INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange error trying to rename - Move TV Season  (Read 5945 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Strange error trying to rename - Move TV Season
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:49:31 pm »

I am trying to use my Rename / Move expression to move Season 3 of True Blood.  However for some reason for this particular season I get the error message pictured below.

This is season 3 and marked as such in the tags with the episode data.  It currently resides in \\jctterrastation\HDDArchive009\HDDArchive009\TV Shows\True Blood\Season 03 M2\   (the "M2" was a temporary folder I placed the files in as I was having the same problem when the files were in the "Season 03" folder directly.)

My rename / move expression (Which I use regularly) is as follows: 
Base Path:  \\JCTTERRASTATION\HDDArchive009\HDDArchive009\TV Shows\
Folder Rule:  [SeriesSort]\Season [Season]
File Rule:  [SeriesSort] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]

(SeriesSort is a self generated field I created which is automatically derived from the "Series" name and has filled in correctly).

After clicking "Cancel" as "Try Again" just brings up the same error message. I get this subsequent error message:

Again clicking on "Try Again" produces the same message.   Clicking "Cancel" proceeds to this error message:

The same happens for each of the 12 episodes selected.  Then I get the following error message:

Strange thing is I can play the episodes just fine so they are in fact there.  and I have also verified by looking in Windows explorer that they are there.

Here's the kicker.  When performing the exact same task for Season 7 of the same show using the same R&M saved preset it works just fine.

If I am understanding the error message correctly it is saying that it cannot find the source file.  But the file is there and like I said I am able to play it just fine.

Carl

CountryBumkin

Re: Strange error trying to rename - Move TV Season
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:00:47 pm »

I'm not sure what is going on with your system -

but be sure to turn Off "Auto Import" at Tools>options>Library & Folders when your moving files else the "run auto import in background" may start doing "its thing" before the "move" function has completed.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »

I'm guessing: 

I'd say check your permissions on the share, the folder, and the files themselves.  I recall something like this coming up a few months ago.  I don't remember the specific details, but it had something to do with folder permissions not necessarily matching file permissions.  They all had to be read/write for these types of operations (moves) to work correctly.

Brian.

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »

As a test I used Total commander to rename the files to simple "True Blood S03Exx" where "xx" is 01, 02, 03 etc...

If Total commander can rename the files I don't see why JRiver can't?

Also the Season 7 files are in the same sub folder on the same drive as the Season 3 files.

In troubleshooting this I have created new folder (Which is why it is now "Season 03 M2" instead of "Season 03".

I have renamed the files as mentioned above.  I have removed the season from MC21 and re-imported after performing the file renaming and folder renaming mentioned above but I still get the same error message when trying to rename / Move on this particular season??

This is really strange.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

Antone else have any ideas on this?

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »

Bump

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »

are you sure the folder and files aren't read only?

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:36:25 pm »

I have created a new folder, Copied the files into that folder.  Used Total Commander to Auto Rename the files.  re-Imported into MC.  Used the
"Get Movies & TV Info" to update the tags with no problems.

I don't think I would be able to do all that if the folder were read-only.

I only get the errors when trying to use the "Rename & Move" using an existing template that works fine on all other shows  (Including Season 7 which recently updated) using the same preset.

Have to run out now.  So I won't have a chance to play around with this again until I get back later this afternoon.  Hopefully there are a few suggestions I can try by then.  :-)

Carl

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:30:45 pm »

I'm not sure why you won't just check the permissions on the files and the folders.  That would answer the question.  Maybe it's not the answer, but until you check, we won't know.  :)  Good luck.

Brian.

jctcom

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »

The files and folders are on a NAS server and they have the same permissions as all the files and folders below them.  I have checked and they are all the same.  In fact there isn't any real way to give separate permissions to higher level files and folders.  they are all inherited from the containing folder.

In addition to that.  Like I said before.  If it were a permissions issue I would not be able to edit and rename / Move the files around from other programs on this same computer (Explorer, Total Commander, Even JRiver is able to add / edit the tags).

Carl

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »

Total Commander is not a good compatability test because the entire point of it is that it works around issues and limitations of Windows Explorer (like path length restrictions, for example).

These kinds of errors are always an indicator of a file system issue.  It could be something with the files themselves (bad security descriptors, too long pathnames, invalid characters in path, etc), or an indication of more systemic issues. That error dialog is a Windows OS error dialog, not something generated by MC.

I'd certainly recommend running chkdsk and verifying permissions for the file system and share.

There are other possible causes too. Way too many for us to diagnose.  Here:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=file+windows+%22could+not+find+this+item%22
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jctcom

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:47:55 pm »

Hmmm.  The drives were in the process of running a consistency check at the time I was trying this due to the fact that I added in a new larger hard drive.  I suppose something could have locked the folder or files in some strange way during the consistency check.  (though I still would not understand why it wouldn't affect files in other folders on the exact same level such as the previously mentioned Season 7 of the same series.)

The consistency check has finished now so I will give it another try.  

Carl.

Edit:  Actually now that I think about it.  The consistency check was being run on the main RAID array of the system.  These files are on a USB attached drive.  Still I suppose there might be a cache of some sort that could be involved on the Main volume?

jctcom

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »

Ok.  It has to be something within these files???

Here is what I have done for further testing of this issue.

Using Windows Explorer I copied the original folder for this season and Pasted into a completely different physical hard drive.  Then in MC I highlighted the affected episodes and performed a "Shift" Delete and selected the "Remove from database and hard drive" option.  I then re-imported the files from the new physical hard drive (Hard drives are connected to NAS via USB 3.0 in case that matters.  Both hard drives are semi-permanent and have not been removed from the system since this issue started).

I then used the "Get Movie and TV Details" top update the tags (Though it looked to me like all the info was already there from the previous times the tags had been updated on the other drive).

I then once again tried the "Rename / Move" option to get them back to the drive they are supposed to be on. 

As you can see in the updated error messages (1st post images have been updated) which now reflect the new location of the files (HDDArchive007) I am still running into the same problem.  These error messages come up immediately after clicking on "Ok" in the rename / move dialogue.

So I guess my next move is to know if someone wants me to post a link to one of the files so they can test on their system?

also the files have been renamed to a basing naming convention of "True Blood S03Exx" so the naming of the files is no longer an issue.

Carl

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »

I've read everything you've written on this.  I don't claim to have the answer.  But I'm still stuck on ownership and permissions.  I would explicitly take ownership of these files.  Then make sure that write permission was enabled for ME, the owner of the files.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I'd move the files to an internal hard drive and eliminate the NAS as part of the chain.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 05:35:20 pm »

Ok.  It has to be something within these files???

It is a filesystem issue or error that is almost certainly specific to those files, or their parent folder. I'm not guessing. I'm sure. I've encountered this issue many times in the past. It can, unfortunately, have a variety of causes. Probably the most common cause, aside from general filesystem errors or permissions issues, is from delayed write failures on the drive where the files are stored. This leaves the filesystem metadata and the file data on disk in an inconsistent state, and the files can get hopelessly locked.

If the same issues don't occur with all files on the filesystem (or same drive) then it is something broken in those particular files (or one of their parent directories). In some cases (though this is relatively rare), it can be just that the volume format is hopelessly hosed and there is nothing that can be done other than to nuke the entire drive. This is much less likely when the files are on a network share, though (but still possible, the corruption or error could be on the system hosting the share).

Did you look at any of the results in the Google search I linked to above?

The most common ways to fix things like this are:

* Run chkdsk on the volume where the files are stored.
* To correct filesystem or network share permissions, and force the changes to apply to subfiles and folders.
* To copy them elsewhere and delete (if possible) the original source directory, then move them back to a freshly created directory.
* To do the same as above from Safe Mode (this is usually only possible if the files are on a local drive, not a network share).
* To do the above from the command line, referencing only the short filenames (8.3 style)
* To copy them elsewhere and then delete the original files one at a time.
* To do the above from the command line, referencing only the short filenames (8.3 style)
* To do the command line tricks from safe mode.

In rare cases, there may be little you can do other than to reformat the source volume.

jctcom

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:18 pm »

There is no question of ownership or permissions.  The files have been moved to a completely separate physical hard drive.  The folder(s) newly created.  There is no file / sub folder settings that are different from the parent folders under which they were created.

Other files within the same set of folders are able to be manipulated, renamed, moved without problem by MC, Windows Explorer and Total Commander  (I Know I Know you said that TC cheats (Which I really like) but the other programs are able to manipulate these files without problems from the same computer to the same set of sub folders / files.

I would not know how to take "Ownership" of a specific sub set of folders on a drive that is attached to the NAS and I am not even going to think about going into the Linux commands to do it when I know it is not the issue.

If no one is interested in downloading one of these files for testing then I will try and find another set and just dump these.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 05:42:43 pm »

It is a filesystem issue or error that is almost certainly specific to those files, or their parent folder. I'm not guessing. I'm sure. I've encountered this issue many times in the past. It can, unfortunately, have a variety of causes. Probably the most common cause, aside from general filesystem errors or permissions issues, is from delayed write failures on the drive where the files are stored.

If the same issues don't occur with all files on the filesystem (or same drive) then it is something broken in those particular files (or one of their parent directories). In some cases (though this is relatively rare), it can be just that the volume format is hopelessly hosed and there is nothing that can be done other than to nuke the entire drive. This is much less likely when the files are on a network share, though (but still possible, the corruption or error could be on the system hosting the share).

Did you look at any of the results in the Google search I linked to above?

This problem is occurring after having moved the files to a completely different physical drive with a newly created set of sub folders.  So the issues is with the files themselves.  Not the drive or volume they are on.

Carl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 05:47:55 pm »

I updated my post above with specific suggestions. It is likely the issue is with the files themselves, I agree. This can be due to parts of the filesystem attached to the files that aren't user-accessible though (cluster tips, mostly).

Often chkdsk (or fsck if it is a UNIX-hosted volume) can find and correct these issues, but not always. It has been unclear if you've run that on the volume.

jctcom

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 05:57:33 pm »

I don't think there is a way for me to run "CHKDSK" on a USB drive attached to my NAS box (Synology DS1512+), and I don't feel like learning the Linux / Unix? commands and taking a chance on causing some other problem with the drive(s) at a lower level.

I feel certain that the problem is within the files themselves so I will copy them to the local drive where MC is installed and run Chkdsk on that drive this evening or something and see if they can then be renamed / moved after importing them from the local drive??

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up