INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: intermittent stops in DSD playback JRiver Linux  (Read 3408 times)

angelus1969

• Recent member
intermittent stops in DSD playback JRiver Linux
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:44:02 am »

Hello,

Just bought the Chord Mojo and having some problems with playback (DOP) of DSD files. There are intermittent, short stops in playback, not really at fixed intervals. The computer used is pretty powerful (FX6300 six-core, 16gigs memory, DSD library on SSD), so I don't think it's the system. It's running Apricity OS (an Arch based distro). Nothing I tried so far helps. I tried most settings in JRiver, memory playback turned off/on, smaller prebuffering/bigger prebuffering. I also removed the pulseaudio server, but also with no effect.
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Angelo

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: intermittent stops in DSD playback JRiver Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:03:40 am »

Did you try to fiddle with the alsa buffer settings?

They can be set in MC under Tools>Options>Audio>Device Settings

Unfortunately there is not a settings that fitt's all dac's (specially playing Hi-res);
For Hi-res i would start with half of the default buffer time.

angelus1969

• Recent member
Re: intermittent stops in DSD playback JRiver Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:26:19 am »

Did you try to fiddle with the alsa buffer settings?

They can be set in MC under Tools>Options>Audio>Device Settings

Unfortunately there is not a settings that fitt's all dac's (specially playing Hi-res);
For Hi-res i would start with half of the default buffer time.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't (yet) fiddle with those, but things have gotten a lot weirder:
* JRiver 21 Linux: problems when in DOP mode, when I play DSD material in DSD to PCM mode, no problems
* I also installed the trail of HQplayer: same problems in DOP mode
* MPD (something I have quite some experience with several previous setups, non-DSD ones that is): same problems in DOP mode

Then I decided to create a simple Win10 environment in Virtualbox (same hardware, Mojo on same USB port), installed JRiver 21 (Windows ofcourse :) ) and the driver for the Mojo: NO problem in DOP mode. Then stopped the VM, started JRiver Linux again and guess what.... no problems in DOP mode?! Thinking I'm going mad, rebooted the computer, started JRiver Linux and again the same problems in DOP mode. Then decided to either stop the machine, have a nice Brand IPA beer or throwing the whole thing out of the window and having a LOT of IPA's ;)
After the IPA, started the machine again, but now went straight for HQplayer to start with...... NO problems........ Stopped HQplayer, started JRiver Linux.... problems. Stopped JRiver and started HQplayer again...... problems..... Now I'm officially stumped. JRiver Linux is doing something weird, that's for sure. And now for those LOTS of IPAs and some Grolsch Kanon :)

Regards, Angelo
Pages: [1]   Go Up