INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Player OSD Issue  (Read 16314 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Video Player OSD Issue
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:34:46 pm »

I'm having problems getting the OSD to display correctly when playing a video fullscreen. I found a forum thread by BryanC documenting the same problem but there were no answers.

I'm having issues bringing up the OSD during full-screen video playback. It will flash on for a second and then disappear.

I'm seeing exactly the same issue. The OSD will display briefly or will flash on and off. Is there any solution to this either in MC or in Linux itself.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Video Player OSD Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:16:49 pm »

I'm having problems getting the OSD to display correctly when playing a video fullscreen. I found a forum thread by BryanC documenting the same problem but there were no answers.

I'm seeing exactly the same issue. The OSD will display briefly or will flash on and off. Is there any solution to this either in MC or in Linux itself.

Are you seeing this with dual monitors?  If so It's a longstanding bug.  It mostly works correctly for me on a single screen, but always does exactly what you're describing when I go fullscreen on one of multiple monitors.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:17:17 pm »

Ah, I never even thought of that. Yes I have a dual monitor setup. As it's a long standing bug I don't suppose a fix is coming soon then.

Thanks very much for clarifying it for me though.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »

Ah, I never even thought of that. Yes I have a dual monitor setup. As it's a long standing bug I don't suppose a fix is coming soon then.

Thanks very much for clarifying it for me though.

The last word I heard was that dual-monitors wasn't fully supported, so we're on our own for now.  Other than the OSD, fullscreen mostly works now though (it used to fullscreen across both monitors!).  I'm looking forward to a fix as well FWIW, but video development on the Linux side has been incrementally improving so I'm sure it will eventually get solved.  File a bug in the build thread once in a while to make sure it stays on the radar.

Ekpen

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:59 am »

I am up with my MC 21.0.37. Audio -Flac plays well from the desktop, meaning I  can sit in front of the PC and play Audio.

In the case of Video (mkv) ripped files, I am unable to get my movies to play. A few days ago, I added a Samsung 4k tv  40 inch JU407100 as a second monitor/TV.. Audio plays with single or dual monitor, but video will not play either with single or dual monitor/ TV.
From the terminal mode, I ran mediacenter21, resulting in (core dump) error segment faults.

The good news is that, I can watch movies from the same Linux box through the network all day with no problem..
I am currently using an Asus All in one desktop dual boot with Windows 10 64 bit and Ubuntu 15.10 .
when I go back to Windows mode, I am able to watch movies using MC 21.0.37 both with single screen and dual screen modes.

What do I need to do at least to make the video play on a single monitor at the minimum?
Any help on this please ?

Thanks.
George

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »

It may have something to do with the containers within the mkv file, that can lay on Windows but not linux. I see you've raised this in the "State of Video Playback" in the MC20 forum. Perhaps you could create a log and email it through so they can investigate?

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

It may have something to do with the containers within the mkv file, that can lay on Windows but not linux. I see you've raised this in the "State of Video Playback" in the MC20 forum. Perhaps you could create a log and email it through so they can investigate?

Greetings:

I was not running Linux then, who knows, I will check my post in MC 20.
I just started Linux a month or two ago.  The weird thing is the Mkv video can  play via the network from anywhere in the house. I will wait for a few more responses or feedback and Also find a way to send the log to our engineers.

Thanks for your time.
George

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:00:48 am »

A log file has been sent to Matt, I just remember now  I should have sent it to Bob.
Bob can you get the log from Matt, or do you want me to resend to you directly?

Thanks.

George

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:04 am »

A log file has been sent to Matt, I just remember now  I should have sent it to Bob.
Bob can you get the log from Matt, or do you want me to resend to you directly?

Thanks.

George

I forwarded it to Bob.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Ekpen

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »

I forwarded it to Bob.

Thank you sir.
George

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »

I can reproduce the flashing on a single monitor.
There is a lot of magic going on in the OSD (according to Hendrik) so this could take a while to fix but in the meantime you can turn the OSD off in options (just search for OSD).

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 08:29:33 pm »

There is a lot of magic going on in the OSD (according to Hendrik) so this could take a while to fix but in the meantime you can turn the OSD off in options (just search for OSD).

Thanks.
George

Ekpen

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:41 pm »

Greetings:
I have more details. ( I have the MC 21.039,now and I have disable and enable the OSD-- no effect.
I have at one time used the restore to restore the database from Windows -MC to the Linux Ubuntu 15.10  with Unity desktop.. .
Flac plays well with no issues, but Video just will not play.
Yesterday I saw an error " Database will be opened in Read Only Mode".. Where this error is coming from, I do not know.
I have also deleted the entire database and re-imported from scratch, yet I still get this error. Now the entire library is empty. The windows MC has no issue at all playing Mkv, flac audio.
Another error that surprised me was I tried to watch a movie, It says "can't play a text file without Video or Visualizations.
It looks like  it is reading  an mkv file as text, then I tired for the purpose of testing to play an mk3d file, I know it is not going to play, Linux does not support 3D, just for testing and debugging purpose, I got same error Can't play a text file without Video or visualization.
Later, I installed Gnome player, then fired up "Downton Abbey", The Gnome player started playing the mkv, but this is outside of MC.
My point is this, if the database will open in read only mode, why does it play fine with Flac ?
When I tried to run MC from the terminal... I get "core dumps" segmentation error.
At this moment, I have deleted the entire database.

Thanks.
George

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »

Greetings:
I have more details. ( I have the MC 21.039,now and I have disable and enable the OSD-- no effect.
I have at one time used the restore to restore the database from Windows -MC to the Linux Ubuntu 15.10  with Unity desktop.. .
Flac plays well with no issues, but Video just will not play.
Yesterday I saw an error " Database will be opened in Read Only Mode".. Where this error is coming from, I do not know.
I have also deleted the entire database and re-imported from scratch, yet I still get this error. Now the entire library is empty. The windows MC has no issue at all playing Mkv, flac audio.
Another error that surprised me was I tried to watch a movie, It says "can't play a text file without Video or Visualizations.
It looks like  it is reading  an mkv file as text, then I tired for the purpose of testing to play an mk3d file, I know it is not going to play, Linux does not support 3D, just for testing and debugging purpose, I got same error Can't play a text file without Video or visualization.
Later, I installed Gnome player, then fired up "Downton Abbey", The Gnome player started playing the mkv, but this is outside of MC.
My point is this, if the database will open in read only mode, why does it play fine with Flac ?
When I tried to run MC from the terminal... I get "core dumps" segmentation error.
At this moment, I have deleted the entire database.

Thanks.
George
Man there is a lot to unpack here.

1) The database should only give you that "read-only" message if there is another instance of MC running.
2) How are you playing the .mkv's that are giving you trouble? Inside of MC, clicking on the file or some other way?
3) The OSD is the progress bar at the bottom of the player window, not the MC skinned bar at the top. Which is giving you trouble?
4) Did you somehow run MC as root (which could mess up your user permissions)?

Ekpen

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:10 pm »

Man there is a lot to unpack here.

1) The database should only give you that "read-only" message if there is another instance of MC running.
2) How are you playing the .mkv's that are giving you trouble? Inside of MC, clicking on the file or some other way?
3) The OSD is the progress bar at the bottom of the player window, not the MC skinned bar at the top. Which is giving you trouble?
4) Did you somehow run MC as root (which could mess up your user permissions)?

Glad to read your response.
1) There is only one instance of MC running.  I have about 1000 ripped mkv files in different folders. I must admit that I am using an asus ET2702i All In One PC both for Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.10 with  Unity desktop. Both MC oses point to the same folders. I use dual boot for one platform one at a time. This is a temp setup until I decide to have Ubuntu on a separate server. Do you think this will trigger "the Read " error?

Under Windows-MC, The mkv files play well in standard view and Theaterview modes. I also  have no issue playing my mkv via gizmo, eos, and jremote, including watching movies from my master bedroom.

The same statement is true when I boot up with Ubuntu. Eos, JRemote Gizmo and watching movies across the rooms work well.
Only when I am in front of the Asus PC, that is when I have this "read error " MC for Ubuntu thinking my mkv files are text files.

One forum member hinted that Linux may have a different way of treating mkv  in comparison to Windows.

2) Already answered.. error brings up its ugly head when I am sitting in front of the PC- really I was hoping to watch an mkv file from another Samsung JU 40-7100 4K tv when I discovered, playing mkv directly was not possible. All this time I have been using JRemote, Gizmo Eos to enjoy my mkv movies.

3) Nothing appears on the screen except a read error.

At times I have uninstalled and reinstalled, then started MC from the terminal mode. So frustrating, I have to disconnect the second display, used the display in Asus main PC, same result, no image on the screen. When I go to terminal mode again, it tells me segmentation error --screen dumb the quoted "read error".
If the database is giving a read error, why does it not affect audio- my Flac files. The Flack files play fine either on the new Samsung 4K tv or on the built in All In One PC sitting in front the computer. As a test, I installed Gnome mplayer, I was able to watch mkv movie directly  on the display with no issues.

4) I think I am guilty on this. I have on several occasions run MC from the terminal mode in the past, during this process, I may have mistakenly logged in as root.
Thanks for your time.
George

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:29:00 am »

Glad to read your response.
1) There is only one instance of MC running.  I have about 1000 ripped mkv files in different folders. I must admit that I am using an asus ET2702i All In One PC both for Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.10 with  Unity desktop. Both MC oses point to the same folders. I use dual boot for one platform one at a time. This is a temp setup until I decide to have Ubuntu on a separate server. Do you think this will trigger "the Read " error?

Under Windows-MC, The mkv files play well in standard view and Theaterview modes. I also  have no issue playing my mkv via gizmo, eos, and jremote, including watching movies from my master bedroom.

The same statement is true when I boot up with Ubuntu. Eos, JRemote Gizmo and watching movies across the rooms work well.
Only when I am in front of the Asus PC, that is when I have this "read error " MC for Ubuntu thinking my mkv files are text files.

One forum member hinted that Linux may have a different way of treating mkv  in comparison to Windows.

2) Already answered.. error brings up its ugly head when I am sitting in front of the PC- really I was hoping to watch an mkv file from another Samsung JU 40-7100 4K tv when I discovered, playing mkv directly was not possible. All this time I have been using JRemote, Gizmo Eos to enjoy my mkv movies.

3) Nothing appears on the screen except a read error.

At times I have uninstalled and reinstalled, then started MC from the terminal mode. So frustrating, I have to disconnect the second display, used the display in Asus main PC, same result, no image on the screen. When I go to terminal mode again, it tells me segmentation error --screen dumb the quoted "read error".
If the database is giving a read error, why does it not affect audio- my Flac files. The Flack files play fine either on the new Samsung 4K tv or on the built in All In One PC sitting in front the computer. As a test, I installed Gnome mplayer, I was able to watch mkv movie directly  on the display with no issues.

4) I think I am guilty on this. I have on several occasions run MC from the terminal mode in the past, during this process, I may have mistakenly logged in as root.
Thanks for your time.
George

You can fix ownership issues by doing this (as the user MC is supposed to run under) at a prompt:

cd ; touch ugidfile ; sudo chown -R --reference=ugidfile .jriver

There are potential issues with filesystem characters. Does that seem like it could be an issue with the files that don't play?

In MC what is in the "compression" field of a file that won't play?

Other videos play, not mkv?

Finally, you are trying to play in the MC gui and not by double clicking on a file with the file manager, correct?

Ekpen

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:13 pm »

You can fix ownership issues by doing this (as the user MC is supposed to run under) at a prompt:

There are potential issues with filesystem characters. Does that seem like it could be an issue with the files that don't play?

Finally, you are trying to play in the MC gui and not by double clicking on a file with the file manager, correct?

Mkv is the only type I have configured for video in MC, both MC for Windows and MC for Linux.
Flac is the only type I have configured in MC for Audio .

Compression field reads: mkv video (video h264, audio : dts-hd ma) This is a typical info on this field, audio part may vary.

I am in standard view, within this view mkv does not play  if I hit play or click on the cover art. I have almost 1000 mkv files, anyone I click to play will not play.

In my last response, I stated I installed Gnome-Mplayer, as soon as i clicked on the mkv file within the Gnome Mplayer, by going to the folder and file, (same folder MC uses)  in this case Downton Abbey, it started playing.
MC database contains Flac and mkv , would the permission not affect Flac audio files? Why is the permissions level only affecting mkv? In my opinion, if it affects mkv, it should also affect Flac.
In anyway, I will do as you suggested by changing file ownership later on today.

Thanks.
George

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:45 pm »

Mkv is the only type I have configured for video in MC, both MC for Windows and MC for Linux.
Flac is the only type I have configured in MC for Audio .

Compression field reads: mkv video (video h264, audio : dts-hd ma) This is a typical info on this field, audio part may vary.

I am in standard view, within this view mkv does not play  if I hit play or click on the cover art. I have almost 1000 mkv files, anyone I click to play will not play.

In my last response, I stated I installed Gnome-Mplayer, as soon as i clicked on the mkv file within the Gnome Mplayer, by going to the folder and file, (same folder MC uses)  in this case Downton Abbey, it started playing.
MC database contains Flac and mkv , would the permission not affect Flac audio files? Why is the permissions level only affecting mkv? In my opinion, if it affects mkv, it should also affect Flac.
In anyway, I will do as you suggested by changing file ownership later on today.

Thanks.
George
Thanks for the information!
The file ownership fix is just for dealing with the "database opened read-only" issue.

It's just possible that our video engine in linux can't play your particular .mkv.
It's also possible that it can't play video at all with the XServer you are running which leads to the two following questions.

1) Can you import a file in a different format and try to play the video? Something simple like a mpeg2/ac3 in a mpeg2 container.
2) What is the XServer running on your linux install? (Nouveau has known issues).

Ekpen

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 08:11:37 pm »

Thanks for the information!
The file ownership fix is just for dealing with the "database opened read-only" issue.

It's just possible that our video engine in linux can't play your particular .mkv.
It's also possible that it can't play video at all with the XServer you are running which leads to the two following questions.

1) Can you import a file in a different format and try to play the video? Something simple like a mpeg2/ac3 in a mpeg2 container.
2) What is the XServer running on your linux install? (Nouveau has known issues).

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 Unity desktop.
I am confused here about Xserver.. how do I find out? Myself too, I am new to Linux- Ubuntu.
Has a forum member tried other type of mkv? I use makemkv to rip.
Can I send you a small mkv just to test? I am ripping at the moment ripping Downton Abbey season 6. I can get a small file, rip to mkv then send to you.
Answer to Question 1... All my files are in mkv and Flac. can you on your end send me a small file in other format  for me to import and test?

I think the current video engine in our build can not handle mkv, maybe my particular mkv
A member at the very moment I brought this issue up wrote that Windows handling of mkv file is different from the way Linux handles it. I am beginning to agree with his thinking.
Well, you folks are the trusted Software Engineers, I am sure your camp over there will revamp the video engine to support mkv.
Nothing lost, I am glad to be able to bring out something that will make MC for Linux work better.

I am now back on the Windows platform.
if you want me to send you a small file, I will.
Thanks for your time.
George

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:32 am »

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 Unity desktop.
I am confused here about Xserver.. how do I find out? Myself too, I am new to Linux- Ubuntu.
Has a forum member tried other type of mkv? I use makemkv to rip.
Can I send you a small mkv just to test? I am ripping at the moment ripping Downton Abbey season 6. I can get a small file, rip to mkv then send to you.
Answer to Question 1... All my files are in mkv and Flac. can you on your end send me a small file in other format  for me to import and test?

I think the current video engine in our build can not handle mkv, maybe my particular mkv
A member at the very moment I brought this issue up wrote that Windows handling of mkv file is different from the way Linux handles it. I am beginning to agree with his thinking.
Well, you folks are the trusted Software Engineers, I am sure your camp over there will revamp the video engine to support mkv.
Nothing lost, I am glad to be able to bring out something that will make MC for Linux work better.

I am now back on the Windows platform.
if you want me to send you a small file, I will.
Thanks for your time.
George
We do play mkv in linux, I was suggesting to try another format to see if the problem was with your particular formatted mkv or in general with the XServer video driver.

If you have Nvidia video hardware and you are using the default install you are almost certainly using nouveau. This can be changed, there are other posts in this forum on how to do so.

You could send a small sample file to bob (at) jriver (dot) com and I'll verify that it can play in linux.

Ekpen

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »

We do play mkv in linux, I was suggesting to try another format to see if the problem was with your particular formatted mkv or in general with the XServer video driver.

If you have Nvidia video hardware and you are using the default install you are almost certainly using nouveau. This can be changed, there are other posts in this forum on how to do so.

You could send a small sample file to bob (at) jriver (dot) com and I'll verify that it can play in linux.

I will try sending you  a sample file soon.

Thanks
George

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:26 pm »

If this issue is related to Nouveau, I'd suggest trying the Nvidia proprietary drivers. If you're using a 900 series card like I am, you'll need to use the proprietary drivers regardless (as Nouveau lacks 900 series support at the moment).

You can easily do this by adding the PPA found here: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
Press Enter when it asks then...

sudo apt-get update
Followed by...

sudo apt-get install nvidia-352
This is Nvidia's long lived branch of drivers. You can use newer drivers if desired, for example just replace nvidia-352 with another like nvidia-361 and install.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Ekpen

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »

If this issue is related to Nouveau, I'd suggest trying the Nvidia proprietary drivers. If you're using a 900 series card like I am, you'll need to use the proprietary drivers regardless (as Nouveau lacks 900 series support at the moment).

You can easily do this by adding the PPA found here: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
Press Enter when it asks then...

sudo apt-get update
Followed by...

sudo apt-get install nvidia-352
This is Nvidia's long lived branch of drivers. You can use newer drivers if desired, for example just replace nvidia-352 with another like nvidia-361 and install.

Greetings:
The computer I am on now is an Asus ET2702i All in one , win 10. The graphic card is using AMD Radeon R9 M 275X
Thanks
George

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »

Ahh, in that case disregard. ;)
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Ekpen

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 11:49:19 am »

Ahh, in that case disregard. ;)
For this Asus PC, I will disregard. But I have two servers 95% ready that will be using Nvidia cards.
All I need on one of the servers is to just add hard drives (6tib capacity).
Those are going to run Ubuntu and only Ubuntu . Your notes will at one point be useable.

Thanks.

George

Ekpen

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »

I got your e-mail. too bad I am unable to get mkv to play directly on the PC  at this end.

I did compare the fileAssociations.xml for Windows with Linux, I see no issues with corruption,(I maybe wrong). The video sections of both are the same. The mkv area is exactly the same, this is what puzzles me, it is fine on MC for Windows, but not for Linux.
At this point, I  thought of deleting the xml, but not possible.
Just thinking out loud: next update, anyway to make the code inspect the xml, if it is found to be corrupt, will alert the installer to allow over writing, same for database read only error, if the MC database is read only, will also alert and ask permission to "reset". Note. I ran the instruction you sent "cd; touch....) I got no error .
I do not know what is wrong.
Also, this add on request. Anyway to ask installer to select drive or folder to install? (Putting MC and the OS in same folder to me is not a good way. If the OS is corrupt, then you have to re-install MC
OR

Anyway to wipe out the entire MC installs then re-install the package?

Thanks for taking your time to help out. You can destroy or keep the sample I sent you.

George

Edit:
I again  noticed  when I placed a Samsung remote pointer on the cover art, it just will show a circle with a line across, meaning :"NO"
I also found out that Unity desktop produced an error  It asked me to relaunch Unity.
I am beginning to think part of the issues is the "Read Only" Database mode.
If this read only mode can be corrected, it could fix the issue.
I ran the instruction you sent to me via the forum. I can not tell if it produced the desired result, as I received no error.
As a result of this mess, I just removed the entire MC21 installation after Ubuntu told me it is an unknown application.
I hope this removal will delete all folders and sub folders contained within MC install.
I will wait either for your next suggestion or from forum members on what to do.
I will stick with the Windows version.
Thanks.
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up