INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I play a multi-channel dsf file in stereo?  (Read 4774 times)

cupboy

• Junior Woodchuck
Can I play a multi-channel dsf file in stereo?
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:41:34 pm »

If so how is it accomplished?

I get a message that says "something went wrong with playback" which I am unable
to copy and paste otherwise I could post it here. It suggests I use some studio to change
a playback method, or something similar..

I did find this: You set Channels to the number of physical channels you have available

It's already set to 2 channel so what is the problem?

Here's another message I get:
Playback could not be started on the output core audio
using the format Dop 2.8 MHz 5.1
may not be supported by your hardware (well, that's certainly true)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I play a multi-channel dsf file in stereo?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:03:08 pm »

Normally, multichannel audio is mixed down to 2 channel by setting Channels to 2 and letting the JRSS mixer do the downmixing. You set this option in:  Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels

But you're talking about DSD and it looks like you're also bitstreaming DSD.  I'm guessing you have bitstreaming set to DSD in Tools > Options > Audio > Settings .

If that's all correct, then you need to reconfigure MC in some way to down mix your 5.1 DSD to something else, like 2 channel PCM.  As a test, you can just disable bitstreaming (set bitstreaming to NONE) and then try playing that file again.  It should get converted to 2 channel PCM at 352.8 kHz.

If that works, you can set up a special zone *just* for 5.1 channel DSD, which uses these settings.  That way you can continue to bitstream regular 2 channel DSD, but do PCM conversion and down mixing on 5.1 channel DSD.

Brian.

cupboy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »

If I set bitstreaming to off then DSD is not played at all on the Marantz USB DAC. The display will show "unsupported". That includes both stereo and multichannel. I can play DSD if it's stereo and bitstreaming is on.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 06:35:37 pm »

What are your Channels set to (in DSP Studio > Output Format)?  What about Mixing?

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:51:26 pm »

Also:

1xDSD gets converted to 352.8kHz PCM.  2xDSD gets converted to 705.6 kHz. 

So your DAC either has to accept those formats, OR you have to set MC's DSP Sample Rate converter to down convert those rates to something that your DAC can accept.  For example, if your DAC only supports up to 96kHz PCM, you could set 352.8 and 705.6 to be converted down to 96kHz, and then it should play.

Brian.

cupboy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:12 pm »

Also:

1xDSD gets converted to 352.8kHz PCM.  2xDSD gets converted to 705.6 kHz. 

So your DAC either has to accept those formats, OR you have to set MC's DSP Sample Rate converter to down convert those rates to something that your DAC can accept.  For example, if your DAC only supports up to 96kHz PCM, you could set 352.8 and 705.6 to be converted down to 96kHz, and then it should play.

Brian.
Excellent -- It works when set to 192kHz. Thanks. Now if I can find a way to just have multichannel DSD play this way, and the stereo ones play bitstreamed without having to change settings each time..

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:56:29 pm »

Ok, glad to hear we have the problem figured out.  Now, how to do this automatically:

You need a new zone dedicated to playing multi-channel DSD.  Add a zone, then configure it to play DSD as PCM.  Test it with a multi-channel DSD file.  Once that works, you need to add a zone switch rule.  It's pretty easy.  The zone switch rule tells MC when to use your new zone.  Using the search wizard, you'll set up a rule that says something like:  channels > 2 and sample rate >= 2.8 Mhz.  Essentially, you're just trying to identify DSD files with more than 2 channels, so you set up rules that will match.

Make sure, in your zone switch rule, to tell it to stop output in your primary zone.

It may take a little bit of experimentation, but you'll get it working.  Let us know how you do!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up