized that, even though the alphabet is displayed as a vertical linear list of 26 letters at the right, it actually works as does texting on keys 2-9 of a phone, so to get to the B section you have to tap A twice. If you tap B, or S, you zoom back to the top of the library (in my case, albums whose names start with numerals, even before the A section). I have not yet tested this to see if it's true. I don't use a phone for JRemote, but an iPad Air2.

So if the JRemote developers can fix this behavior so it works as the interface signals that it should, you'll have exactly what you (and I) want in what is otherwise a terrific and elegant remote product, especially on a hi-res tablet.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

Is there any sort of feature like there is for iPhone contacts that shows the alphabet along the right hand side of the screen so that if I want to go to those artists who's name starts with "N" I just select "N" from the alphabet listing and 'boom' I'm right there.

Yes.  You might want to make a new view, or copy the Artists view and then modify that view.  But it's easy to test.  Go to the Artists view and right click.  Select Customize view.  Then:

Settings > View details > display an alphabet

Now you'll have an alphabet displayed at the top of the view, that you can click on.

(...) - especially when each time you exit the artist view for another (such as playing now, or playlists) the artist view goes right back to the beginning when you return.

You should try using tabs.  Tabs work just like tabs in a web browser.  Above the main viewing area, but below the status area, you'll see the name of your current view.  Just to the right you'll see a blank square.  Click that and you'll get a new tab.  Now you can leave your Artists view open in one tab and do other navigation in a second tab.  When you switch back to the artists tab, it will be exactly where you left it.  I keep 3 or more tabs open all the time for this very reason.

Brian.

AudioBorg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:48:46 am »

AH HA!!!

I knew there would be a way - I just didn't know about it.

I will test out both methods tonight - the keyboard method Matt mentioned (although I generally only use my mouse to navigate) as well as creating a new view with the alphabet displayed along the top of the view - exactly what I was looking for.

couchjr - I do use JRemote on my phone and iPad(s) but most of our listening is done in front of the main stereo where the Mac Mini is connected through the TV with MC displayed in all it's glory. So I'm looking for a native MC solution.

Thanks guys!!

AB
Pages: [1]   Go Up